Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Absolutely, just like no one is making a big stink about the egregious actions at UNC. Somehow, they were able to shield the Athletic Department by pointing out that it was a university-wide sham and not done solely to "aid" the student athletes.

It's not about tradition and rivalries. It's not about ethics and morals. It's about money, just money and nothing but money.

Sad ... but you have to admit the truth in this.

Reaction Score
The assistant coach / whistleblower says he turned over the tapes in July. Miraculously Pernetti finds the tapes and views them right after the B1G is signed sealed and delivered in Nov? This lawsuit will never go to trial if they know what's good for them.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The assistant coach / whistleblower says he turned over the tapes in July. Miraculously Pernetti finds the tapes and views them right after the B1G is signed sealed and delivered in Nov? This lawsuit will never go to trial if they know what's good for them.

Murdock should ask for 10% of the Big10 future earnings - we have a lottery winner.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it appears Tim Pernetti is only keeping his job because he got RU in the B1G. According to a lot of people on this board, a schools AD has very little involvement in conference realignment. B***!! I'm still pissed about Tom Jurich lobbying for the ACC while Warde was chilling in St. Thomas. Someone needs to inform Warde his job responsibilities include picking up the phone once in a while, and not just watching games and pounding food.

Reaction Score
Caught this story on the train into Manhattan today. Basically, nothing matters, Rutgers got into the B1G, all else is forgiven.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/education/college/Sullivan_Big_Ten_can_be_key_to_repairing_the_damage_at_Rutgers.html
As a counter point, Rutgers’s faculty, whom has never liked the recent focus and investment into athletics at the expense of academics, appear to be gearing-up for a flight to oust the President over this issue.
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/rutgers-faculty-members-demand-president-s-resignation-after-mike-rice-scandal-1.5003785?firstfree=yes

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it appears Tim Pernetti is only keeping his job because he got RU in the B1G.

Yeah, so. He has consistantly stated that he made his decision based on what was the right thing for Rutgers. Getting into the B1G trumps all else. Mission Accomplished. Maybe this kerfluffle wouldn't have mattered, but maybe it would have. So what if this makes Rutgers a punchline? Rutgers has always been a punchline. But now they have an extra $25M per year coming in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a counter point, Rutgers’s faculty, whom has never liked the recent focus and investment into athletics at the expense of academics, appear to be gearing-up for a flight to oust the President over this issue.

Shut up and teach.

Reaction Score
Yeah, so. He has consistantly stated that he made his decision based on what was the right thing for Rutgers. Getting into the B1G trumps all else. Mission Accomplished. Maybe this kerfluffle wouldn't have mattered, but maybe it would have. So what if this makes Rutgers a punchline? Rutgers has always been a punchline. But now they have an extra $25M per year coming in.

You are completely missing my point because I guess you didn't read my entire post. I'm saying the AD DOES HAVE AN IMPACT ON CR. My post is about Warde and not any moral judgement on Pernetti. I agree he did his job

Reaction Score
There's an article on yahoo.com today with this sentence in it.

Some at Rutgers, a long time also ran in major sports........

Today's a good day. :cool:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
when football season starts, no one will remember who mike rice was. They really need to make a splash with their next coach, and now that they have some big 10 cash coming, I expect to see a high profile hire, someone like shaka smart.

Maybe Bobby Knight.

Reaction Score
Some background from December. They'll try to damage Murdoch for sure but he's in it now after the storm has gone national:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2012/12/politi_rutgers_coach_mike_rice_1.html[/quote]

Don't worry - ESPN has his back ;)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...rs-university-short-lived-coach-abuse-scandal

Added: Collateral Damage www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_assistant_coach_jimmy.html#incart_river

"ATLANTA — On the same day Rutgers terminated the contract of his boss, Mike Rice, Scarlet Knights assistant men's basketball coach Jimmy Martelli resigned from the program, according to a spokesman in the school's sports information department." "...On a portion of the full tape which did not make airwaves, Martelli was seen shoving an unidentified player twice during a practice."

Reaction Score
when football season starts, no one will remember who mike rice was. They really need to make a splash with their next coach, and now that they have some big 10 cash coming, I expect to see a high profile hire, someone like shaka smart.

Rutgers played in one of the greatest college basketball conferences in the sports history. They got to play in MSG, against some of the great programs of all time, and had fertile recruiting grounds in New Jersey/NYC. What makes you think the Big 10 is going to change this? If Pernetti sticks around, I wouldnt expect a big splash based on his last hire. They'll be looking up to Northwestern and Penn St in no time.

Reaction Score
Has anyone asked them yet if they appreciate being mislead during a contract negotiation?

Hopefully not. As the likely result would be the BiG deciding that further expansion is not worth it.

Reaction Score
Don't worry - ESPN has his back ;)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...rs-university-short-lived-coach-abuse-scandal

Added: Collateral Damage www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_assistant_coach_jimmy.html#incart_river

"ATLANTA — On the same day Rutgers terminated the contract of his boss, Mike Rice, Scarlet Knights assistant men's basketball coach Jimmy Martelli resigned from the program, according to a spokesman in the school's sports information department." "...On a portion of the full tape which did not make airwaves, Martelli was seen shoving an unidentified player twice during a practice."

OK I got pretty much through this entire piece http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=9133038&type=story

If true, my take is that Murdoch's attorney should have filed suit first and negotiated a settlement later. At the latest the suit should have been filed the day it was announced they were leaving for the B1G. But the piece leaves plenty of inconsistencies and questions for further inquiry.

Reaction Score
OK I got pretty much through this entire piece http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=9133038&type=story

If true, my take is that Murdoch's attorney should have filed suit first and negotiated a settlement later. At the latest the suit should have been filed the day it was announced they were leaving for the B1G. But the piece leaves plenty of inconsistencies and questions for further inquiry.

I agree - misapplied leverage. Now the FBI is sniffing Murdoch (per ESPN). This isn't over...

Reaction Score
Wow.

Supposedly responsible adults losing sight of what is most important yet again. Rutgers always wanted to be like Penn State. There you go.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I agree - misapplied leverage. Now the FBI is sniffing Murdoch (per ESPN). This isn't over...

Just by the quality of the video and the manner by which it was shot I've always questioned Murdoch's motives.

I'm very interested in how this plays out and agree that this is probably far from over. This is no Penn State scandal as I think the cover-up is going to prove more damaging than the offenses that were committed.

Reaction Score
Wow.

Supposedly responsible adults losing sight of what is most important yet again. Rutgers always wanted to be like Penn State. There you go.

Wait... They didn't lose sight of what's important - it's all about B1G $$$. Check this out: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_boosters_asked_to_supp.html

>>Amid an outcry for the firing of Rutgers’ athletic director, the university’s athletics department today launched a campaign asking boosters to voice their support for Tim Pernetti. In e-mails sent out to a wide distribution list by William Montanaro, director of athletic development for Rutgers, supporters of the athletics program were asked to make their opinions known to university president Robert Barchi and the head of the board of governors.

"Thank you and Go RU!" Montanaro signed the message. Athletic Development is the fundraising arm of the university’s athletic department.<<

Farther down...

>>State Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-Gloucester) today called for Pernetti to either step down or be fired immediately for mishandling the matter."It is becoming abundantly clear that Tim Pernetti cannot remain in his position as athletic director at Rutgers," Sweeney said. "For the good of the school, its students and its faculty, he should either resign or be removed from his position immediately."Sweeney said the incident will continue to hang over Rutgers unless the university takes action.<<

Reaction Score
The President and the AD should both be replaced. Neither have a functioning moral compass.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Wait... They didn't lose sight of what's important - it's all about B1G $. Check this out: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_boosters_asked_to_supp.html

>>Amid an outcry for the firing of Rutgers’ athletic director, the university’s athletics department today launched a campaign asking boosters to voice their support for Tim Pernetti. In e-mails sent out to a wide distribution list by William Montanaro, director of athletic development for Rutgers, supporters of the athletics program were asked to make their opinions known to university president Robert Barchi and the head of the board of governors.

"Thank you and Go RU!" Montanaro signed the message. Athletic Development is the fundraising arm of the university’s athletic department.<<

Farther down...

>>State Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-Gloucester) today called for Pernetti to either step down or be fired immediately for mishandling the matter."It is becoming abundantly clear that Tim Pernetti cannot remain in his position as athletic director at Rutgers," Sweeney said. "For the good of the school, its students and its faculty, he should either resign or be removed from his position immediately."Sweeney said the incident will continue to hang over Rutgers unless the university takes action.<<

And somehow our Men's Basketball program got a one year death sentence just as CR decisions were being made by the B1G. All on trumped up charges.

This Rice fiasco just may be the most brilliant cover-up ever. RU just needs to weather the storm and paradise awaits.

Sad part is that every bit of the downfall RU feels from this can't even compare to the benefits they have in store as a B1G member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom