Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G | The Boneyard

Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes they did.

Murdock did his whistle-blower thing in the summer of 2012. (the B1G announcement was early November) The administration, led by the President and Pernitti, put it below the Public Domain for months on end. Then ... when an appropriate time had passed, they gave him the slap on the wrist suspension. (Hope no one sees the video) They, as BL noted, screwed up on the Whistleblower process ... and Eric Murdock wasn't satisfied. Hence ... ESPN.

Now, are we going to go through the Penn State angst of "they covered up because of the Big Business Dollars involved." Meanwhile, some kid got a ball thrown at his puss from 7 feet.

Reaction Score
I alluded to a cover up to protect the big 10 negotiations as well in another thread . Don't know anything about the whistle blower laws. But bottom line it worked. I wish we were better at handling our Apr difficulties or at least not allowing the picture to be painted that our basketball program was a rogue, win at all cost, outfit as was portrayed after the Nate Miles fiasco was added to the Apr stuff. So many people out there think UCONN post season ban was due in part to the Nate miles stuff. We have to be better at spin control.

Reaction Score
On the upside for them, at least someone's mentioning Rutgers basketball, and they're not talking about the women's team.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Since the B1G was willing to swallow a century's worth of athletic ineptitude, this story wouldn't have kept RU from getting an invitation. Conference realignment, as haphazard as it seems, has the ultimate goal of seperating the largest athletic departments from those not willing to spend to keep up. Delaney and Slive often mention stadium size, fan bases, tradition, and bowl attractiveness as what sets the big boys apart. We are still drenched in 1-AA stigma.

Reaction Score

Yup. What was covered up isn't in the same galaxy of evilness as what PSU covered by. But the process, and the violations, were the same. There will be firings beyond Rice at RU. It will be interesting to see if, without the child rape aspect, the criminal authorities and the NCAA get into the act as well.

Personally, if you are a prosecutor in NJ I don't see how you can't at least make a case against Rice for assault. What good are you if people show video on national TV showing an assault in your jurisdiction and you elect not to take action.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the upside for them, at least someone's mentioning Rutgers basketball, and they're not talking about the women's team.
And at least this time the RU players had their clothes on. Google Bannon naked free throws.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nothing that Rutgers did or didn't do changes the fact that NJ has close to 9 million people.

Frankly, I don't think the B1G gives two sh1ts about this at all.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nothing that Rutgers did or didn't do changes the fact that NJ has close to 9 million people.

Absolutely, just like no one is making a big stink about the egregious actions at UNC. Somehow, they were able to shield the Athletic Department by pointing out that it was a university-wide sham and not done solely to "aid" the student athletes.

It's not about tradition and rivalries. It's not about ethics and morals. It's about money, just money and nothing but money.

Reaction Score
when football season starts, no one will remember who mike rice was. They really need to make a splash with their next coach, and now that they have some big 10 cash coming, I expect to see a high profile hire, someone like shaka smart.

Reaction Score
Rutgers’ AD is gone and the President could be in trouble, too. While it may only be a coincidence, the timing between when this information became know to Rutgers, when it finally became public, and the entire B1G jump, it looks suspicious. Throw in the highly emotional and visible Clementi suicide in ’10 and the trial in ’12, the financial mess that Rutgers is in, and the political firefight between Rutgers, Rowan, Rutgers -Camden, and UMDNJ from last year and NJ politicians are going to be looking for blood. With Governor Christie tabbed as a possible Presidential candidate in 2016, no way can he let this stand.

Reaction Score

Has anyone asked them yet if they appreciate being mislead during a contract negotiation?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Has anyone asked them yet if they appreciate being mislead during a contract negotiation?

Does NJ still have 9 million people?

Again, that's all that matters.

Where would you even think Rutgers mislead the B1G?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Again, that's all that matters.

Where would you even think Rutgers mislead the B1G?

The number of residents is accurate, but that number could also represent a problem to the University (as they too well know). I am sure that the B1G assumed certain levels of state support when they invited Rutgers and actions like this only serve to undermine legislative support to fund the University's academic and especially athletic initiatives. Moreover, it may provide grounds to raise objections by non-fans about having the BTN added to their cable package.

The fundamental question, which I have yet to see addressed, is how large a population can a single university pull on its own for TV network purposes? For my mind, UConn is right in that sweet-spot: about 3.5M. I'm not sure that UCLA has sufficient support to add 11M homes, for instance.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
when football season starts, no one will remember who mike rice was. They really need to make a splash with their next coach, and now that they have some big 10 cash coming, I expect to see a high profile hire, someone like shaka smart.
Seriously? He turned down UCLA but man, that Rutgers gig is just too steeped in tradition to pass up!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

And then there's "That means Rutgers upgrades their coaching a year earlier than planned! OK. What's next? Maryland firing Edsal before the end of the season?"

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Lavin might be a good choice for Rutgers. The C-7 will get robbed next. Don't have to worry about The Replacements getting raided

Reaction Score
UCLA has unreasonable expectations. At RU he just has to get to the tourney and be considered a savior. If it pays well, it would be the perfect job. Recruiting hotbed with zero expectations.

Reaction Score
Seriously? He turned down UCLA but man, that Rutgers gig is just too steeped in tradition to pass up!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I never said he would accept the job, I just said they should go after him. Why don't people know how to read posts?

Reaction Score
darrenrovell 11:17am via Tweetbot for iOS
Rutgers president says he and AD Tim Pernetti jointly fired Mike Rice. Translation: They are in this together.
The first thing Pernetti did yesterday was say he showed Barchi the tapes and that he agreed with the suspension. Pernetti is a clever one. He was not going to let Barchi make him the fall guy. Good for him. They should both be fired or neither be fired.

Reaction Score
The first thing Pernetti did yesterday was say he showed Barchi the tapes and that he agreed with the suspension. Pernetti is a clever one. He was not going to let Barchi make him the fall guy. Good for him. They should both be fired or neither be fired.

Yeah, but now he's back-tracking...

StevePoliti1:42pm via TweetDeck
Still: The university president had not seen this tape until yesterday. Which is remarkable.

StevePoliti1:40pm via TweetDeck
Pernetti's side: He was asked if Barchi had seen the tape. Barchi had seen it -- earlier that day. He was told its contents before that.

StevePoliti12:31pm via TweetDeck
Confirmation from President Barchi's office: He did not review the Rice video until yesterday. Waiting for an explanation from Pernetti.

StevePoliti11:59am via TweetDeck
There appears to be a significant contradiction between the Rutgers presdient and AD Tim Pernetti. A quick post: http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/the_question_for_tim_pernetti.html

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yeah, but now he's back-tracking...

StevePoliti1:42pm via TweetDeck
Still: The university president had not seen this tape until yesterday. Which is remarkable.

StevePoliti1:40pm via TweetDeck
Pernetti's side: He was asked if Barchi had seen the tape. Barchi had seen it -- earlier that day. He was told its contents before that.

StevePoliti12:31pm via TweetDeck
Confirmation from President Barchi's office: He did not review the Rice video until yesterday. Waiting for an explanation from Pernetti.

StevePoliti11:59am via TweetDeck
There appears to be a significant contradiction between the Rutgers presdient and AD Tim Pernetti. A quick post: http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/the_question_for_tim_pernetti.html
I called this last night, no way would the president say he saw the tape and okayed the 3 day suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom