Two Amazing Things Happened Here On The Boneyard | The Boneyard

Two Amazing Things Happened Here On The Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
1. In a major exception to normal practice, the "pundits" (both here and in the wider world) who thought that UConn would win despite losing 8 of 9 previously were actually RIGHT! Someone here even got the score almost right. And the method of winning was also predicted (by Jeff Jacobs in the Courant among others): UConn would win decisively enough in the first 39 minutes that last- minute flubs would not be on the menu. I can't recall a previous occasion when so much of the punditry was on the mark.

2. There was little or no complaining about the refs. By the way, I thought that by normal standards, the referees actually did a very good job. But since my team won, that is not an unbiased assessment.

Reaction Score
1. In a major exception to normal practice, the "pundits" (both here and in the wider world) who thought that UConn would win despite losing 8 of 9 previously were actually RIGHT! Someone here even got the score almost right. And the method of winning was also predicted (by Jeff Jacobs in the Courant among others): UConn would win decisively enough in the first 39 minutes that last- minute flubs would not be on the menu. I can't recall a previous occasion when so much of the punditry was on the mark.

2. There was little or no complaining about the refs. By the way, I thought that by normal standards, the referees actually did a very good job. But since my team won, that is not an unbiased assessment.

My own personal expectation (not published anywhere) was that UConn would win by a sufficient margin that the four game point totals would favor the Huskies.

Notre Dame: 73 + 96 + 61 + 65 = 295
UConn: 72 + 87 + 59 + 83 = 301

Reaction Score
There was lots of complaining about the refs in the first half of the thread, but during the break a few posters noted that ND was shooting from the paint, where fouls are more likely. By the end of the game the fouls evened up.

Reaction Score
I think the refs did a great job, and yes, that includes the much maligned Dee Kantner. No reffing crew will get every call 100%. But they were pretty even, didn't call an exceptional number of WTF calls, and no calls had a significant impact to the ouotcome of the game. They were simply a part of the backdrop and kept the game under control. It was a physical game, but it never came close to getting out of hand. Hats off to the ref team!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I thought that the game was well officiated and was not surprised to see UCONN with a big win. The previous games had been close and quite frankly, a little luck had gone ND's way. I felt all along that UCONN was the better team and yet for a play or two here and there UCONN could have won all three games.

Congrats on a big win!! Stewart looked like the player I had been expecting to see all along. Talk about finding her game at the right time!! Kelly will be missed next year but the development of Stewart will be paramount and will make UCONN the favorite to win multiple titles over the next few years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the refs did a great job, and yes, that includes the much maligned Dee Kantner. No reffing crew will get every call 100%. But they were pretty even, didn't call an exceptional number of WTF calls, and no calls had a significant impact to the ouotcome of the game. They were simply a part of the backdrop and kept the game under control. It was a physical game, but it never came close to getting out of hand. Hats off to the ref team!
I actually totally agree with this and said so in a different thread. You can't simply look at the sheer numbers of fouls called in the first half and say "unfair". You have to look at the fouls that were called and see why. UCONN was a jump shooting team and ND was a driving team and in general you will see a foul disparity when that occurs.

I will admit i went a bit bonkers when KML picked up her 2nd foul. Not at the refs but at her - she should know better as a sophomore in a big game, but oddly enough we went on our big run in the 1st half with KML on the bench after picking up foul #2 with 5 minutes left in the half...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom