Twitter vs ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Twitter vs ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went to an FCS school and continue to watch games online. I am not surprised at how they look - my point was that it is essentially unacceptable for a P5 game to look like that.

Reaction Score
I never said it wasn't going to work.

I like how you admit that you don't know how they will make money on it - odd that you can have that opinion but be so certain that it's going to turn into a revenue stream for conferences.

LOL. So what are you saying? Seem pretty obvious that you just like telling me I'm wrong while not giving any opinion of why or how you see this working.

I don't fully understand how twitter makes income with live sports as they do advertizing differently. That was discussed in the deal with the NFL, something about advertizing is different. That is why they are broadcasting NFL games for free with no cable subscription required. Do you understand how twitter is doing this and what makes them different?

I don't think conferences or other owners of sports content will let Twitter do so for free so yes I believe there will be money involved.

Why don't you go ahead an add somethign to the conversation as opposed to simply saying I'm wrong. Notice how you keep doing the same thing over and over "call me when conferences can make money" type statements but you never actually make a point. Please feel free to do so.

Reaction Score
I went to an FCS school and continue to watch games online. I am not surprised at how they look - my point was that it is essentially unacceptable for a P5 game to look like that.

I'm unclear what your point is. FCS games will never have the same production as FBS p-5 football games. Neither will olympic sports. That won't change and it certainly has nothing to do with twitter.

Reaction Score
Anyone else have AN ENTIRE PAGE of ignored content?

The wackos must be out in full force.

This is funny. You are essentially bragging about not being able to handle people with different opinions than yours so you resorted to putting everyone who has a different opinion than you on ignore. Such a badass. LOL.

Excellent contribution BTW.

So to summarize the UConn crowd does not see streaming live sports through places like twitter and hulu is not a sustainable path to income. I on the other hand already see twitter paying 7 figures for NFL games and see twitter buying live sports content right and left so it appears to be an increasing tend with more and more live sports being streamed on twitter which will result in income for the conferences as this evolves.

Reaction Score
I'm unclear what your point is. FCS games will never have the same production as FBS p-5 football games. Neither will olympic sports. That won't change and it certainly has nothing to do with twitter.
So ESPN and the others won't have to worry about twitter according to you? Don't worry - it's only the entire point of this thread.

Reaction Score
This is funny. You are essentially bragging about not being able to handle people with different opinions than yours so you resorted to putting everyone who has a different opinion than you on ignore. Such a badass. LOL.

Excellent contribution BTW.

So to summarize the UConn crowd does not see streaming live sports through places like twitter and hulu is not a sustainable path to income. I on the other hand already see twitter paying 7 figures for NFL games and see twitter buying live sports content right and left so it appears to be an increasing tend with more and more live sports being streamed on twitter which will result in income for the conferences as this evolves.
Yeah this dude is a joke. Next case.

Reaction Score
So ESPN and the others won't have to worry about twitter according to you? Don't worry - it's only the entire point of this thread.

Again, I am unclear what the level of production has to do with this. I"m not trying to be a jerk but I simply don't see the connection. These FCS, D3, and olympic sports from FBS schools will always be of lower quality production. No reason to waste money on producing a water polo match.

ESPN already streams plenty of FCS level games and they are all of much lower production quality than what you see on ESPN, ESPN2, etc.. Same on LHN with stuff like softball and volleyball games. Same with BTN. Same with PACN. So if twitter streams similar low level content it will likely be of similar production levels coming from the in house production on campuses along with production partners that were already mentioned. Now as they obtain more valuable content from conferences like the PAC and B1G you will see better production for things like basketball games. I believe they will be next as they have content that can already be sold directly to Twitter with no involvement from ESPN or FOX.

If the Big 12 expands or not I expect the AAC to expand West and try to rework their TV deal. That might be the opportunity Twitter is looking for as far as valuable college content that is reasonably priced. For what amounts to very little $ needed to outbid ESPN Twitter could obtain an enormous amount of college content for what amounts to the p-5 TV payout for a couple of schools. Go West and add an audience that is already trained to stream while picking up some nice brands for the conference including BYU. Heck a Twitter/FOX combo might even make more sense as far as bidding for that TV content if we are to believe FOX wants valuable Eastern time zone content.

Reaction Score
Again, I am unclear what the level of production has to do with this. I"m not trying to be a jerk but I simply don't see the connection. These FCS, D3, and olympic sports from FBS schools will always be of lower quality production. No reason to waste money on producing a water polo match.

ESPN already streams plenty of FCS level games and they are all of much lower production quality than what you see on ESPN, ESPN2, etc.. Same on LHN with stuff like softball and volleyball games. Same with BTN. Same with PACN. So if twitter streams similar low level content it will likely be of similar production levels coming from the in house production on campuses along with production partners that were already mentioned. Now as they obtain more valuable content from conferences like the PAC and B1G you will see better production for things like basketball games. I believe they will be next as they have content that can already be sold directly to Twitter with no involvement from ESPN or FOX.

If the Big 12 expands or not I expect the AAC to expand West and try to rework their TV deal. That might be the opportunity Twitter is looking for as far as valuable college content that is reasonably priced. For what amounts to very little $ needed to outbid ESPN Twitter could obtain an enormous amount of college content for what amounts to the p-5 TV payout for a couple of schools. Go West and add an audience that is already trained to stream while picking up some nice brands for the conference including BYU. Heck a Twitter/FOX combo might even make more sense as far as bidding for that TV content if we are to believe FOX wants valuable Eastern time zone content.
I'm just wondering if they plan on steaming FBS games with the sameness infrastructure? That's all. I understand the utility of it for the FCS and Olympic sports - just wonder if it's viable for the FBS.

Reaction Score
Sorry for the typos. I think I meant to say "same" instead of "sameness." Haha. I blame autocorrect. Lol @ steaming.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering if they plan on steaming FBS games with the sameness infrastructure? That's all. I understand the utility of it for the FCS and Olympic sports - just wonder if it's viable for the FBS.

I see. I've watched some FBS games on PACN and have never thought it seemed like a big deal. I've also watched ACC digital network basketball games and never thought it seemed that bad either.

Reaction Score
I'm curious about the back-end cost of streaming games. If the model is content produced by someone else and then just integrated into and then streamed by Twitter (which is almost too logical, since that's how I and I assume most people my age - millennial - consume sports these days anyways), then as @whaler11 mentioned the content producer owns the in-content advertising.

However, it would certainly be possible that the producer would split some % of those advertising fees to the streamer to cover disseminating the content. If the streaming site gets a cut and also has the surrounding on-page advertising, profit is theoretically there if the back-end is not too costly. If you make a small profit, maybe you just need to cast a wide net. Since you're not limited by production staff or equipment, you could theoretically stream just about everything at once, almost like a cable provider.

I have no idea of the relative costs of costs of supplying cable vs. streaming content, since the idea above sounds an awful lot like creating a streaming provider, but without the current subscription carriage model.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Anyone else have AN ENTIRE PAGE of ignored content?

The wackos must be out in full force.

Not quite. I have five posts on this page. Three in a row by Whaler destroying someone, then yours, then one by auror. Someone "dim" must have called Whaler a troll and then said something stupid (shockingly) about Twitter. I guess we are staying on subject?

Reaction Score
You guys are pure entertainment, even when whining and not contributing. Keep up the fine work.

In your own minds you are internet badasses, but in reality you struggle to have a conversation people with even slightly differences in opinion instead you typically resort to personal insults or simply telling them they are wrong with no reasoning or facts. My suggestion is don't ever go to another school's board as you would not make it long. Stay here, ignore anyone with a different opinion, and enjoy the echo chamber that you create.

All you are doing now is trolling the thread, not contributing, and trying to start fights. I'm surprised Fishy allows this on a realignment board as all ti accomplishes is running off anyone from another school because all the whiners pile on anyone from "Outside" the echo chamber. Really limits the boards appeal and poster numbers though. Most realignment boards have lots of fan diversity which makes for a fun conversation seeing all the different points of view.

If you want to believe Twitter is not a player in the live sports game so be it, but at least give some reasoning as opposed to "call me when it's working" type of stuff which is pure trolling. Some of us see Twitter moving in that direction with the recent events that have taken place.

Reaction Score
Three in a row by Whaler destroying someone,
Whaler isn't' destroying anyone on this board that I have seen. The fact that you think so is hilarious. All he is doing is letting his butthurt show, hardly an internet badass.

Now you are trying to pretend yo dont read the posts, that's priceless. You might think that makes you sound like an internet badass but in reality it screams "I can't have a conversation with anyone who has a different opinion so I stick my fingers in my ears to I can pretend not to listen, but I still do". LOL

Keep up the fine work, and thanks for proving my point as well as yet another excellent contribution to the thread about Twitter broadcasting live sports.

Do any of you whiners want to discuss Twitter, or just continue to whine and troll? It's been a couple of pages since any of you made a valid point and now you are not even discussing Twitter, pretty safe to say this has been a 1 sided conversation as far as who has made valid points and backed them up with facts. But by all means please continue to claim Twitter is worthless when it comes to live college sports. The rest of us see sn obvious trend.

Reaction Score
Disney's nibbling around purchasing Twitter which would instantly result in a thread about Roku streaming AAC games for gobs of money.

I think Hulu is actually the favorite... Head bang

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not quite. I have five posts on this page. Three in a row by Whaler destroying someone, then yours, then one by auror. Someone "dim" must have called Whaler a troll and then said something stupid (shockingly) about Twitter. I guess we are staying on subject?

It's the Okie dope under his new handle. It is on topic though - everyone is going to print money from streaming. Except nobody actually knows where the money comes from.

Reaction Score
Ahh. The old straw man. I haven't' seen anyone claim Twitter was going to be a huge windfall for a conference. But what has been said is there will be money exchanging hands as twitter goes after more valuable college sports content such as BB and FB.

Ths discussion seems to be more about twitter being a player in live sports moving forward which was not the case a few years ago. Not an income stream to rival what ESPN pays the SEC.

This likely has more to do with keeping ESPN honest on the g-5 contracts which are grossly undervalued and giving things like conference networks another outlet for their content. I do not pretend to know how all this is going to work like you seem to. I simply see a trend forming as Twitter has suddenly started expanding thier live sports streaming this year.

Since you like to act like you know how this is going to work please feel free to explain how you see Twitter being involved in live sports content?

I look forward to you long and detailed explanation. Thanks in advance.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's the Okie dope under his new handle. It is on topic though - everyone is going to print money from streaming. Except nobody actually knows where the money comes from.

Details. Details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger