Tweets from Practice | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Tweets from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I always say that I'm an old fart, not that familiar with twitter and tweets, but it seems some of us taking these tweets way too serious. I know its been like a desert for us since March and 10 word tweets feels like a bucket of H2O but has it even even been two weeks? Its practice, no games played, no rotation set and reading some of our posts/responses makes it seem its January already. Lastly we all know that some players are great practice players and others are true gamers.

Just sayin, to me, tweets this year are enjoyable tidbits yet somewhat shallow brain farts (sorry observations). It is good however to read something 'live' about UConn basketball.
It's because the season is so close, anticipation is building and that energy is coming out in all kinds of ways.

It's like in rat studies investigating learning and time contingencies, where if you have a lever for a rat to press, and the pellet is distributed not based on lever presses (although the rat thinks it is) but on a set time, you see the rat getting more and more crazy for it and really hitting the lever as you get closer to the reward time.

Reaction Score
Where were our local beatwriters yesterday? Was this only open to Rothstein?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
@JonRothstein: UConn's Phil Nolan has gained 20 pounds since the end of last season, Kevin Ollie told @CBSSports. Will be in mix at PF with Kentan Facey.

I said a bunch of times that I don't expect to see Phil at 4 much. Still think that but we'll see.

I were to guess I say that DHam and Facey will each have more minutes at the 4 slot than Phil.

Listen to the following ESPNU MBB podcast with Andy Katz and Seth Greenburg when KO was on:
http://Post original url/1EUIi5o

When asked about 'replacing Deandre' one of the first things KO mentioned was having Facey at the 4 and then Nolan playing the 4. Then he mentioned Lubin 3rd. I expect to see KO play Phil at the 4 if the match-ups allow for it. KO is a versatile coach and will play to his team's strengths based on the roster player skills. Just because we went small a ton last year doesn't mean we will do it again this year. This year is a different team and I could see him putting Nolan at the 4 if the match-ups dictate it. If match-ups call for going small, he'll do it. If it calls for him going big, he'll put Nolan at the 4.

KO when asked about Daniel Hamilton said he can play the 1, 2, 3, and the 4. I believe it, but I don't see him manning the PF spot for us as a freshman more than Nolan. Hamilton is skinny and lanky and he can't defend on the low block, ESPECIALLY as a freshman (always a learning curve defensively). Deandre and Niels at least had the defensive knowledge and experience to defend the 4 in a crunch, and I'm not sure D-Ham can immediately do that.

KO's offense doesn't call for playing a traditional 4 anyways. He plays match-ups. If the other team's opposing 4 can guard the perimeter, I don't see D-Ham playing down there. KO likes bigger guards on the perimeter and I see D-Ham more suited to the 2/3. Only if 3 of Boat/Rodney/Calhoun/Samuel/Cassell are playing out-of-their minds good to the point you can't keep them off the floor, THEN I could see D-Ham sliding to the 4 a bit.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where were our local beatwriters yesterday? Was this only open to Rothstein?
They were complaining on twitter that they aren't allowed to live tweet at practices.

Yeah Borges tweeted something about a national media guy live-tweeting and breaking the rules.

I think Rothstein did a good job of making overall general personal player assumptions while watching. He didn't necessarily live-tweet action. Wish our beat guys cared enough to try to bend the rules a bit like that. I enjoyed Rothstein's insight, even if it wasn't much and even if he's not exactly the most reliable guy. It's SOMETHING.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sounds about right...
They were complaining on twitter that they aren't allowed to live tweet at practices.
I think Rothstein did a good job of making overall general personal player assumptions while watching. He didn't necessarily live-tweet action. Wish our beat guys cared enough to try to bend the rules a bit like that. I enjoyed Rothstein's insight, even if it wasn't much and even if he's not exactly the most reliable guy. It's SOMETHING.

Rothstein isn't around all the time so he doesn't really give a crap. The beat guys have to show up every week for a whole season, so the 'relationship' to the program matters a whole lot more.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope Facey is ready and also Rock. I think we will go small and use DHam there too, but me thinks people underestimate Phil.
Mau, don't get me wrong I like Phil and I think that he'll see more total minutes than Facey, I just don't think that they will be at the 4. I think the Rock may get squeezed for minutes if people are correct that his offensive game is limited. I love the option to bring a true banger in though.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-cassell-jr-may-be-the-shot-maker-uconn-needs

Sam Cassell Jr. is going to be a major contributor for UConn.

Cassell, a 6-foot-4 guard, initially committed to Maryland out of high school -- so the Terrapins' loss will be the Huskies' gain. Cassell wasn't eligible academically when he first arrived in College Park and instead spent last season at Chipola College where he averaged 18.4 points and 3.7 assists as a first-team JUCO All-American. Like his father, Cassell reads defenses well and knows where to pick his spots offensively.

Coach Kevin Ollie is going to need a fearless scorer to emerge following Shabazz Napier's departure and don't be surprised if Cassell winds up stepping into that role. Poised, confident and under control, Cassell knows how to use his body to get off shots and is also creative around the rim. Ryan Boatright is the household name in the Huskies' back court and Rodney Purvis and Daniel Hamilton are supposed to be the impact newcomers, but don't be surprised if Cassell is the guy with the ball in his hands when the shot clock is winding down.

Reaction Score
Rothstein isn't around all the time so he doesn't really give a crap. The beat guys have to show up every week for a whole season, so the 'relationship' to the program matters a whole lot more.

My bigger point is if they were there where are the notes afterwards? I understand them not wanting to break the rule, but based on nothing coming out afterwards it doesn't even seem as if they were there at all. Maybe they weren't.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
aceboon post: 1094579 said:
My bigger point is if they were there where are the notes afterwards? I understand them not wanting to break the rule, but based on nothing coming out afterwards it doesn't even seem as if they were there at all. Maybe they weren't.
Right. Sam emerging as the best shot maker is the best practice update weve had. Even if the beat writers werent allowed into practice they have access to all the people who do. I dont see how info like that would put us at any sort of competitive disadvantage.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yah, nothing afterwords is weak. I as merely speaking about in practice tweeting as it relates to the people who have to see the team every week for interviews and such.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure Rothstein was the only member of the media at that particular practice. Don't think the local guys have been back since the first one.

Others have mentioned here that Ollie has more of a "closed door" practice atmosphere than Calhoun did. Rothstein makes his annual tour and obviously has permission to come to Uconn for a day. I think the beat writers are salty that Rothstein gets to go in the first place, but especially because he violates the "no tweeting" rule.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Rothstein was the only member of the media at that particular practice. Don't think the local guys have been back since the first one.

Others have mentioned here that Ollie has more of a "closed door" practice atmosphere than Calhoun did. Rothstein makes his annual tour and obviously has permission to come to Uconn for a day. I think the beat writers are salty that Rothstein gets to go in the first place, but especially because he violates the "no tweeting" rule.

The beat writers are salty because they're beat writers, and therefore are inherently miserable people.

Reaction Score
The beat writers are salty because they're beat writers, and therefore are inherently miserable people.

I would gladly trade my job for theirs. Why would watching sports and writing about it make someone miserable?

Reaction Score
I would gladly trade my job for theirs. Why would watching sports and writing about it make someone miserable?

That's a good question, but talk to one for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Reaction Score
KO might not wan't positive word getting out about Cassell and Calhoun when he's recruiting the likes of Briscoe and Mack.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Cassell works his way into a major role on this team it's a good thing since there are some pretty good players ahead of him. I may start a minutes prediction thread this weekend (if there isn't one posted already.) That forces you to compare players and their contribution. If anyone else want to feel free.

Reaction Score
They could be assigned to the Jets

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
KO might not wan't positive word getting out about Cassell and Calhoun when he's recruiting the likes of Briscoe and Mack.
I feel like Cassell and Briscoe have very similar games. High basketball IQ, Can shoot the rock, Not bad but not the best athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom