TV Viewership 2024 Regular Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TV Viewership 2024 Regular Season

Reaction Score
Big matchups draw big crowds of viewers. All the big games UConn has this year ended up in the top ten or so of all games. I am sure the SC game will have a huge draw even though I don't see that being a particularly close game. Interesting that the Big Ten is in three of the four to games with only the SC-LSU game not including at least one Big Ten. I understand the interest in Iowa but why Indiana?

Reaction Score
Some updates from @awhom111 :

1/29 LSU-Mississippi State ESPN2 351,000 .05
2/1 Texas-Baylor ESPN 332,000

2/3 Michigan State-Penn State BTN 81,000
2/3 Iowa-Maryland FOX 1,578,000
2/4 Miami-FSU CW 112,000
2/4 Virginia Tech-UNC ESPN2 282,000
2/4 Indiana-Ohio State FS1 215,000
2/4 Ole Miss-South Carolina ESPN2 428,000

2/4 Kansas State-Texas FS1 137,000
2/4 UCLA-Stanford ESPN2 303,000

Reaction Score
Which game dates more eyeballs tomorrow?

Clark on Fox

SC on ESPN?

Reaction Score
@awhom111 reports

2/8 Notre Dame-Louisville ESPN 343,000 .08
2/8 Penn State-Iowa BTN 657,000 .16

2/10 Villanova-Marquette FOX 381,000
2/11 Louisville-Syracuse CW 181,000
2/11 Iowa-Nebraska FOX 1,772,000
2/11 UConn-South Carolina ESPN 1,053,000

2/11 Alabama-LSU ESPN2 367,000

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I just can't believe some of those viewing figures. Louisville/Syracuse only had 181,000 viewers? Goodness..I was on the edge of my seat toward the end of that one. Certainly, there was a bad sample taken..or the current crop of Nielsen families don't care much for women's basketball...nor those mailed ratings diaries to supplement the regular participants in the sample.

It does seem, though, that overall, viewership is up this season for WCBB...and not just because of Caitlin Clark.

As for Iowa/Nebraska...that is awesome and is also likely to be an underestimate. The security guard at the College where I teach is a South Carolina grad....his wife went to UCONN...and, of course, I'm an NC State fan. He couldn't wait for me to check in Monday morning so we could discuss the weekend's events in WCBB. I also had a couple of other faculty, who I didn't even know followed our game, came up to me to talk about Caitlin Clark and how disappointed they were they weren't able to see the record set on Sunday.

Clark is drawing viewers and interest in record numbers right now; even people who may not follow WCBB regularly are aware of the record she's destined to break this week. It'll be interesting to see if those high numbers persist once the record is broken...or if there's a dip before a second surge once post-season play starts.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe some of those viewing figures. Louisville/Syracuse only had 181,000 viewers? Goodness..I was on the edge of my seat toward the end of that one. Certainly, there was a bad sample taken..or the current crop of Nielsen families don't care much for women's basketball...nor those mailed ratings diaries to supplement the regular participants in the sample.

It does seem, though, that overall, viewership is up this season for WCBB...and not just because of Caitlin Clark.

As for Iowa/Nebraska...that is awesome and is also likely to be an underestimate. The security guard at the College where I teach is a South Carolina grad....his wife went to UCONN...and, of course, I'm an NC State fan. He couldn't wait for me to check in Monday morning so we could discuss the weekend's events in WCBB. I also had a couple of other faculty, who I didn't even know followed our game, came up to me to talk about Caitlin Clark and how disappointed they were they weren't able to see the record set on Sunday.

Clark is drawing viewers and interest in record numbers right now; even people who may not follow WCBB regularly are aware of the record she's destined to break this week. It'll be interesting to see if those high numbers persist once the record is broken...or if there's a dip before a second surge once post-season play starts.
Much ( other than Clark) depends on the channel a game is shown on.Louisville/ Syracuse was low because it was on CW

Clark is driving many of the ratings but it also seems that she is just the leader of a Midwestern Big Ten charge toward increased viewership. The BTN is doing very well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Much ( other than Clark) depends on the channel a game is shown on.Louisville/ Syracuse was low because it was on CW

Clark is driving many of the ratings but it also seems that she is just the leader of a Midwestern Big Ten charge toward increased viewership. The BTN is doing very well.
As I noted in the attendance thread, the Big Ten is clearly leveraging CC all the way to the bank with sold out games across the schedule but tOSU and Indiana are also showing a strong uptick in attendance this year besides the Iowa games. While the conference itself, only has 2 really good teams and 4-5 mediocre teams who should make the NCAAT, the conference has come a long way in a short time and with UCLA and USC (Juju Watkins) coming in next year, it will be interesting.

Reaction Score
As I noted in the attendance thread, the Big Ten is clearly leveraging CC all the way to the bank with sold out games across the schedule but tOSU and Indiana are also showing a strong uptick in attendance this year besides the Iowa games. While the conference itself, only has 2 really good teams and 4-5 mediocre teams who should make the NCAAT, the conference has come a long way in a short time and with UCLA and USC (Juju Watkins) coming in next year, it will be interesting.
It will be interesting to see how the monster population of California responds to the MUCH better TV coverage of USC and UCLA. Will JuJu step into Clark's shoes in road games? Could the road attendance of SC/UCLA exceed their home attendance next year.

Reaction Score
Still waiting for your prediction, azfan...
Over on the poll I picked CC.

Last night driving home from the disappointing NAU lost to Sac State (5th Year senior, team leader, sharpshooter Emily Rodabaugh was in a boot) ESPN LED with the Hawkeye-Wolverine game recap. After discussing the record and the game they spend some time discussing a huge attendance up tick throughout the Big ten when the Hawkeyes come to town. Evidently some of the arenas have experienced scalping as high as 500 bucks a ticket.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how the monster population of California responds to the MUCH better TV coverage of USC and UCLA. Will JuJu step into Clark's shoes in road games? Could the road attendance of SC/UCLA exceed their home attendance next year.

Eh . . . . I doubt anything will change the sports dynamics of the LA area. The ceiling will always be high due to the huge population, but the floor will remain almost subterranean. There is minimal support from the student body and the immediate neighborhood, and folks any further away only brave the LA traffic for major events, not routine games.

Most urban schools have the same problem but few are as bad off as USC/UCLA.

Reaction Score
Eh . . . . I doubt anything will change the sports dynamics of the LA area. The ceiling will always be high due to the huge population, but the floor will remain almost subterranean. There is minimal support from the student body and the immediate neighborhood, and folks any further away only brave the LA traffic for major events, not routine games.

Most urban schools have the same problem but few are as bad off as USC/UCLA.
I'm talking about TV viewership - not attendance. We dont really know what the floor is because PAC Network viewership has been too pitiful to reports. That will change with UCLA and USC being on FOX and its affiliates covering game along with the BTN.

BTW there was good attendance for UCLA vs SoCal this year. JuJu could alter the dynamics a bit. Both teams are stocking up a lot of talent!

Reaction Score
To what executive do we owe out thanks for deciding to waste an ABC time slot and a Gameday on Georgia at SCar? Georgia on a Big Three Network? Does the conference not have anything better to offer up?

IDGI

Reaction Score
To what executive do we owe out thanks for deciding to waste an ABC time slot and a Gameday on Georgia at SCar? Georgia on a Big Three Network? Does the conference not have anything better to offer up?

IDGI
Good question, but how were they to know Georgia would be who they are this season? Schedules are made so far in advance it's impossible to know this would be what it is.

Second, looking at the SEC slate for today, some the ire should be directed to the conference schedulers themselves as the options aren't great. For example, why couldn't SC vs Tennessee have been on a Sunday instead of Thursday? That may have been a better draw.

Here is where having a flex schedule like in the NFL would be cool. Considering how many conferences have contracts with ESPN, it seems feasible. Perfect example, flip Louisville vs VT with this game and have it on ABC and put SC vs Georgia on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Good question, but how were they to know Georgia would be who they are this season? Schedules are made so far in advance it's impossible to know this would be what it is.

Second, looking at the SEC slate for today, some the ire should be directed to the conference schedulers themselves as the options aren't great. For example, why couldn't SC vs Tennessee have been on a Sunday instead of Thursday? That may have been a better draw.

Here is where having a flex schedule like in the NFL would be cool. Considering how many conferences have contracts with ESPN, it seems feasible. Perfect example, flip Louisville vs VT with this game and have it on ABC and put SC vs Georgia on ESPN.
I agree but even if the time slot was just reserved for an SEC game today, one of today’s in-state rivalry games would be better: Tenn vs Vandy; Bama vs Auburn; or Miss State v Ole Miss should be better ( Auburn’s point guard put SCar and LSU through Hell and is a joy to watch)

Of course, I could be jinxing my Gamecock’s today. :eek:

Reaction Score

Yeah, SCar at Tennessee on ESPN on Thursday drew 705,000 viewers. Sunday with Gameday on ABC couldda wouldda shouldda (mighta) been a million +

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Pac12 Network but a subscriber could watch ANY WBB game on it. As the Pac 12 teams move to the BIG I hope that will be the case also. Anybody know?

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Pac12 Network but a subscriber could watch ANY WBB game on it. As the Pac 12 teams move to the BIG I hope that will be the case also. Anybody know?
When you get a chance, check out the Big Ten Plus. I (Minnesota area) am on the fence about it, in terms of what you can view plus paying an additional charge for stuff. Hopefully with the Pac 12 joining us, changes may happen with the B10+.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

IDGI

Darn Shame. VPI at Louisville would be a better option, but they are relegating it to ESPN or ESPN 2

Reaction Score
When you get a chance, check out the Big Ten Plus. I (Minnesota area) am on the fence about it, in terms of what you can view plus paying an additional charge for stuff. Hopefully with the Pac 12 joining us, changes may happen with the B10+.
I subscribe to BigTen+ and find it's been great for basketball. You have the option of choosing just the team you like, only women's basketball or basketball for men's and women's.

With the recent changes since the new broadcast deal, having to have Peacock does suck, but you can cancel it any time once the season is over. What sucks is I have to use a VPN because I'm in Canada. A lot of these broadcasting regulations suck when north of the border :(

Reaction Score
awhom111 strikes again:

2/19 Creighton-UConn FOX 571,000
2/19 Indiana-Illinois FOX 658,000
2/19 Notre Dame-Duke ESPN2 191,000

Reaction Score
Here is an @awhom111 update of the last few weeks. It includes some games from some of the smaller conference teams that I may not have listed above
Full list from the last two weeks:
2/5 Minnesota-Michigan State BTN 47,000
2/5 Louisville-North Carolina State ESPN2 179,000 .04
2/5 Illinois-Purdue BTN 31,000
2/6 Maryland-Rutgers BTN 64,000
2/7 Georgetown-Marquette FS1 22,000
2/8 Notre Dame-Louisville ESPN 343,000 .08
2/8 Penn State-Iowa BTN 658,000 .16
2/9 Wagner-Fairleigh Dickinson ESPNU 17,000
2/10 Rutgers-Michigan BTN 84,000
2/10 Villanova-Marquette FOX 381,000
2/11 Louisville-Syracuse CW 181,000
2/11 Saint Louis-Rhode Island ESPNU 22,000
2/11 Iowa-Nebraska FOX 1,772,000
2/11 UConn-South Carolina ESPN 1,053,000
2/11 Maryland-Illinois FS1 43,000
2/11 Alabama-LSU ESPN2 367,000
2/12 Arizona-USC ESPN2 118,000 .03
2/13 Minnesota-Rutgers BTN 43,000
2/15 Rider-Iona ESPNU 10,000
2/15 South Carolina-Tennessee ESPN 705,000 .13
2/17 Iowa State-Texas ESPN2 150,000
2/18 Georgia Tech-North Carolina State CW 146,000
2/18 Michigan-Michigan State BTN 73,000
2/18 Gameday ABC 520,000
2/18 Georgia-South Carolina ABC 962,000
2/18 Virginia Tech-Louisville ESPN 374,000
2/18 Columbia-Harvard ESPNU 11,000
2/18 Texas Tech-Baylor ESPN2 133,000

Reaction Score
I subscribe to BigTen+ and find it's been great for basketball. You have the option of choosing just the team you like, only women's basketball or basketball for men's and women's.

With the recent changes since the new broadcast deal, having to have Peacock does suck, but you can cancel it any time once the season is over. What sucks is I have to use a VPN because I'm in Canada. A lot of these broadcasting regulations suck when north of the border :(
You mean you don't have the family of ESPN's Channels in Canada? A lot of Canadians play for college in America.

How do watch Bowl games, March Madness, Conference tournament games? No offense, but it must be boring living in Canada when it comes to sports on TV.

Reaction Score
You mean you don't have the family of ESPN's Channels in Canada? A lot of Canadians play for college in America.

How do watch Bowl games, March Madness, Conference tournament games? No offense, but it must be boring living in Canada when it comes to sports on TV.
It is and it isn't depending on the sports you like. Fortunately, there's enough money spent on NFL, NBA and NCAA basketball that our versions of ESPN and Fox Sports (TSN and Sportsnet) will invest in broadcast rights. It doesn't provide the level of access a fan like myself wants to have, nor at an affordable price.

Here's a breakdown that I hope helps clarify things:

1) ESPN Family of Channels: We don't have this due to TV regulations here and a term called "Canadian Content". The rules are convoluted, however it allows US shows to be broadcast in Canada to an extent however ESPN can't really exist in Canada. Most of what we get to see is broadcast by TSN because of their partnership with ESPN. Same for ESPN+. We have TSN+ but it pales in comparison.

2) Canadians in NCAA: While there are a significant amount of athletes competing in various sports, it hasn't been enough to get our sports networks to consistently broadcast NCAA games outside the larger FB bowl games, MBB and March Madness (MBB/WBB). And only in the last few years, has there been any effort to broadcast the actual women's tournament that lead up to the Final Four.

3) How do we watch: The grey market of television via streaming services that provide access to all the major US networks. Options like YouTubeTV, Sling, and Fubo are not available to us.

4) Sports boring: All a matter of perspective because what draws ratings here differs from the US. Winter sports Canadians consider core to the culture (e.g. hockey, curling) receive a lot of TV time. Tennis, Formula One, NASCAR and soccer all draw a lot of viewers as well based on what networks schedule throughout the year. There also is a demand for NFL, NBA and ESPN shows which TSN gladly broadcast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom