TV Deal Done | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TV Deal Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
My fear, which is not solved by what I've heard yet, is that games we've had on SNY will instead be only on ESPN3. When I'm sure that's not the case, I'll take a breath. But moving games from SNY to ESPN3, with internet only coverage, would be a huge step back, even if the cable coverage is available nationwide.

Totally agree with this. SNY is on most basic cable pkgs and ESPNU is not. ESPN3 is not available to me.(don't you have to belong to comcast and a few others?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My initial reaction to the deal was that the league should just call themselves the ESPNU League they are going to be filling up that station.

The CBS deal is for a handful of games on CBS not cable inventory. Probably like 4-6 games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. SNY is on most basic cable pkgs and ESPNU is not. ESPN3 is not available to me.(don't you have to belong to comcast and a few others?

Depends on where you live. Outside the tri state area SNY is hard to find. ESPNU is on almost every cable package I've ever seen. Certainly much larger audience than SNY. ESPN3 requires a participating cable company. Comcast and Verizon are in. For me it is great. Have it on iPhone, iPad, XBOX360 so can watch on TV at home or anywhere I have a 3G or better signal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Depends on where you live. Outside the tri state area SNY is hard to find. ESPNU is on almost every cable package I've ever seen. Certainly much larger audience than SNY. ESPN3 requires a participating cable company. Comcast and Verizon are in. For me it is great. Have it on iPhone, iPad, XBOX360 so can watch on TV at home or anywhere I have a 3G or better signal.

SNY is on nationally on AT&T UVerse and Direct TV among others. I think it's safe to say that most if not all ESPN3 games will be picked up by SNY.

Reaction Score
ESPN3 requires a participating cable company. Comcast and Verizon are in. For me it is great. Have it on iPhone, iPad, XBOX360 so can watch on TV at home or anywhere I have a 3G or better signal.

Here are the cable providers needed to access ESPN3 for free:

image.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread. ESPN would never void the contract. It would probably be smart for two schools (UConn and Cincinnati for example) to simply quit the league and then form a scheduling alliance with the league, daring ESPN to void the deal.

Reaction Score
SNY is not on any of the the basic packages on Direct TV . (at least in AZ_
It come standard with the premier deal
or its 8-10 bucks a month extra if you by the FOX sports package
You also get YES and MidAtlanlic Channel plus soccer.
The Mid Atlantic channel shows the O's and replays all the BIG East Games
I'll have to check for ESPNU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPNU is on DTV. It used to be like 614 when I had it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think watching UConn games on TV is worth an extra $8 to $10 a month

Reaction Score
I dropped Cablevision and went to DTV years ago because they wouldn't carry ESPNU. Now that I have it (and Sunday ticket) I won't ever go back.

Reaction Score
And NESN. Couldn't believe I could live in the middle of CT and not be able to get UCONN or Sox games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there was about $4MM more of revenue in the deal, I would say UConn was in pretty good shape. The exposure is very good. ESPN needs content, and with the Big 10 and Pac 12 pulling away, there is no where else to go.

The NNNBE really got hosed by Tranghese's stupid ROFR. ROFR's always drive low ball bids, because all the other bidders know they will only win the bid if the ROFR holder doesn't want the deal. Since ESPN could have taken the deal whether NBC bid high or low, what incentive was there for NBC to bid high? So NBC bids low and hopes ESPN doesn't want the Big East.

They are stupid to give, and a lawyer should have known better.
Bidding high(er) creates a disincentive to the ROFR holder. It also takes money out of play that could be used elsewhere. NBC either thought that ESPN had no interest in the games, NBC had no interest in the games, there is something going on the margins of which we are not aware, or NBC misplayed its hand.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The key to defeating a ROFR clause is to bid $ wise what you are comfortable paying and use the ancillary clauses as poison pills that you can accept and the Rights holder can't.

Guaranteeing a Saturday noon/2:30 slot on Broadcast network or cable outlet reaching X homes, where X is the number of homes ESPN reaches but not ESPNU, would be one example.

Reverting rights to non-broadcast games back to the conference would be another.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dropped Cablevision and went to DTV years ago because they wouldn't carry ESPNU. Now that I have it (and Sunday ticket) I won't ever go back.

I went to DTV for ESPNU 5 years ago. Went back to Comcast this year when they caught up somewhat on HD,they PAC 12 network and way better on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom