TV Deal Done | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TV Deal Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you mean ESPNU? Or is this it that ESPN3 games are blacked out in Connecticut? Because for me in NY, SNY shows all the games that are simultaneously being broadcast on ESPN3. I also believe that since ESPN3 wasn't mentioned at all in that press release, they will not show any of the contracted games on ESPN3, only the game that are not contracted.

I think he's talking about the scenario, where ESPN owns the rights, and chooses ONLY to put the game on espn3.com.

Reaction Score
It's a legit concern, and it is the last piece of the puzzle. The SNY deal, I believe expires after 2013, and remains unaffected. It's clear from the announcement that ESPN is going to broadcast the vast majority of football games (all conference games, and all non-conference games, where the 'conference soon to be named' is the home venue.)

I think SNY was a three year deal that started in 2010 - might be wrong - but I think it will expire as this deal starts in 2014, and that would leave SNY able to look into broadcasting any non-conference - away games for UCONN)

But regarding, espn3.com, and internet only broadcasting, It hasn't been made clear, what ESPN "national broadcast" and "national cable" mean. Until I see it laid out clear - what your fear is - I agree that it's a concern. What I fall back on, is that ESPN was required to match all aspects of the NBC contract offer, and I do not believe that NBC Sports has the online broadcasting capability that ESPN has, to put an entire game production together only over the internet, therefore, by matching the contract, ti would seem that putting football games on ESPN3.com, would NOT be part of the deal.

As for basketball though? I hope that we aren't on espn3.com.

PaulDoyle1 2:29pm via Web
Aresco says conference will announce network basketball deal next week. Deal reportedly w/CBS.

Reaction Score
If there was about $4MM more of revenue in the deal, I would say UConn was in pretty good shape. The exposure is very good. ESPN needs content, and with the Big 10 and Pac 12 pulling away, there is no where else to go.

The NNNBE really got hosed by Tranghese's stupid ROFR. ROFR's always drive low ball bids, because all the other bidders know they will only win the bid if the ROFR holder doesn't want the deal. Since ESPN could have taken the deal whether NBC bid high or low, what incentive was there for NBC to bid high? So NBC bids low and hopes ESPN doesn't want the Big East.

They are stupid to give, and a lawyer should have known better.

If this is true, wouldn't it have been smarter to not go on the open market and instead get the best deal possible from espn? I guess the counter argument would be that espn would have never offered the current coverage if NBC hadn't. I just have a feeling that espn ended paying way less than than they were willing to because of the right of first refusal. NBC really the conference with such a ridiculous low offer.

Reaction Score
If this is true, wouldn't it have been smarter to not go on the open market and instead get the best deal possible from espn? I guess the counter argument would be that espn would have never offered the current coverage if NBC hadn't. I just have a feeling that espn ended paying way less than than they were willing to because of the right of first refusal. NBC really ed the conference with such a ridiculous low offer.
PaulDoyle1 2:29pm via Web
Aresco says conference will announce network basketball deal next week. Deal reportedly w/CBS.

That must be for the other 40% or so games that aren't going to be on ESPN "national broadcast" or "national cable". NBC's lowball offer, essentially ensured that all of the new conference football and basketball games will be available nationally on ESPN television channels.

Reaction Score
I think he's talking about the scenario, where ESPN owns the rights, and chooses ONLY to put the game on espn3.com.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. If all our games are on the U -- with no local outlet -- I'm o.k. with that. But I'm still worried that games that have been on SNY throughout metro New York are going to be internet only. Until I see otherwise.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 3:35pm via TweetDeck
Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave
Interesting development. I agree with BL thst the last hurdle is with SNY. They still have the women's games so I think they would still have interest in carrying UConn games in all sports. I dunno if it's possible but a lot of carriers in CT added SNY due to the UConn coverage. Can they drop the network and add CBSSports instead? I know on Cox I only get CBSSports in non HD. I'd hope that'd change if bball is on that channel.

As for ESPN3, I too don't knoe where that fits in with the "national exposure". I hope it's not counted and if that's true and we are on a network for all games this deal is a win outside of the financial part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't know folks, I have to trust in a guy that has spent his entire life in working out major moving parts deals regarding broadcasting of collegiate sports. So far, I've really no reason to not trust that we will get the best possible TV deal. Exposure, in our current conference, is a hell of alot more important than money.

SNY, is the very first television network, to consolidate UCONN sports. Football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. It was a HUGE success. It's a short term deal, and I'm not looking up the specifics of it.

I would guess, that much like the announcement that just came out about Navy football, and their existing contracts through 2017 being untouched, I would think that any SNY deals for men's and women's hoops, are going to remain untouched for their duration as well, meaning that any games already expected to be on SNY, will still be there, and the rest are going to be on ESPN 'national broadcast' or 'national cable'.

The concern voiced - is what those two terms actually mean, specifically - do either of those terms 'national broadcast' or 'national cable' apply to the situation where ESPN owns broadcast rights, and chooses to ONLY make the broadcast available on espn3.com.

any reporters reading? Media? Do your jobs.

As for football on SNY - based on today's announcement, the only games SNY will have the opportunity to broadcast, once the existing contract runs out, will be away - non-conference games, which won't be that many games, and there's no reason to think, that they won't want to go after those games.

Reaction Score
I don't know folks, I have to trust in a guy that has spent his entire life in working out major moving parts deals regarding broadcasting of collegiate sports. So far, I've really no reason to not trust that we will get the best possible TV deal. Exposure, in our current conference, is a hell of alot more important than money.

SNY, is the very first television network, to consolidate UCONN sports. Football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. It was a HUGE success. It's a short term deal, and I'm not looking up the specifics of it.

I would guess, that much like the announcement that just came out about Navy football, and their existing contracts through 2017 being untouched, I would think that any SNY deals for men's and women's hoops, are going to remain untouched for their duration as well, meaning that any games already expected to be on SNY, will still be there, and the rest are going to be on ESPN 'national broadcast' or 'national cable'.

The concern voiced - is what those two terms actually mean, specifically - do either of those terms 'national broadcast' or 'national cable' apply to the situation where ESPN owns broadcast rights, and chooses to ONLY make the broadcast available on espn3.com.

any reporters reading? Media? Do your jobs.

As for football on SNY - based on today's announcement, the only games SNY will have the opportunity to broadcast, once the existing contract runs out, will be away - non-conference games, which won't be that many games, and there's no reason to think, that they won't want to go after those games.

I want to be clear -- I have no reason to think Aresco won't have gotten us as good a deal as was to be gotten. I'm worried about how bad that deal actually is.

Reaction Score
I want to be clear -- I have no reason to think Aresco won't have gotten us as good a deal as was to be gotten. I'm worried about how bad that deal actually is.

Based on what I've gathered so far, I think your major concern at this point, is actually directed at what CBS intends to do with 'conference yet to be named' basketball games, because that network is poised right now, to use UCONN, to drive any media platform they want in the northeast, the same way that ESPN used the UCONN brand for 20 years. It seems that unless espn3.com, falls into the category of a national broadcast or national cable category, basketball and football is going to be on an ESPN channel.

And make no mistake, for football, for the new conference that is HUGE. Not only in recruiting, as it was mentioned. Any opponent approached by this new conference membership, for a home and home, will be GUARANTEED a national ESPN broadcast when they travel.

The details of the basketball contract still need to come out regarding CBS.

It trully is up to us now, to go out and win. I love it. I want it no other way. No questions. Just win, and the spoils will come.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
quick question: what time are these "national broadcasts"? based on the other contracts ESPN/ABC has I guess Wednesday at noon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My fear, which is not solved by what I've heard yet, is that games we've had on SNY will instead be only on ESPN3. When I'm sure that's not the case, I'll take a breath. But moving games from SNY to ESPN3, with internet only coverage, would be a huge step back, even if the cable coverage is available nationwide.

For me it is exactly the same, since the SNY games were also on ESPN3, and I get ESPN3 and not SNY. My worry with NBC, was losing ESPN3.

Reaction Score
Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave

Sounds like a chinese restaurant menu - one from column A, two from column B:

"That was made by NBC Sports Network, which included a stipulation that the seven-year deal could be terminated if the league lost two more schools, sources said. ESPN could only match NBC Sports Network's deal and not change the language of the contract, sources said. NBC Sports Network's contract divided the league into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members), sources said.
The media rights deal can be terminated if either two Group A schools leave or one Group A and one Group B school leave. If two Group B schools leave, the contract will be renegotiated, sources said. This does not include any schools that already have announced they are leaving, such as Louisville, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh or Syracuse"

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nated-two-more-school-exits-according-sources

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
McMurphy has more in this story.

Basically ESPN matched NBC's terms which included this:

NBC Sports Network's contract divided the league into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members), sources said.

The media rights deal can be terminated if either two Group A schools leave or one Group A and one Group B school leave. If two Group B schools leave, the contract will be renegotiated, sources said.
I suppose we can take a tiny bit of comfort knowing that NBC thought we might be the first ones out the door (gotta take what you can get). Anything to read into USF / UCF not being in group A? Maybe Tuxedo's pet theory of them being B12 fodder didn't make it to NBC's offices.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

"That was made by NBC Sports Network, which included a stipulation that the seven-year deal could be terminated if the league lost two more schools, sources said. ESPN could only match NBC Sports Network's deal and not change the language of the contract, sources said. NBC Sports Network's contract divided the league into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members), sources said.
The media rights deal can be terminated if either two Group A schools leave or one Group A and one Group B school leave. If two Group B schools leave, the contract will be renegotiated, sources said. This does not include any schools that already have announced they are leaving, such as Louisville, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh or Syracuse"

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nated-two-more-school-exits-according-sources

Well this is good news - Group B schools get less money.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9071683/big-east-media-rights-deal-terminated-two-more-school-exits-according-sources[/quote]

Finally we are winners in conference realignment! For the first time, we were viewed as better than somebody else.

Reaction Score

ESPN is contracted to SHOW national games, according to that article, even if it means it will show 100 games on ESPNU.

Reaction Score
Sources said the media rights deal also stipulated a reduction in the 2013-14 payout for men's basketball from $10 million to $6 million if the Catholic 7 schools left before 2014. Those seven schools -- along with Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame -- are leaving after this season.
The final six years of the deal -- $20 million annually through 2019-20 for football and men's basketball -- does not change because it wasn't dependent on the Catholic 7 schools remaining in the league, sources said.

I will never be able to understand this as long as I live. A conference worth $10 million in 2014-15 is worth $6 million in 2013-14 because it includes Louisville and Rutgers.

I've said this all along and have been criticized for it, but whoever is doing these valuations is doing meth.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I will never be able to understand this as long as I live. A conference worth $10 million in 2014-15 is worth $6 million in 2013-14 because it includes Louisville and Rutgers.

I've said this all along and have been criticized for it, but whoever is doing these valuations is doing meth.
That $6 mil is bball only. Our prior bball deal expires now and our current football deal expires in 2014.

Reaction Score
That $6 mil is bball only. Our prior bball deal expires now and our current football deal expires in 2014.

Got it. I'd still say it doesn't make any sense.

Reaction Score
"With all of the shuffling and extensions, it can be hard to keep up. Here’s a listing, according to information from ESPN, The Associated Press, SportsBusiness Daily, SportsBusiness Journal and Adweek, of where things stand now. Also, per-year averages and per-school, per-year averages are straight averages and do not take into account actual variances by year as stipulated in individual contracts."

Simplified explanation of rights and tiers included.

vomit.jpg

Sucks to read but it is what it is @ this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom