TV Deal Done | The Boneyard

TV Deal Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what does uconn get from SNY for the rights to their games? i don't know but I wonder if the net net of this Uconn loses SNY and actually gets less money in the process

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interesting. Unable to get money, Aresco went with better coverage. That may have been the best he could do. Now, we'll see just how well he did when we see which "national broadcast or cable channels" actually carry which games.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Unable to get , Aresco went with better coverage. That may have been the best he could do. Now, we'll see just how well he did when we see which "national broadcast or cable channels" actually carry which games.

>> In football, the new contract will provide unprecedented national coverage for the league. In essence, the extensive national television coverage replaces previous syndication and local telecasts. All conference controlled games, which are conference games and non-conference home games, will be televised.
  • Nearly 90 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable.
  • The minimum number of telecasts collectively on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be higher than the number of telecasts in the current contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.
  • The conference championship game, which is expected to begin in 2015, will be carried by ABC or ESPN on Championship Saturday.
In men’s basketball, all conference controlled games will be televised.
  • More than 63 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable, which will be a minimum of 107 games.
  • The entire conference postseason basketball tournament will be on national television. The championship game will be televised on ABC or ESPN.
In women’s basketball, there is tremendous national and regional coverage.
  • Nearly 60 games will be televised on national cable, regional sports networks and ESPN3, including the entire women’s basketball postseason tournament. Eighteen regular-season games will be televised nationally.
  • The women’s basketball tournament championship game will be on ESPN or ESPN2. The semifinals also will be on national cable.
In Olympic sports, numerous championship contests will be televised nationally.<<

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/4...-east-signs-comprehensive-deal-with-espn.aspx

Reaction Score
sounds like good exposure, assuming they are not counting espn3. Is the first bullet under football = to the 2nd bullet?

Reaction Score
The C7 may be getting a little more money from Fox, but good luck trying to find their games on TV. The extra exposure we will get with this contract is worth a whole lot more. In the end, it was imperative that we stayed with ESPN because whether we like it or not, they control the sports world. If you are not one of their partners you might as well not exist.

Reaction Score
what does uconn get from SNY for the rights to their games? i don't know but I wonder if the net net of this Uconn loses SNY and actually gets less money in the process

UConn gets nothing for football and men's bb. It is only paid for women's bb. On the other hand, UConn's licensing rights are sold to IMG, and IMG produces and sells some of the coach's shows, so there are residual benefits of being on SNY for UConn. But not the games themselves (other than women's).

The money goes to the conference.

Reaction Score
Looks like Aresco sold UConn's women's bb games....let's see, $1.2 m directly to UConn from sNY that will now be divided equally by memphis, tulane, ecu.

Reaction Score
I hope everyone gets ESPNU.

If someone obliterated that channel, this would be a pretty decent deal.

Reaction Score
“I am delighted that the current Big East Conference, which will be renamed and rebranded, will be partnering with ESPN well into the future,” said Aresco. “The extraordinary exposure provided by the ESPN networks will give viewers the opportunity to see the exciting competition and intense rivalries that will characterize our Conference.”

oh the spin. I am dizzy.

CL82

Reaction Score

That's what I am afraid of as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
Looks like Aresco sold UConn's women's bb games....let's see, $1.2 m directly to UConn from sNY that will now be divided equally by memphis, tulane, ecu.
Hopefully we aren't around long enough for this to be an issue.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Or resold to CBSSN to local SNY equivalents? It can't be as good as it sounds. No way is the A12 in a regular noon spot on ESPN2 or primetime anywhere other than Thursday nights.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What needs to happen now, is that we need to go out an win. Period. This deal gives us the short term (6 year) window we need to climb out of the mess of marketing that Hathaway left, and be available on TV, regularly, easily accessible, instead of hard to find, and used to push other broadcast media, which was the norm for UCONN with ESPN for decades. The money sucks, but this isn't about money. It's taking a money hit now, to cash in later. The broadcasting money will improve, IF the conference actually demonstrates competitive matchups and wins. We've got a short term deal to prove it - 6 years. The real money was lost, anyway, when the revenue sharing around the college football post season was pared down to 5 conferences, instead of 6 several months ago.

I want it no other way. I'm not a government handout kind of guy. I don't want anybody telling me that UCONN doesn't deserve something, that we didn't earn it. Because the truth is, for the past 15 years, that's exactly the pill I've had to swallow. That we were given a ticket into the big time world of college athletics in 1997, that we did not deserve.

We took what was given, by the Big East, and put it to very good use. If we're going to get back into the big boys club, when it comes to revenue sharing, in big time athletics, it seems clear now that the Big EAst conference has folded and we're the last ones standing, that we're going to need to earn our way now, no questions, if's and's or buts.

We need to win and win big on gridiron. I want it no other way. Big time opponents, big time wins. Top 25. Every fall. That's the goal. That's the charge.

Basketball, yes it does matter too, needs to continue dominate, and continue to schedule and play in the big cities on the east coast, the big markets from DC to NYC to Boston, and that will be a scheduling challenge, but that's why the AD makes his money. Get the schedules done. It will be a big challenge, IMO, because we'll need more big time matchups regularly in hoops, especially early on in the seasons, than we did in the past - scheduling 15 cupcakes to rack up the NCAA tourney qualifying wins in Nov/Dec isn't going to cut the mustard.

Football season can't come fast enough for me.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Or resold to CBSSN to local SNY equivalents? It can't be as good as it sounds. No way is the A12 in a regular noon spot on ESPN2 or primetime anywhere other than Thursday nights.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Incorrect. I've been waiting for this announcement, especially after the schedule was officially released. The weeknight games are ALL already scheduled for ESPN national broadcast. ALL Of them (I think 14 games of 65) The rest of them are going to be on Saturdays, nationally available. Aresco, used NBC's lowball offer, and Tranghese's complete GAFFE of allowing ESPN the rights of first refusal, to squeeze the best television accessibility offer we could get when it comes to actually being on TV.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I kind of a gree with Carl. Look, the best we can do is win. Tell recruits that all our games will be on a national medium, they'll get primo exposure, we'll dominate the league and eventually get our ticket punched out of there.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. I've been waiting for this announcement, especially after the schedule was officially released. The weeknight games are ALL already scheduled for ESPN national broadcast. ALL Of them (I think 14 games of 65) The rest of them are going to be on Saturdays, nationally available. Aresco, used NBC's lowball offer, and Tranghese's complete GAFFE of allowing ESPN the rights of first refusal, to squeeze the best television accessibility offer we could get when it comes to actually being on TV.

Don't say that. Tranghese actually did a great job according to some people.

But generally speaking. I agree.

Just win. The second Pasqualoni clinches a losing record, we should kick his arse out of Storrs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If there was about $4MM more of revenue in the deal, I would say UConn was in pretty good shape. The exposure is very good. ESPN needs content, and with the Big 10 and Pac 12 pulling away, there is no where else to go.

The NNNBE really got hosed by Tranghese's stupid ROFR. ROFR's always drive low ball bids, because all the other bidders know they will only win the bid if the ROFR holder doesn't want the deal. Since ESPN could have taken the deal whether NBC bid high or low, what incentive was there for NBC to bid high? So NBC bids low and hopes ESPN doesn't want the Big East.

They are stupid to give, and a lawyer should have known better.

Reaction Score
People forget how many channels Disney has for sports: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU. On a typical Saturday, they can show 5 games on ABC (4 regional broadcasts, i.e. 2 games at the same time and 1 national), and up to 4 games each on the ESPN networks, which means up to 17 games on a Saturday. Throw in up to 3 weeknight games, and Disney has room for up to 20 games per week.

Also, there is the rise of conference networks which all take away content from Disney: Pac 12 Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, and Raycom, as well as the Longhorn Network.

And, don't forget how many channels will be broadcasting college football on Saturday's in the future: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CBSSN, NBCSN, FOX1, FOX2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, BTN, SECN, Pac12 Network, Raycom, LHN,.....

Bottom line, there will be plenty of channels for New Conference content.

Reaction Score
My fear, which is not solved by what I've heard yet, is that games we've had on SNY will instead be only on ESPN3. When I'm sure that's not the case, I'll take a breath. But moving games from SNY to ESPN3, with internet only coverage, would be a huge step back, even if the cable coverage is available nationwide.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if people realize it, but espn considers a game on espn3 to be a national broadcast.

So exposure is a very big question mark. Only games most likely to make espn or espn2 let alone abc will be wed nite games.

My fear, which is not solved by what I've heard yet, is that games we've had on SNY will instead be only on ESPN3. When I'm sure that's not the case, I'll take a breath. But moving games from SNY to ESPN3, with internet only coverage, would be a huge step back, even if the cable coverage is available nationwide.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Have you guys ever tried to watch a game on ESPN3? Almost every game is blacked out, because the are all picked up in syndication. I wouldn't worry abou ESPN3.

Reaction Score

Since they specifically called out ESPN3 and regional sports networks in the women's basketball blurb, I would think that ESPN3 is not considered a national broadcast or national cable network for football. Then again this is the conference formerly known as the Big East.

Reaction Score

Do you mean ESPNU? Or is this it that ESPN3 games are blacked out in Connecticut? Because for me in NY, SNY shows all the games that are simultaneously being broadcast on ESPN3. I also believe that since ESPN3 wasn't mentioned at all in that press release, they will not show any of the contracted games on ESPN3, only the game that are not contracted.

Reaction Score

It's a legit concern, and it is the last piece of the puzzle. The SNY deal, I believe expires after 2013, and remains unaffected. It's clear from the announcement that ESPN is going to broadcast the vast majority of football games (all conference games, and all non-conference games, where the 'conference soon to be named' is the home venue.)

I think SNY was a three year deal that started in 2010 - might be wrong - but I think it will expire as this deal starts in 2014, and that would leave SNY able to look into broadcasting any non-conference - away games for UCONN)

But regarding, espn3.com, and internet only broadcasting, It hasn't been made clear, what ESPN "national broadcast" and "national cable" mean. Until I see it laid out clear - what your fear is - I agree that it's a concern. What I fall back on, is that ESPN was required to match all aspects of the NBC contract offer, and I do not believe that NBC Sports has the online broadcasting capability that ESPN has, to put an entire game production together only over the internet, therefore, by matching the contract, ti would seem that putting football games on ESPN3.com, would NOT be part of the deal.

As for basketball though? I hope that we aren't on espn3.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom