TV comparison - AAC vs. Big East (2018-2019) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TV comparison - AAC vs. Big East (2018-2019)

Reaction Score
I would be curious to know how many games Cincy, Memphis and Houston had on ESPN/2 last year. I recall a lot of times we'd be playing on a Thursday night on ESPN News/U or CBSsports when one of the former was on ESPN/2. I agree our loss of exposure on the flagship channels was definitely driven by UConn's performance the last 3 seasons than any other factor.
Just looking at conference games that appeared on ESPN/2 and CBS in 2019 (with 2018 standings included), sorted by total games on ESPN/2+CBS:

Reaction Score
Just looking at conference games that appeared on ESPN/2 and CBS in 2019 (with 2018 standings included), sorted by total games on ESPN/2+CBS:

View attachment 44155

So I guess the question is what did the 4th or so best brand do for Big East last year in a similar measurement of network + basic cable.

Reaction Score
Is FS1 on the same level as ESPN2?

From an access standpoint, yes (it's in like only 2% less homes). From an eyeballs perspective, no. But for this exercise, I'd say yes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FS's best option is FOX, not FS1.

FOX/CBS > ESPN/ESPN2 > FS/ESPNU/ESPNews > CBSSN > ESPN+

Exactly. I’d make one more cut. CBSN stinks. Most bars don’t even seem to have it. The only place I can reliably catch a CBSSN game away from home is Buffalo Wild Wings. And it will be on a couple small TVs.

Reaction Score
From an access standpoint, yes (it's in like only 2% less homes). From an eyeballs perspective, no. But for this exercise, I'd say yes.

Reaction Score
Is FS1 on the same level as ESPN2?

Here’s something to think about:

Hockey and ESPN.

Pre-lock out ESPN gave the NHL access to more eyeballs, however they clearly were not the priority.

Being on NBC Sports, I think, has benefited the NHL tremendously. They are the focus at that network.

Reaction Score

Big East is much more equitable than AAC, which makes sense since AAC has/had such a huge disparity between top and bottom of brand size. Good to see that all of Villanova, Marquette, Johnnies, Georgetown, and Xavier had double the AAC's top number of network TV games. I'd expect us to be in that tier below Villanova until we win some tournament games or get a high pre-season ranking. Although they might give us Nova numbers right off the bat as biggest market and first year back hype (plus our team should be good that year).

So 4 conference network TV games, 10 FS1 games, and 6 games on CBSSN seems likely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure where some of the numbers are coming from that some are posting, but here is the 2018-19 viewers average.

CBS 1,540m
ESPN 1,199 (Zion effect)
FOX 894k
ESPN2 330k
FS1 171K
ESPNU 86K

The FS1 number gets dragged down with most of the Big East "buy games" shown on national TV. Where those games would be shown on espn3/ESPN+ if Disney had the rights.

Reaction Score
Yep. Inside the Big East. Usually airs on Sunday's starting in January.
what’s a good college basketball show besides college gameday that’s throughout the entire year

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Even if you grant the poor performance = loss of viewership opportunity argument you have to acknowledge that the AAC did, even if only partially, impact performance. UConn needs the NYC pipeline. The NYC pipeline needs games in New York.

Reaction Score
Even if you grant the poor performance = loss of viewership opportunity argument you have to acknowledge that the AAC did, even if only partially, impact performance. UConn needs the NYC pipeline. The NYC pipeline needs games in New York.

College hoops recruiting is a regional game, and our coach is focused strongly on the northeast even moreso. The AAC was, and would have been, an ongoing issue. It wasn't the "reason" why we went downhill so fast.
Use the video game analogy. In the height of the Calhoun era, the recruiting "game" was set to "easy" -- we had established ourselves as a premier national program, we were playing in a top conference with a focus on the northeast, and most of our games were on a national network or the top tier of the most-watched sports cable network. We also had an expert playing the game in JC.

Fast-forward to 2015 through today. The game is now set to "expert". You can win, but the game is more difficult. A good player can beat the game on any setting. We handed the control over to our kid brother and he screwed everything up.

This move puts the game setting back towards something like "moderate".

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Monday is likely not happening.

Unfortunately, Sunday games will still be a thing.

But....I think we have a fighting chance at some Saturday games during the conference season and the ridiculous Thursday/Sunday rotation we were locked to for much of the season will not be a thing. We'll see a mix of Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
I will be happy with that if it means annual March Thursday/Friday and Saturday/Sunday games.

Reaction Score
Our alumni base and viewership is bigger than anyone in the conference. That is a not a slight of anyone, it's just reality. UConn has 32,000 students (undergrad/grad). Schools like Providence have 4,200, Seton Hall 11,000, Villanova 10,000.

Bottom line is FOX wanted us because we bring the NYC market, and we are considerably bigger than the rest of the conference. I expect us to be on FOX/FS1 a lot right from the start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom