Turnover kings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Turnover kings

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how it seems like every D-1 school has at least one or two shooters and we haven’t had One in 5 years. How is that possible??
Just maybe less commitment to being gym rats who shoot 500 shots a day.

Reaction Score
Here he is........................unstoppable. Think he put the time in after practice?

Bring him in for a week for motivational talks!

But do not have him teach his form. It worked for him, but I wouldn’t want to see others trying it.

Reaction Score
My theory is that at the lower levels, kids with supreme athleticism can get themselves good, close looks when they want with that athleticism. That means that they don’t need to practice outside shots to succeed. Add that on playgrounds in pickup games, it’s the flashy drives to the hope that draw the big responses. So, many of the top ranked kids haven’t developed that part of their game when they get to college. Some don’t even have to develop it until they get to the pro level, e.g. Jason Kidd, Magic.

Reaction Score
My theory is that at the lower levels, kids with supreme athleticism can get themselves good, close looks when they want with that athleticism. That means that they don’t need to practice outside shots to succeed. Add that on playgrounds in pickup games, it’s the flashy drives to the hope that draw the big responses. So, many of the top ranked kids haven’t developed that part of their game when they get to college. Some don’t even have to develop it until they get to the pro level, e.g. Jason Kidd, Magic.

I just think Kevin Ollie didn't put a value on skill. He was interested in length and athleticism and figured he can teach the skill part. Ollie also spent way too much time coaching defense.

Everyone wants to shoot 3-pointers these days. It is the era of Stef Curry, James Harden and now Trae Young. Kids shoot 30 footers at the playground. AAU games have a ton of 3s.

You just have to recruit to shoot. Take less athleticism and more skill if you need to. No excuse not to be a good shooter in modern basketball anymore. You can't be effective if you can't shoot.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm sure Hurley expected Bouk and Akok to be better shooters. Akok in particular was billed as an excellent shooter for a big.

Also not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but Vital is down 10%, Gilbert regressed somehow, and our other guys are questionable. Losing Polley was a huge deal.

Reaction Score
Because everyone wants super athletes who can dunk and bigs, and shooting has been third on the recruiting list. It has to be first. If you throw five guys on the floor who can all hit an open shot you are a very dangerous team.
Ok fair enough but how’s that plan of attack been working for us last 5 years ??

Reaction Score
I just think Kevin Ollie didn't put a value on skill. He was interested in length and athleticism and figured he can teach the skill part. Ollie also spent way too much time coaching defense.

Everyone wants to shoot 3-pointers these days. It is the era of Stef Curry, James Harden and now Trae Young. Kids shoot 30 footers at the playground. AAU games have a ton of 3s.

You just have to recruit to shoot. Take less athleticism and more skill if you need to. No excuse not to be a good shooter in modern basketball anymore. You can't be effective if you can't shoot.

Kevin Ollies been gone for 2 years, still no one can shoot and their worst this year.. By the way check the rest of the country and their stats too, is it all Kevin Ollies fault that hardly anyone can shoot? LOL Let's not go there please.

I will agree we go after shooters even if less athletic. I hope Andre Jackson lives in the gym because even if a decent shooter with his skills he will be special. But we need to realize some people just can't shoot even with practice.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollies been gone for 2 years, still no one can shoot and their worst this year.. By the way check the rest of the country and their stats too, is it all Kevin Ollies fault that hardly anyone can shoot? LOL Let's not go there please.

I will agree we go after shooters even if less athletic. I hope Andre Jackson lives in the gym because even if a decent shooter with his skills he will be special. But we need to realize some people just can't shoot even with practice.

Not criticizing Kevin. It was his choice of recruits. He liked super athletic players. When their skills catch up they become incredible. Problem with college hoops right now is players are too young, coaches make every possession like the Alamo and no one runs fastbreaks anymore outside of Gonzaga and handful of teams.

The entire sport is awful to watch. There are reasons for that.

Also, Vital is a good shooter. I have no idea why his shooting percentages are as bad as they are. Shot selection can explain some of it, but he is a much better shooter than his numbers suggest.

He was 44/40/89 last year. No idea how he is 33/31/90 this year. That makes no sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not criticizing Kevin. It was his choice of recruits. He liked super athletic players. When their skills catch up they become incredible. Problem with college hoops right now is players are too young, coaches make every possession like the Alamo and no one runs fastbreaks anymore outside of Gonzaga and handful of teams.

The entire sport is awful to watch. There are reasons for that.

Also, Vital is a good shooter. I have no idea why his shooting percentages are as bad as they are. Shot selection can explain some of it, but he is a much better shooter than his numbers suggest.

He was 44/40/89 last year. No idea how he is 33/31/90 this year. That makes no sense.

The line is further out for one thing. I think he's getting cleaner looks than before in most cases. However, he's also taking some of those shots where he moves to the side to avoid the close out, then shoots. He always misses those (ironically those were the ones Jalen Adams made). Vital really needs to shoot off the catch, as does Polley.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm not putting Vital into the good shooter category. He is capable of streaky shooting, when everything is working, but his mechanics are flawed. He slings the ball from too far over his head, that makes his shot much less reliable. When it's working he can hit several in a row. When it doesn't, his shot is all over the place. Polley has much better mechanics, which is why I've been on him since day one as the best of the shooters we have. Polley's misses are nearly always right on line. Too bad about the ACL, he'd be a big help.

Of the guys available now Gaffney has pretty good mechanics. Bouknight is OK when he gets his feet set, but he drifts sometimes. Akok needs more consistent mechanics. His are variable game to game, which you'd expect with his long arms and thin frame. Wilson's mechanics aren't bad, but he needs a lot more repetition from 3. Adams is OK, can definitely improve his percentages if he arcs it a bit more - his shot tends to be flat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom