Turn on AMC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Turn on AMC

Reaction Score
I liked the initial episodes. But the show right now is just a Simcoe, Abe, Robert Rogers drama. Hopefully with the impending turn of Benedict Arnold we can get back to more historically-based events and focus on spying.

Reaction Score
I'm up to date on it. It's a good watch, IMO. Definitely not on par w/ The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc... (but that's a pretty high bar), but it's decent.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For my taste, there's a bit too much forced plotlines where Abe has to concoct a complex web of lies to keep operating, especially in season 2-3. However we are finally at the point where
Arnold has committed treason and been found out
and things are moving along at the end of the season. I'm guessing that the way things are proceeding they might wrap it all up and not go to a fourth season.

Not sure I buy the change of Mary Woodhull's character especially over the past few episodes but I guess that's what the kids call a "ride or die" wife.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why not continue after season 4? The writers have 240 years of material from which to draw new archs.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Why not continue after season 4? The writers have 240 years of material from which to draw new archs.
Well, the ratings didn't pick up this season. No spillover from the Hamilton musical, apparently. With the last episode of season three, it was mostly tied up in a bow - with just a tiny hint that the Culper ring could be reconstituted. So we'll see what happens.

On another note, while googling around I came upon this article on Powder House Day, which was an earlier chapter of Benedict Arnold's story right after Bunker Hill. I had never heard about it despite living in New Haven / Hamden for quite some time. I suppose Arnold would be glad to know that at least for one day out of the year somebody remembers him for his time as a patriot rather than as a traitor...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Halfway through season 1. Solid show.

Edit: One of the things Turn did that every period piece should do is cast people that do not look alike. It makes it so much easier to follow the plot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Halfway through season 1. Solid show.

Edit: One of the things Turn did that every period piece should do is cast people that do not look alike. It makes it so much easier to follow the plot.

I've said it before, but Samuel Roukin delivers a tour de force as Captain John Simcoe. One of the greatest TV villains of all time imo. He's perfect.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, but Samuel Roukin delivers a tour de force as Captain John Simcoe. One of the greatest TV villains of all time imo. He's perfect.
he really is very unlikable in that role.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Through season 2. This show is really well written. Historical fiction is hard to write because most of the people watching already know the outcome. This show does a great job developing characters and building suspense despite that. I am disappointed and a little surprised the show does not have better ratings.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Through season 2. This show is really well written. Historical fiction is hard to write because most of the people watching already know the outcome. This show does a great job developing characters and building suspense despite that. I am disappointed and a little surprised the show does not have better ratings.

People don't like good stuff anymore. They want Fast & The Furious 32.

Also, getting ratings on Netflix can be tough is a tricky business.

Reaction Score
It really is a good show, and I am looking forward to the next season. I have family out on Long Island (Huntington, Oyster Bay, Cold Spring Harbor) and I never paid attention/noticed (until this show) how much history and what an impact people from those towns had on "Turn"ing the revolutionary war in the Colonies favor. There are schools, roads, and parks named after key figures from the Revolution (characters from the show); even a memorial for Nathan Hale (a Connecticut boy), who was out there initiating his fatal spy mission before being captured in the City.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finished season 3. Binge watched tonight so I am cooked for tomorrow, but it was worth it. Great show, incredible ending. So well done.

Reaction Score
he really is very unlikable in that role.
Watched a lot of the 1.5 seasons with my son who was 10 at the time (I'd fast forward thru gory parts), Simcoe replaced the Abominable Snowman as his love to hate villain. Psyched for final season as he's almost 13 now and we can likely watch the whole thing together.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
June 17th, promos all over AMC if you are watching Better Call Saul

Never checked it out. I liked BB, but didn't think it was 'best show ever' like a bunch of people. Not Top 5 for me.

Excited for turn though. Love an engaging period piece. And that particular period in time lends itself to quality story telling.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just watched the final episode. So well done. With streaming, this may be one of those shows that improves with age. May be one of the best historical dramas ever put on TV.

Reaction Score
Anyone still watching this?

I finished up season 2 on Netflix and I'm about to catch up with the series on DVR. I don't think it's completely awful, but it is not The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men either. Also, I'm not really interested in how true to actual history. I am well aware that, like most of what comes out of Hollywood, Turn is "Based on Actual Events," which has a very broad definition.

That said, it is still an entertaining 48-60 minutes, depending on how quickly one can circumvent commercials.
I started watching it when the first season premiered and recently watched season two on Netflix. Was hoping Simcoe would get the axe or the rope sooner or later but according to history he won't, goes on to become a high ranking British General.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I started watching it when the first season premiered and recently watched season two on Netflix. Was hoping Simcoe would get the axe or the rope sooner or later but according to history he won't, goes on to become a high ranking British General.

The show is layered, with good and evil somewhat a function of perspective. The be honest, after Simcoe, who is a sociopath, and Arnold, who is portrayed as a giant, annoying, dork, all the other characters are just trying to get by.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

As I said above, Samuel Roukin as Cpt John Simcoe is magnificent. One of the best villains I've seen on screen anywhere.

Reaction Score
The show is layered, with good and evil somewhat a function of perspective. The be honest, after Simcoe, who is a sociopath, and Arnold, who is portrayed as a giant, annoying, dork, all the other characters are just trying to get by.

I like the actress who plays Abe's love interest and spy, she steals every scene she's in. Her scenes with Captain Simcoe are priceless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom