OT: - tuna salad fans, how do you prepare it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: tuna salad fans, how do you prepare it?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
If you like to kick things up a notch, try adding a little creole mustard or a SMALL pinch of cayenne pepper!

Or you can try Mexican Style by adding cilantro, olive oil, lime, and cumin. You can also add avocado to this!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Chunk white tuna, a little mayo and chopped jalapeño slices. Nice little bite to the tuna.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On a related note, has anyone here tried homemade mayo?

Game changer. So so good.

Reaction Score
WOOF 101
"First to say Miracle Whip ruins everything shows a lack of taste. That's like saying lobster ruins the taste of butter"

Exactly. No such thing as a good tuna sandwich without a half a jar or so of Miracle Whip. And that is why they call it a Miracle. .

Reaction Score

Yes, I used to make it and liked it...now a little older and lazier and don't use it as much.

Cain's is OK for me ... and I'll even sub with others on occasion. As mentioned above I often add some mustard and other stuff (like Bell's seasoning, especially in chicken salad) so commercial mayo is OK most of the time and delicate nuance of good homemade stuff not as evident.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Absolutely; as mentioned earlier, I make some when I know I'll be using it -- mostly during the summer (potato salad season). Extra mustard as jimazee mentioned, I definitely like lemon juice (as opposed to vinegar in commercial mayo), maybe a bit of extra salt. If my kid didn't hate potatoes, I'd make some now and have potato salad tomorrow. Actually, maybe I'll have some on Friday to go with the Memphis barbecue.

Reaction Score
Here's a new take and it is quite tasty: mayo (Hellmans, of course), dried cranberries and chopped fresh dill.

Reaction Score
Well...I'm gonna fall on my sword. I waited to see if anyone commented or called me on it but apparently it isn't going to happen. The truth is I have never (knowingly) tasted Cains mayo. My comments above were meant to be about Duke's Mayo which I (finally) discovered about 10(?) years ago up here in the Northeast.

Yesterday I realized I'd recommended Cains when I meant Duke's...but when I posted, I didn't actually go to the fridge and read the label. Why would I have to? :confused:

I did just search (duckduckgo.com that is) to verify if there is a Cains mayo. There sure is. (Heck Cains may be great...I think I'll try it.)

Old age is hell...sometimes. UH, go Huskies, eat tuna salad!!

Reaction Score
Costco Kirkland White Tuna
Hellmans
Sweet Pickle Relish
Red Onions
Granny Smith Apples
Celery
Oregano
Salt and Pepper
Sometimes I substitute cranberries for the apples. So YUMMY!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mayo, black pepper, sweet relish and tuna fish. Then serve on toast with a bowl of hot tomato soup. MMMM.

Reaction Score
Thanks Clif! This is just the kind of thread we need. Too much gloom and doom. Now let's talk Spam.:)
On the computer or in the can? I remember that on my first day at Parris Island they served Spam at the chow hall for breakfast and when I went outside afterward there were about five guys bent over and it wasn't with laughter.

Reaction Score
WOOF 101
"First to say Miracle Whip ruins everything shows a lack of taste. That's like saying lobster ruins the taste of butter"

Exactly. No such thing as a good tuna sandwich without a half a jar or so of Miracle Whip. And that is why they call it a Miracle. .

With chicken instead.

It's a miracle people can eat that stuff and keep it down.

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
Good one, CAL. ( Plus I gotta say, you're a lot better lookin than rumor suggests. )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom