OT: - tuna salad fans, how do you prepare it? | The Boneyard

OT: tuna salad fans, how do you prepare it?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
solid white in water, chopped onion, celery, pickle, with salt, pepper, mayo, lemon juice, and a bit of pickle brine. luv this stuff. in high school, I had a tuna sammich for lunch around 1/2 the time. I find that most restaurant/store versions are quite good as well. prolly cuz they never heard of miracle whip. that stuff ruins everything.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
solid white in water, chopped onion, celery, pickle, with salt, pepper, mayo, lemon juice, and a bit of pickle brine. luv this stuff. in high school, I had a tuna sammich for lunch around 1/2 the time. I find that most restaurant/store versions are quite good as well. prolly cuz they never heard of miracle whip. that stuff ruins everything.

Key question... what type of pickle?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Key question... what type of pickle?
good question. while I grow pickling cukes, and make pickles in season, for the tuna salad I actually prefer most of the run-of-the-mill store baby dills, except never anything vlasic. that brand is trash for my tastes. b&g, mount olive, brands like that are my go to's.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score

Exactly how I prepare tuna, except I use dill relish instead of pickle (saves time).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
As an alternative to the classic American version above:
1 can of Italian tuna in olive oil
a bit of chopped onion
a bit of caraway or fennel seed
black pepper
half a lemon chopped up
whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...wait, hold up. no mayo? saaaay whut? how do you put that on the bread without stuff flying and falling out all over the place? you some kind of magician?

Reaction Score
Not a big Mayo guy, must be my Italian thing, however in tuna salad I will go light on the mayo (for the binding). If I'm really in the mood to make tuna salad...I have done away with canned tuna and occasionally buy the tuna fillet in water, in them glass jars (almost equivalent of two cans). If I have celery hearts, will chop some up along with onion. Just simple but I will have the tuna on toasted multi grain bread. If I have tomato's, will also slice them up.

Reaction Score
NO ATTACK ON THE OP HERE! Just some food facts along with my reply to the thread title.
First to say Miracle Whip ruins everything shows a lick of taste. ;) That's like saying lobster ruins the taste of butter. Not everyone likes lobster. The topic is "tuna salad", Miracle Whip is a mayo based "salad dressing", simply has more vinegar. As for adding salt I find no need as solid white is packed in salt.

Solid white, chopped onion & celery, black pepper, dill, and blended with Miracle Whip. I will be trying a few things mentioned above for a change of pace / taste.
A good thread to help me wash down the crow I ate last night! :D

Reaction Score
whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...wait, hold up. no mayo? saaaay whut? how do you put that on the bread without stuff flying and falling out all over the place? you some kind of magician?
This is a lighter treat for eating from the bowl. But you can make a hell of a sandwich out of it if you layer it with some sliced hard boiled egg and arugula - cram it onto some still warm fried bread!

Reaction Score
Chopped solid white albacore, Chopped sweet gherkins, chopped leaf parsley, lots of diced celery, black pepper, two tbsp lemon juice, minimum of mayo (two or three tbsp)

Interesting recipe you got there, all "chopped" and "lots of diced celery", without measuring but you decided ONLY "two tbsp lemon juice"...must be the key ingredient to your tuna salad. ;)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
good question. while I grow pickling cukes, and make pickles in season, for the tuna salad I actually prefer most of the run-of-the-mill store baby dills, except never anything vlasic. that brand is trash for my tastes. b&g, mount olive, brands like that are my go to's.

Close. A very "correct" recipe except the pickle. I go with the Mount Olive "Bread & Butter" variety or our homemade zucchini relish. Both kinda sweet, and both perfect for the tuna salad. That said, the baby dills don't ruin it for me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chunk white tuna, a little onion powder, some celery seeds, a little dill, some cinnamon, some toasted pecans, chopped fine, some raisins, some 'craisons', a little chopped romaine, some lemon juice and mayo. Best on rye swirl loaf.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You guys with these food threads..... Head bang

Now imma have to make some tuna salad :oops:

Reaction Score
This is a lighter treat for eating from the bowl. But you can make a hell of a sandwich out of it if you layer it with some sliced hard boiled egg and arugula - cram it onto some still warm fried bread!
Arugula! Yikes, next someone’s going to say kale.

Keep it simple. One can white and one can light for flavor. Celery and Claussen, the best dill pickles, diced. Mayonnaise and s&p to taste. Serve with a slice of American cheese on fresh rye bread. Doesn’t get better!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just tuna and mayo; the wife and daughter put celery in it, too. None of us likes raw onions. Unfortunately, Seidner's went out of business a few decades ago, so really good mayonnaise is no longer available. If I know a pint or two will be gone within a few weeks, I make my own.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
9263AB97-DA2D-4D57-8D16-6804CEBB9568.jpeg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
NO ATTACK ON THE OP HERE! Just some food facts along with my reply to the thread title.
First to say Miracle Whip ruins everything shows a lick of taste. ;) That's like saying lobster ruins the taste of butter. Not everyone likes lobster. The topic is "tuna salad", Miracle Whip is a mayo based "salad dressing", simply has more vinegar. As for adding salt I find no need as solid white is packed in salt.

Solid white, chopped onion & celery, black pepper, dill, and blended with Miracle Whip. I will be trying a few things mentioned above for a change of pace / taste.
A good thread to help me wash down the crow I ate last night! :D
well, at times, I have been accused of having a lack of taste, so theres that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom