Tulsa gets 4* QB Commit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tulsa gets 4* QB Commit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think many people are argueing that point... But it's not like you just walk into the local Piggly Wiggly/Wawa and pluck them off the shelf. You can recruit till the cows come home but if a kid doesn't want to come to Storrs to play in the AAC, he's not coming to Storrs. Until it becomes a desirable location again, you build future pipeline relationships and take kids who have promise and desire.

A lot of it is being in the right place @ the right time. OP is prime example - President gets recruited over @ Baylor, doesn't want to get buried on the depth chart and reaches out to the former OC where he committed who is now head coach @ new school and flips. We need some luck like that...

The kid is a 4 star athlete out of Texas I doubt he was concerned about getting buried on the depth chart. For all we know Montgomery could have reached out to him to switch his commitment. Although I agree, we do need more luck with recruiting.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think many people are argueing that point... But it's not like you just walk into the local Piggly Wiggly/Wawa and pluck them off the shelf. You can recruit till the cows come home but if a kid doesn't want to come to Storrs to play in the AAC, he's not coming to Storrs. Until it becomes a desirable location again, you build future pipeline relationships and take kids who have promise and desire.

A lot of it is being in the right place @ the right time. OP is prime example - President gets recruited over @ Baylor, doesn't want to get buried on the depth chart and reaches out to the former OC where he committed who is now head coach @ new school and flips. We need some luck like that...

Piggly Wiggly...classic!

Also, we've had some luck like that already. And I'm not just talking about the Jordan Todmans of the world. I'm talking about the current squad:

Arkeel Newsome - awesome athlete and running back, who just happened to be born in CT and grew to love the state U.
Ron Johnson - ditto as a RB, except he was headed to Louisville, until the coaching situation changed there. Boom! Welcome to UConn, son.
Vontae Diggs - headed to Ball State? How would you like to be a Husky, my friend? He's already seen some of the field and made some nice plays, but get used to hearing this kid's name!
Kirk Livingstone - offers from a hundred D-1 programs. UAB closes down its football program. Welcome to the University of Connecticut!
Brian Lemelle - all-American honors, and the Pennsylvania state record holder for receptions. A hundred D-1 program offers, including Penn State and Pitt from his home state. Welcome to UConn, son.

Granted, none of these guys are "4-star" guys, technically. But they are all 3-star guys with accolades (i.e., being ranked in their state's top# recruits) and / or were coveted by many football programs. I could go on, including a couple of bigger in-state names and transfers, but I'll stop there. We're getting some luck, and I'm optimistic that the future is bright... :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The kid is a 4 star athlete out of Texas I doubt he was concerned about getting buried on the depth chart. For all we know Montgomery could have reached out to him to switch his commitment.

Montgomery did... But it was after Stidham committed and rumors started about President being moved to WR. Texas QBs can be touchy about sudden competition :rolleyes: (I kid).

http://m.lubbockonline.com/sports-r...-23/chad-president-decommits-baylor#gsc.tab=0

>>After Stidham changed his commitment to Baylor, many speculated that President’s future for the Bears would be at wide receiver, which played a role in his decision. President played wide receiver at Temple as a sophomore. “Once I found out the Stidham kid committed to Baylor and how it all went down, that was a slap in the face,” President told the Temple Daily Telegram on Tuesday. “This kid picked Texas Tech but then he visited Baylor twice (in December). That just kind of happened. Baylor always told me I was their guy. (After Stidham committed) they didn’t reach out to me or anything. I thought that was sideways.<<

>>Multiple reports have said President could committ to Tulsa, where former Baylor offensive coordinator, Philip Montgomery, recently became the coach.“Right now I’d call them the favorite,” President told the Telegram. “Tulsa’s close enough (to home). Coach Montgomery called me a couple days ago and said, ‘If you come to Tulsa, you’ll be ahead of everyone else because you already know the offense.’ That’s an advantage. The only disadvantage would be (adjusting as a freshman to) the speed of the college game.”<<

Guess we'll see soon enough what position he plays and how well.

Reaction Score
I guess we can throw that ol' "run up the middle 3 times, punt, and hope to miraculously win 17-14" playbook out of the Burton Complex window.

Great post. Been saying this for years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Give Diaco some time. Also, by your logic. Penn State should probably throw in the towel!

I really appreciate the optimism (it's too scarce around here), but the only way I can see Diaco realistically recruiting a 4-star QB is if he miraculously turns our program around and jumps for a P5 school in the 2017/18 neighborhood. Which, depending on who you ask, may or may not be as likely as a flying pig being our next successful HC.

As for Penn State? I'm pretty sure Hackenberg (a consensus 4-star) has worked out pretty well for them. Wimbush flipping to ND hurt them but they have 2 4-star RBs (Barkley and Robinson) and 1 WR (Johnson) in their 2015 class so far. That's a good amount of talent to bring in skill position-wise. We're not bringing in those kinds of prospects, and I don't know if we ever will as a program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom