Tulsa gets 4* QB Commit | The Boneyard

Tulsa gets 4* QB Commit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think Montgomery's recruiting mindset is to bring in as much 2 * recruits and hope to win games. Just watch, these new coaches in our conference will recruit some talent, and us well, let's continue to get excited about 2 * recruits.

Schools like Tulsa actually have legitimate shots at 4-star players. Look where they're mainly recruiting from: Texas, Oklahoma, and a few guys from Arkansas. The pickings are much slimmer in our footprint, meaning our margin for error in program perception amongst recruits is non-existent. So as long as the team keeps losing and the media keeps treating us like the butt of the joke, we have no choice but to cross our fingers that our 2-star recruits are 2-stars by virtue of not being scouted rather than being unskilled.

Reaction Score
Schools like Tulsa actually have legitimate shots at 4-star players. Look where they're mainly recruiting from: Texas, Oklahoma, and a few guys from Arkansas. The pickings are much slimmer in our footprint, meaning our margin for error in program perception amongst recruits is non-existent. So as long as the team keeps losing and the media keeps treating us like the butt of the joke, we have no choice but to cross our fingers that our 2-star recruits are 2-stars by virtue of not being scouted rather than being unskilled.

I hear ya, but at the same time look at where we mainly recruit from: NJ, PA, FL, and CT ( CT has about 2 or 3 four star players a year ). I don't think our foot print is that much slimmer than Tulsa.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I guess we can throw that ol' "run up the middle 3 times, punt, and hope to miraculously win 17-14" playbook out of the Burton Complex window.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I hear ya, but at the same time look at where we mainly recruit from: NJ, PA, FL, and CT ( CT has about 2 or 3 four star players a year ). I don't think our foot print is that much slimmer than Tulsa.

The talent pool in TX/OK >>>> Mid-Atlantic talent pool. FL is a potential gold mine for us - I know next to nothing about the geography of HS football down there but I bet there are several regions of the state where there are very solid kids without media coverage. But the sheer volume comparison is pretty jarring:

TX/OK kids in the ESPN 300: 48
NJ/PA/CT: 14

I'm generalizing a bit, but since there are just more highly rated kids out there, the quality of the kids that the UT/OK/A&M et. al pass up and leave for the Houstons and Tulsas of the world is more or less better than what we end up with.

Reaction Score
I don't think Montgomery's recruiting mindset is to bring in as much 2 * recruits and hope to win games. Just watch, these new coaches in our conference will recruit some talent, and us well, let's continue to get excited about 2 * recruits.
Many*

Reaction Score
This is interesting, "President is a consensus four-star prospect and is rated as the No. 240 player nationally, the No. 29 wide receiver in the country, and the No. 35 player in the state of Texas, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Despite the classification as a wide receiver or an athlete, President will play quarterback at Tulsa."

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The talent pool in TX/OK >>>> Mid-Atlantic talent pool. FL is a potential gold mine for us - I know next to nothing about the geography of HS football down there but I bet there are several regions of the state where there are very solid kids without media coverage. But the sheer volume comparison is pretty jarring:

TX/OK kids in the ESPN 300: 48
NJ/PA/CT: 14

I'm generalizing a bit, but since there are just more highly rated kids out there, the quality of the kids that the UT/OK/A&M et. al pass up and leave for the Houstons and Tulsas of the world is more or less better than what we end up with.

What a misleading stat you've provided us! Comical. But as you've said, you're just "generalizing a bit." Oklahoma has provided only 5 of the top 300. It's like lumping CT with FL and providing a large number; it's not really relevant. Also, of the 5 recruits from OK, only 2 of them are in the top 100. CT has 2 of the top 111 players, to put that in perspective.

Kudos to Tulsa for getting a 4-star QB. I'm sure he'll work out fine for them and help them on their way. But the idea that Tulsa has some intrinsic advantage at recruiting over UConn simply because they are the 9th best option in the Texas / Oklahoma area is ridiculous...

(Texas, Texas AM, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and probably bowl-winning Rice, not to mention all the other major teams from all around the country that commit large resources to recruiting TX)

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What a misleading stat you've provided us! Comical. But as you've said, you're just "generalizing a bit." Oklahoma has provided only 5 of the top 300. It's like lumping CT with FL and providing a large number; it's not really relevant. Also, of the 5 recruits from OK, only 2 of them are in the top 100. CT has 2 of the top 111 players, to put that in perspective.

Kudos to Tulsa for getting a 4-star QB. I'm sure he'll work out fine for them and help them on their way. But the idea that Tulsa has some intrinsic advantage at recruiting over UConn simply because they are the 9th best option in the Texas / Oklahoma area is ridiculous...

(Texas, Texas AM, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and probably bowl-winning Rice, not to mention all the other major teams from all around the country that commit large resources to recruiting TX)

Let me know next time we haul in a 4-star QB. I'll be very happy if I'm proven wrong.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well you got me...but if this is what four stars looks like in a UCONN uniform all I can say is "yikes".

That's what a 4-star QB looks like on ANY team that doesn't have any 4-star OL's. Tulsa may find that fact out very soon. So now you realize what position we should REALLY be recruiting extensively, right? ;)

Reaction Score
Lorenzen was a hell of an athlete and seemed to throw much better before he did whatever he did to his hand. Good poise and leadership too.

Whitmer definitely had skills, but he could never seem to learn to see and read the field.

Way to much credibility given to the star system.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lorenzen was a hell of an athlete and seemed to throw much better before he did whatever he did to his hand. Good poise and leadership too.

Whitmer definitely had skills, but he could never seem to learn to see and read the field.

Way to much credibility given to the star system.

The star system simply is a rough measure of "probability". There are always going to be the Dwayne Difton or Jarrell Miller 4-star players that don't seem to pan out into the high-impact players that we want them to be. But on the other hand, if you look at the most successful teams in football, they are not playing with a bunch of 2-star kids. They're just not. So while the star rating system isn't a guarantee, the star system still really really matters...

Reaction Score
The star system simply is a rough measure of "probability". There are always going to be the Dwayne Difton or Jarrell Miller 4-star players that don't seem to pan out into the high-impact players that we want them to be. But on the other hand, if you look at the most successful teams in football, they are not playing with a bunch of 2-star kids. They're just not. So while the star rating system isn't a guarantee, the star system still really really matters...

The star system works off what the top programs do, not the other way around. If Nick Saban offered me a scholarship to play football the recruiting sites would award me stars.

The top 20 programs recruit the best talent because they assess well (otherwise they would not be successful) and because kids want to go to those successful programs. After that it all gets very subjective and debating whether a 50th ranked class is better than an 80th ranked class or a two star recruit is better than a three is meaningless.

Edsall recruited very well. Top 20 talent? No. But, the recruiting sites couldn't even comprehend the number of future NFL performers he was bringing in because he was in Connecticut.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Zach Frazer was a 4-star out of high school too. http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Frazer-25369?Institution=19462

@UConnDan97 hit the nail on the head. Without other 4-star talent around him, there is only so much President can do. That said, I do expect Montgomery to improve the talent base at Tulsa within a 2-3 years but they might not necessarily be 4-star recruits.

Reaction Score
I think coaching is more important. Urban Myer won big at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. Same for Brian Kelly. Those guys weren't recruiting the same players at Bowling Green and Central Michigan, but they were winning big in that conference. Mississippi State won big this year and I don't think their roster is filled with 4-5 star kids. Chip Kelly had dominant offenses at New Hampshire and and Oregon.

Reaction Score
I think coaching is more important. Urban Myer won big at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. Same for Brian Kelly. Those guys weren't recruiting the same players at Bowling Green and Central Michigan, but they were winning big in that conference. Mississippi State won big this year and I don't think their roster is filled with 4-5 star kids. Chip Kelly had dominant offenses at New Hampshire and and Oregon.

Could not agree more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The star system works off what the top programs do, not the other way around. If Nick Saban offered me a scholarship to play football the recruiting sites would award me stars.

The top 20 programs recruit the best talent because they assess well (otherwise they would not be successful) and because kids want to go to those successful programs. After that it all gets very subjective and debating whether a 50th ranked class is better than an 80th ranked class or a two star recruit is better than a three is meaningless.

Edsall recruited very well. Top 20 talent? No. But, the recruiting sites couldn't even comprehend the number of future NFL performers he was bringing in because he was in Connecticut.

I understand how the system works. And everything that you've said still points to the fact that the most likely successful kids are also the kids with the highest star ratings. It doesn't mean that a 2-star kid can't be successful. It doesn't mean that a 4-star kid must be successful. But it means that the probability of a 4-star kid being successful is much higher.

So in other words, the star system STILL matters...

Dooley

Reaction Score

Agreed. Look no further than some of Randy Edsall's teams. 2009 lost 5 games by a combined 15 points. 2010 went to the Fiesta. I think you could count the number of 4-star guys on one hand.

Give me a team of 2 and 3 star guys that want to work hard, study hard, practice hard, and play hard and I'll be happy. That 2009 team will probably always hold the top spot on my "favorite team" mantle because they never quit and left EVERYTHING out on the field.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Agreed. Look no further than some of Randy Edsall's teams. 2009 lost 5 games by a combined 15 points. 2010 went to the Fiesta. I think you could count the number of 4-star guys on one hand.

Give me a team of 2 and 3 star guys that want to work hard, study hard, practice hard, and play hard and I'll be happy. That 2009 team will probably always hold the top spot on my "favorite team" mantle because they never quit and left EVERYTHING out on the field.

I loved those teams and those guys, too. Don't get me wrong. And more than a couple of them went on to play on Sundays.

But let's not make the mistake of equating those teams with the top teams in the SEC or PAC12. If those UConn teams played in the SEC, they would not have finished 8-4. Maybe 6-6? We lost a lot of close games that year, but we also won a few close games as well (WVU, Pitt, USF).

Our 2-star kids were properly coached. Many were redshirted early to build strength and maturity. And we enjoyed a fair amount of success. But we weren't a top15 school. Hell, we were barely a top25 school in our best years. And although we have had some really nice wins to brag about (South Carolina, Notre Dame, WVU, etc.), our squads had performed in the #25 - #50 bucket. And that's mainly because we didn't have a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids littering the field in every position like the top10 teams did, and still do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom