Tulsa Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Game Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
More on Collier. Her kind of movements off the ball combined with her footwork and variety of shots inside make her quite unique in either the women's or men's game. People sometimes use the word sneaky for her, or say she's a ball magnet. That's not quite it. It's all about quickness, consistency and precision. It's about knowing the spots on the floor where you are most efficient and moving to those spots. I've said before, all great scorers think they can score from any spot on the floor, and for the great scorers this may be true. But knowing which spots give you the highest percentage takes a while for even the best to reckon. She figured that stuff out early. She also has nice long arms and reads the ball off the rim as good as anyone in WCBB. As she ages she is invariably going to increase the number of her high efficiency spots on the floor. Scary.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
32 assists on 39 hoops. Very nice! Saniya led with 7, followed by Gabby and Crystal with 6 each.
This team continues to surge towards the NCAA all-time season assist record of 850, set by the 2013-14 Huskies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Collier really interests me. Her movements off the pick and roll are so precise and efficient. She moves quickly to and or from an exact spot to a precise spot to receive the pass. Crystal Dangerfield has started realize that although she may not see her move or she may not see her in space, she will be on those spots. Smart, efficient, very effective and consistent.
I'm looking forward to Stockton-to-Malone-esque play for the next two years.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kara just said when Geno was mad at the half time in the old days he would yell and scream for a while then walk out with plenty of time left. He'd expect the team to discuss his points or whatever they had to say to each other, then come back in the finalize his points. The master.

Reaction Score
I was not able to watch the game, so I have to ask: Some have speculated in this thread that Gabby was in the doghouse. But here are her stats from the box score:

10 points ( on 80% shooting), 6 rebounds, 6 assists, zero turnovers, 2 blocks and 6 steals. In 17 minutes played. Her only flaw was the 2-5 free throws...

So what could she have done to be in the doghouse???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The point that Geno is trying to make to Gabby is that she is a great player and a game changer, and he expects her to play that way all the time. The game vs SC is clearly on his mind, and beyond that the NCAA tournament. The Huskies can not afford a slow start on Feb 13. They have to come out ready to give 100% from the opening tip until the last whistle blows.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to get very concerned about Gabby. It appears something is going on in her head that shouldn't be. She is having the kind of season that 99% of all athletes can only dream of, getting accolades from all sides which I'm sure includes even the coaching staff.
But for the last few weeks she has not seemed too happy with herself at all. I first noticed it the night Geno took her "aside" on the floor during free throws and apparently gave her a pep talk. Because she had missed a couple of free throws! And since then her free throws have gotten worse and she seems get upset when even when the littlest thing about her game goes wrong.
And this is at a time when she should be brimming with confidence and looking forward eagerly to do even better in the next game. It's not like she sometimes disappoints. Her "bad' games are terrific! Obviously nothing physically is wrong with her, but something is just not right in her mind..

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to get very concerned about Gabby. It appears something is going on in her head that shouldn't be. She is having the kind of season that 99% of all athletes can only dream of, getting accolades from all sides which I'm sure includes even the coaching staff.
But for the last few weeks she has not seemed too happy with herself at all. I first noticed it the night Geno took her "aside" on the floor during free throws and apparently gave her a pep talk. Because she had missed a couple of free throws! And since then her free throws have gotten worse and she seems get upset when even when the littlest thing about her game goes wrong.
And this is at a time when she should be brimming with confidence and looking forward eagerly to do even better in the next game. It's not like she sometimes disappoints. Her "bad' games are terrific! Obviously nothing physically is wrong with her, but something is just not right in her mind..

She's not hitting shots other than around the basket and in this game she clunked ft's. If I recall he pulled her aside a few games ago because of her ft shooting. And after she clunked two ft's and was 1 0f 4 - he may have noticed similar.

Reaction Score
I was not able to watch the game, so I have to ask: Some have speculated in this thread that Gabby was in the doghouse. But here are her stats from the box score:

10 points ( on 80% shooting), 6 rebounds, 6 assists, zero turnovers, 2 blocks and 6 steals. In 17 minutes played. Her only flaw was the 2-5 free throws...

So what could she have done to be in the doghouse???

95% of those numbers came in the 2nd half after she was benched in the 1st half.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Gabby was smiling after the game.

What Gabby is doing is called "owning it." She is already going into "get 'em next time" mode. I like this. Not pouting, but doubling down on her responsibilities.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Gabby's biggest problem is she is being too hard on herself. Let what's past pass and move on to the next play. Tough for young players.

Reaction Score
Gabby's biggest problem is she is being too hard on herself. Let what's past pass and move on to the next play. Tough for young players.
If that's Gabby's problem then virtually every UCONN player has the same problem...IMO, you don't get to this level without having incredibly high expectations for your play and teamsmanship(not sure thats a word)...the difference with some players is how they respond to personal disappointment ...my guess is that the collective positive attitude of this team will make it easy for Gabby to put this game behind her...Las vegas has her at 3:1 to win the next games badass award

Reaction Score

Lou is usually one of the best at this but even today you could really see the frustration mounting in her face too....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think what bothered Geno the most was the team had a Horrible 2nd half against Temple and then comes out flat against Tulsa in the 1st half today. Doesn't want team to establish bad habits. Got to play to UConn's standards, regardless if you're hitting your shots. Find another way to contribute. It was good to see Kayla get some 1st half play and I thought she played well. Dangerfield had an okay game, but wish when bringing the ball up the court, that she would look more to pass to players streaking up the court. She tends to dribble up the court to set up half court offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom