Tulane post-game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane post-game

Reaction Score
That was a pretty perfunctory handshake from Geno with the Tulane coach after the game. He must be getting tired of the cheap shots his players are taking.

I noticed that...........he usually has a brief conversation with fellow AAC coaches in the line but I din't think he even looked her in the eye

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How many times in history has one player outscored an entire team, Like Walker just did? bet it is not many!
Not sure "in history" but

Walker, whose 34 points were a career high, is the first UConn player in the past 20 seasons to outscore her opponent, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

According to STATS, she is the first Division I player -- male or female -- to outscore the entire opposing team in a conference game since Cincinnati's Steve Logan outscored Southern Miss 41-37 on Feb. 15, 2002.

UConn vs. Tulane - Game Recap - January 16, 2019 - ESPN

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I noticed that......he usually has a brief conversation with fellow AAC coaches in the line but I din't think he even looked her in the eye
It seemed during the game he had a few "looks" down at the Tulane bench. At one point he just sat down, I think to prevent himself from walking down there. Didn't seem to happy with them.

Reaction Score
Whoa there sparky. I'm hopeful, but long-term consistency is the test.
Absolutely agree! One great game doesn’t mean she’s there yet. But could be leaning in that direction.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Obviously Megan megan megan megan megan.

I was surprised how chipper Geno was post-game. Other than MW and defense, didnt seem like a lot was great. CW and Pheesa had among their worst games I've seen. But if he's happy ....

If Meghan has truly turned the commitment/intensity corner that is huge, huge, huge. I'd be more than chipper.

Reaction Score
You make it sounds like she missed a lot of 3. She was 2 for 5 which is 40%.
You can almost call Lou's shots. When she moves off of the dribble, she often is drifting side to side and misses. When set or moving forward, she sets her right foot, goes straight up and is gold.

Reaction Score
Toward the end of that game, she (Megan) had a nice "weight lifted off of shoulders" look on her face. The sort you get after passing some challenge (a school test, a job interview, whatever) with flying colors.

I hope to see it more often.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well Pheesa did end up with 14 pts on 6-9 shooting and 10 rebs, so maybe not so bad. She just *seemed* not herself.
I was confused about Pheesa's stats on the Post Game show. They were discussing her double-double but on their graphic, it showed only 9 rebounds.
20190117_093208.jpg
20190117_093208.jpg

Reaction Score
Toward the end of that game, she (Megan) had a nice "weight lifted off of shoulders" look on her face. The sort you get after passing some challenge (a school test, a job interview, whatever) with flying colors.

I hope to see it more often.
Like David Price.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was confused about Pheesa's stats on the Post Game show. They were discussing her double-double but on their graphic, it showed only 9 rebounds. View attachment 38367 View attachment 38367
Double -double on graphic was minutes-points? Box score on UConn site shows 3O and 7D for a total of 10 rebounds. So I guess it was a triple double?

Reaction Score
Great defensive game. Better movement in the half court offense. It looks to me like the shooting woes may be getting into their heads just a little bit.

Reaction Score
I’ve been looking forward to this game since 2014, when I lived in Chesterfield, VA. That’s when I first watched a talented freshman at Monacan HS take over a game, as she did again tonight for UConn.

The absolute best thing about Megan’s game tonight was the sight of that big beautiful smile. I hope to see that smile time and time again over the next few years.
You are right....the smile is the measure. She hasn't done much of that in 1.5 years at UCONN. She was working hard, and shooting straight. And she may be the key to the season. Williams will have her moments....we saw that against ND. But she is in a slump at the moment. In fact, the team's outside shooting asset has gone to seed. Everyone ( except Megan ) was throwing up bricks. And at one point, three players each went 0-2 at the foul line. That is not like any UCONN team I have ever seen, and can cause a team to lose championships. However, if Megan stays on her present course, we are all going to be pleased and relieved.

I dread the game on sunday. Temple has lost 6 in a row and is one of the worst teams in the conference. How can anyone be worse than Cincinnati, or SMU?

I am hoping the starters only play until each has hit a three. Of course, that could take the full 40 minutes, if the Tulane game is any indication.

My fantasy is to let the bench start and play 30 minutes each.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You are right....the smile is the measure. She hasn't done much of that in 1.5 years at UCONN. She was working hard, and shooting straight. And she may be the key to the season. Williams will have her moments....we saw that against ND. But she is in a slump at the moment. In fact, the team's outside shooting asset has gone to seed. Everyone ( except Megan ) was throwing up bricks. And at one point, three players each went 0-2 at the foul line. That is not like any UCONN team I have ever seen, and can cause a team to lose championships. However, if Megan stays on her present course, we are all going to be pleased and relieved.

I dread the game on sunday. Temple has lost 6 in a row and is one of the worst teams in the conference. How can anyone be worse than Cincinnati, or SMU?

I am hoping the starters only play until each has hit a three. Of course, that could take the full 40 minutes, if the Tulane game is any indication.

My fantasy is to let the bench start and play 30 minutes each.
Your fantasy is NOT going to happen, Geno will play the starters a minimum of 20 minutes. He may insert a bench player or two during the first and second quarter. But if the starting 5 are not in sync with each other he may play them longer then usual.

Reaction Score

Cinci almost beat the conference #2 team on the road. Temple is much much worse.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Molly plays 14 minutes and doesn't take a shot.

Reaction Score
Things that haven't been mentioned:

1. ONO, five rebounds in 8 minutes. Other than her foul shooting, she is trying to make the most of her limited time.

2. Geno has seemingly accepted that this isn't a great shooting team (in comparison to some of his others) by really cranking up the defensive pressure. They smothered Tulane.

3. Interesting that Phee added a rehearsal stroke to her foul shot routine. I think it will help her long-term. Speaking of Phee, teams are smothering her when she is driving in the lane. She has to get her head up and kick it out. She has before but the ball pressure on her in the lane has increased.

4. I guess I am in the minority. I didn't like Crystal's emotional outburst. Tulane was doing their fair share of cheap defensive moves but nothing like ND. I wish Geno would have pulled her for a bit and remind her that he needed her to maintain her composure.

5. You seemingly only see the full court pressure against lower level teams. I don't think they pressed at all against Baylor or ND.

6. UCONN has been lethal in recent years hitting the three out of transition. I think it was Geno who said that it is hard to get an open three look out of the half court offense.

7. Lower scoring games may be the norm until the team comes out of their "shooting" slump.

8. I can't believe a foul was not called when Lou was hip-checked into the baseline basket support.

9. Maybe I haven't noticed but Molly is become a vicious on-the ball defender. Second straight game that she provided useful minutes off the bench. Yea Molly.

10. It is still a little weird watching the team's 6' 3 All-American forward running the point.
I wonder if they are really in a shooting slump or their minds are just cluttered with the increased things to focus on in defense. I feel like once the increased pressure defense gets fully implemented I bet the shooting will come back. Clear minds lead to good shooting in my experience.

Reaction Score
Watched the game last night. Concerning the bush-league play; chippiness is one thing, but close-fisted jabs in the ribs is another thing. There were some of these which I thought should be a concern to some officials. Not just those on the court. The coach seemed to allow this behavior. Player #1 was an example.

Reaction Score
Obviously Megan megan megan megan megan.

I was surprised how chipper Geno was post-game. Other than MW and defense, didnt seem like a lot was great. CW and Pheesa had among their worst games I've seen. But if he's happy ....
Napheesa hasn't been Naphessa in a few games. This was a rugged game. Geno has tried ever other tactic to shake up 8 players this is just a new approach. However, Megan Walkers "coming out" game was seriously good news all around. If he can kick the tires of CW and get her back in to high gear the remainder of the season could look awfully bright. Once again Molly/Irwin while not playing at KLS level didn't screw up (much) either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom