Tulane post-game | The Boneyard

Tulane post-game

Reaction Score
Obviously Megan megan megan megan megan.

I was surprised how chipper Geno was post-game. Other than MW and defense, didnt seem like a lot was great. CW and Pheesa had among their worst games I've seen. But if he's happy ....

Reaction Score
1547694627596.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I was surprised how chipper Geno was post-game. Other than MW and defense, didnt seem like a lot was great. CW and Pheesa had among their worst games I've seen. But if he's happy ....
It's pretty clear he has dialed his expectations WAY back for this group.

Reaction Score

Chipper is an understatement.....he just watched Megan come out of the chrysalis and he knows he has a new team now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been looking forward to this game since 2014, when I lived in Chesterfield, VA. That’s when I first watched a talented freshman at Monacan HS take over a game, as she did again tonight for UConn.

The absolute best thing about Megan’s game tonight was the sight of that big beautiful smile. I hope to see that smile time and time again over the next few years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Next 2 years will be Megan's time ....and yes her smile is so beautiful.
There were times over the past two years when I wondered if Megan had forgotten how to smile. :)

Reaction Score
What is wrong with Lou missing so many three point shots and open 2 pt shots in Tulane game?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What is wrong with Lou missing so many three point shots and open 2 pt shots in Tulane game?
No one is going to complain about KLS. They reserve that for CW and Collier. What is with the team missing so many free throws?

Reaction Score

There is a vast difference between playing well and shooting well. I thought they played well tonight while not shooting that well.

Reaction Score
There is a vast difference between playing well and shooting well. I thought they played well tonight while not shooting that well.

18 TOs, lotsa fouls, CWs worst game?, and like I said Pheesa seemed off
Didnt think CD played particularly well either

like I said, Geno was happier than I expected, but I'll take it

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
18 TOs, lotsa fouls, CWs worst game?, and like I said Pheesa seemed off
Didnt think CD played particularly well either

like I said, Geno was happier than I expected, but I'll take it

In a game that was that chippy I don't think he's going to sweat the turnovers that much. Pheesa was in quick foul trouble. And as for CW - A freshman not playing well? Par for the course. I think Geno was elated because he suspects the "Light has come on" for Meg. That's a LOT to be happy about.

Reaction Score
Agree on the assessment that playing well and shooting well are two entirely different things. The effort, particularly on the defensive end, was there all night. Shooting is very mental. I'm in the bay area and have watched Klay Thompson, one of the best shooters in the NBA, struggle for weeks. He pouted, claimed he wasn't in a slump, and then would go 2 for 14. At the start of the new year, when he finally had a good shooting night (and he has been very good since then), you can see him talking to his shooting hand, like it was the hand's fault. Bottom line, shooting slumps can happen to anyone. If you have great effort, you still win by 42 despite poor shooting.
Looking down the road though, U Conn needs to get their mojo back offensively. It seems apparent that teams will collapse down on Pheesa, guard Lou all over the court, and make everyone else on the floor beat them from the outside. Tonight Megan was on fire but everyone needs to be confident to keep defenses honest.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How many times in history has one player outscored an entire team, Like Walker just did? bet it is not many!
According to STATS, Walker is the first Division I player — male or female — to outscore the entire opposing team in a conference game since Cincinnati's Steve Logan outscored Southern Miss 41-37 on Feb. 15, 2002.

Reaction Score
How many times in history has one player outscored an entire team, Like Walker just did? bet it is not many!

Since 2000-01 for UConn WBB there have been two players who have equaled an opponent's score but none that have outscored them.

2017-18 Azure Stevens scored 21 in 28 mins vs Cincinnati. Final score 75-21 (box score)
2014-15 Breanna Stewart scored 26 in 26 mins vs Houston. Final score 85-26 (box score)

Other Notables:

2016-17 Katie Lou Samuelson scored 40 in 28 mins vs USF. Final score 100-44 (box score)
2011-12 Tiffany Hayes scored 30 in 30 mins vs Buffalo. Final score 90-34 (box score)
2010-11 Tiffany Hayes scored 32 in 26 mins vs Holy Cross. Final score 117-37 (box score)
2007-08 Maya Moore scored 31 in 19 mins vs Holy Cross. Final score 91-36

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Things that haven't been mentioned:

1. ONO, five rebounds in 8 minutes. Other than her foul shooting, she is trying to make the most of her limited time.

2. Geno has seemingly accepted that this isn't a great shooting team (in comparison to some of his others) by really cranking up the defensive pressure. They smothered Tulane.

3. Interesting that Phee added a rehearsal stroke to her foul shot routine. I think it will help her long-term. Speaking of Phee, teams are smothering her when she is driving in the lane. She has to get her head up and kick it out. She has before but the ball pressure on her in the lane has increased.

4. I guess I am in the minority. I didn't like Crystal's emotional outburst. Tulane was doing their fair share of cheap defensive moves but nothing like ND. I wish Geno would have pulled her for a bit and remind her that he needed her to maintain her composure.

5. You seemingly only see the full court pressure against lower level teams. I don't think they pressed at all against Baylor or ND.

6. UCONN has been lethal in recent years hitting the three out of transition. I think it was Geno who said that it is hard to get an open three look out of the half court offense.

7. Lower scoring games may be the norm until the team comes out of their "shooting" slump.

8. I can't believe a foul was not called when Lou was hip-checked into the baseline basket support.

9. Maybe I haven't noticed but Molly is become a vicious on-the ball defender. Second straight game that she provided useful minutes off the bench. Yea Molly.

10. It is still a little weird watching the team's 6' 3 All-American forward running the point.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
where is the "Post-Game" press conference VIDEO?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom