Tulane is...good??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane is...good???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My benchmark is..."Are they better than Duke?"...

Duke, who has never beaten FSU, is the benchmark for bottom dwellers in the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is about football programs. They suck. They will continue to suck. They draw about as many fans as Southington High School. They are totally and absolutely irrelevant in their own city never mind the rest of the country.

Oh they can just decide to be good. It's that easy. That's why plenty of schools trying can't - i.e. Connecticut for example.

I was going to write something, but I'm just gonna adopt this instead.

Reaction Score
This is about football programs. They suck. They will continue to suck. They draw about as many fans as Southington High School. They are totally and absolutely irrelevant in their own city never mind the rest of the country.

Oh they can just decide to be good. It's that easy. That's why plenty of schools trying can't - i.e. Connecticut for example.
Most schools lack name and financial resources
Tulane doesn't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Neither does Julliard....but they, like Tulane, don't field a football team.

But if the Juilliard wanted to play football, well, Rose Bowl inside of ten years.

Reaction Score
I watched the game last night. Nothing to get excited about, but if Tulane is going to be in the same conference as UConn next year I guess that it's good that they win.

Reaction Score
Heck...I now see that Maryland is favored by 6-5 over UConn....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
One of the things that shocked me about Tulane last night (besides the fact that I was watching) was the fact that they have a ridiculously good record in their own state against teams not named "LSU" (they are something like 54-7 against the rest: ULL, ULM, La Tech). Of course against LSU, they are something like 25-65. Still, they can safely claim the title of "second best team in Louisiana" for whatever that's worth...

(I know. That and $1.50 will get you a large coffee...)

Reaction Score
One of the things that shocked me about Tulane last night (besides the fact that I was watching) was the fact that they have a ridiculously good record in their own state against teams not named "LSU" (they are something like 54-7 against the rest: ULL, ULM, La Tech). Of course against LSU, they are something like 25-65. Still, they can safely claim the title of "second best team in Louisiana" for whatever that's worth...

(I know. That and $1.50 will get you a large coffee...)

Love ya man, but that's really reaching there.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Love ya man, but that's really reaching there.

Oh, it's not a reach. They are the second best team in Louisiana. Kinda like Central Connecticut is the second best team in Connecticut... ;)

Reaction Score
Memphis is a skank. We should not be in the same conference with that "school".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, it's not a reach. They are the second best team in Louisiana. Kinda like Central Connecticut is the second best team in Connecticut... ;)

Eh historically they have been. The other three have had more life lately, Tech seems to have a Holtz dumpster fire on their hands.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course, Tulane was in the SEC up until 1966 and was on the short list to be invited back when the SEC expanded to invite South Carolina.

When Tulane left, there was some support in the SEC for inviting Florida State and Memphis. (Florida State has been left at the alter so many times by the SEC...makes our dalliances with the ACC look mild.)

Reaction Score
Tulane is building a new on campus stadium, they have history, they have money, its a great school, and they will be getting a lot of play on ESPN like everyone else in the AAC. They are quite capable of rebuilding their football program, and it can be done quickly. If Boise State can be a national football power so can Tulane, so can Memphis and so can UCONN.

Reaction Score
So can USF, UCF, FIU, Houston, and on and on...easier said then done.

Boise, like FSU in the late 70s through the 80's, won a lot of games, upset big names, and fired the public imagination.

Whether you grab a spotted horse and stick a guy with a flaming spear on it or install an eyeball burning blue field....it does not hurt to have an immediately recognizable brand symbol.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tulane is building a new on campus stadium, they have history, they have money, its a great school, and they will be getting a lot of play on ESPN like everyone else in the AAC. They are quite capable of rebuilding their football program, and it can be done quickly. If Boise State can be a national football power so can Tulane, so can Memphis and so can UCONN.
Boise can get all the academic casualties from Cali that Pac12 schools can't allow. There are no academic casualties in the south that can't find a way into an SEC school.

Reaction Score

Boise, like FSU in the late 70s through the 80's, won a lot of games, upset big names, and fired the public imagination.

Whether you grab a spotted horse and stick a guy with a flaming spear on it or install an eyeball burning blue field....it does not hurt to have an immediately recognizable brand symbol.
You know very well that a lot of it comes down to coaches and resources. Oklahoma State have become pros at enticing recruits.

Reaction Score

To compare the above commuter schools or even your school to a school with the history and academic success of Tulane is a joke.
Even Fla State is a destination for kids that can't get into U of F.

The real question is what does Tulane want.
I think they can easliy be a Vandy if they choose to be.

Reaction Score
Yeah...Tulane is a sleeping giant with the potential of a Brown or Cornell.

If they put their mind to it, they would be a dominant force in college football (maybe Division II).

Reaction Score
Yeah...Tulane is a sleeping giant with the potential of a Brown or Cornell.

If they put their mind to it, they would be a dominant force in college football (maybe Division II).

As opposed to hoping to someday be a Towson?

TCU endowment $1.2b; undergrads 8k
Baylor endowment $1.0b; undergrads 12.6k
Tulane endowment $1.0b; undergrads 8.3k

UConn endowment $.3b; undergrads 17.8k main campus

Not sure seeing all the Tulane can't stuff. Maybe they can't/won't but TCU got it done, Baylor maybe not as good an example.

TCU not rated top 25 from 1960 to 1999. Hire Franchione in 1998 and then current coach in 2000 and have 9 top 25 finishes since then. Seems like it can be done.

Tulane coach is Curtis Johnson, local kid made good, NFL and college coaching experience, solid Ollie type guy (from what I read, who really know). If he recruits locally (get Munchie type local player rather than going to Cincinnati) who says can't have solid team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tulane can become something solid. It is in fact quite sad that they let a once very quality football program sink as far as it did. Not long ago (the year Skip brought us to the 1-AA playoffs) Tulane had an undefeated season and finished something like #8 in the final poll.

Their biggest obstacle (and this is permanent) is that once they left the SEC, they gave the entire state (as a fan base) to LSU. It took quite a few years (until the early 1980's) but their fan base steadily deteriorated while LSU's grew. At best they may be able to hope for a Boise St situation where they have a stadium that consistently has ~ 32k-34k dedicated fans.

Reaction Score
Tulane will never be more than a mid tier team...they can shoot for that.

In the last 43 years since 1970, Tulane is 7-77-0 (won 8%) of their games with teams who were year end ranked AP or Coaches Polls.

Reaction Score
Tulane is the poor man's version of Duke football and the poor man's version of Vanderbilt in everything else.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We like to think we belonged with Pitt and Syracuse and West Virginia. (and Syracuse thought they belonged with Ohio State, Penn State and North Carolina) This attitude is pervasive on this Boneyard. And, I believe it has made this board suck. Maybe I'm poking a hole in your happy happy exceptionalism (like VPutin) ... but, we might be playing this level for a decade. Let's just collapse this board right now; because, there is no good way forward if you can't get optimistic approaching the second game. I am saying that Memphis and Tulane are moving forward with a positive underdog chip on their shoulder. We better change to something better fast.
We belong with Pitt and Cuse and even WVU, or any existing ACC school, a heck of a lot more than we belong with SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, Memphis. For one thing, there's geography. Texas, Memphis, Louisiana are farther west than any of the dozens of east coast schools, in addition to the North-South divide.

For another, there's the fact that the students are different profiles (in part due to geography). SMU and Tulane may be fine institutions but you're not going to get much overlap between UConn and those schools as far as students who are considering applying to both schools, or who know friends at those schools. UConn students have siblings or cousins or friends who go to BC, UVA, Cuse, Rutgers, Penn State. You won't find many who know people at SMU, whose mission and undergrad profile are very different and unique to Texas. We will not develop much of a connection with those schools even if an on-field rivalry were to develop.

Thirdly the research profile of UConn has much more in common with any of the ACC schools, even the private ones (Duke) than they do to any of the AAC schools except for Tulane and Temple and the directional Floridas. But ask a research scientist to compare a list of the AAC schools vs. ACC or BigTen, ask them if they were advising a UConn undergrad, where they would advise them to to to grad school. See which list wins out.

The AAC schools are our conference mates, but they are not our peer institutions. Am I looking down my nose at them? Fine, if that's what you want to call it. I'd rather associate with the likes of UVA, UNC, Wisconsin or Michigan if I have the chance, and don't ask me to pretend that's not my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom