Tulane is...good??? | The Boneyard

Tulane is...good???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Now before I get roasted for posting this, I should preface the thread by saying "sort of good". But hey, I just watched them comfortably handle La Tech, a team that was building their program up and was a good quality opponent for the last couple of years (albeit with Sonny Dykes at the helm and not Skip Holtz). The defensive front four for Tulane was ridiculously good! I couldn't believe what I was watching! (or the fact that I actually was watching a Tulane football game). If their offense didn't turn the ball over 4 times, they would have won by 30. As it was, they ended up winning by 9.

I'm as guilty as anyone else of making fun of our soon-to-be conference mates, but I was impressed. They even have a little star power going with Joe Montana in the crowd. We'll learn a lot more about them when they travel to Syracuse next week, but for now, I can say I'm pleasantly surprised. Okay, now rip away...

pj

Reaction Score
If we and they can become the top two teams in the AAC, they could be #16 for us to go to the B1G ... just dreaming!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You should have watched them last week when they got beaten to a bloody pulp by USA. I'll save half of you the trouble of figuring out who USA is - South Alabama.

Reaction Score
You should have watched them last week when they got beaten to a bloody pulp by USA. I'll save half of you the trouble of figuring out who USA is - South Alabama.

They lost by 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I never mocked Tulane. It's a great school, really the only one in the AAC besides UConn and SMU you'd want you kids to attend. They are in fertile recruiting territory, and have every opportunity to improve. Memphis was the worst addition in my view, just awful to be in a conference with them.

Reaction Score

I admit ...

I'm the Leader of the Band singing that we shouldn't be bitching about these new Programs in the American. My primary reason is I HATED the Pitt and Syracuse fans looking down their noses at us in 2003. Within years, we were beating them. In the case of the Cuse, we were overwhelmingly favorites.

Tulane has some history. A great year at the turn of the Millennium. They have a good DLine ... which includes two kids that were at LSU until recently. This doesn't take a decade to improve: One Coach and One big push. 3 years and they can be ... Rutgers.

Memphis? Dontchaknow that they drew 44,500 for DUKE. And they had an enthusiastic Press and excitement.

Frankly, I would trade OUR PP and OUR situation today for a Team with a chip on its shoulder. Be careful with this swath of disgust ... whaler11.

Reaction Score
Went to Tulane vs. Rutgers game last year and Tulane held there own. Lot of good talent here at high school level, looks like trying to build a TCU type speedy team on defense. New stadium is being built right outside the Tulane gym I go to, will be great to have on campus and in residential area for local fans. Really looks small, almost like there is not enough room inside for field. There will not be bad seat in the place and fans will be so close to the field that they can help towel off the players!;)
Tulane won't be the last "2014" AAC team to get its 1st victory in 2013 (2 wins and a 2 point loss!). Hopefully, UConn won't be either. Next 2 weeks Memphis has Mid Tenn and Ark. State; USF has Flor Int'l and Temple has Fordham - UConn loses to Maryland it has a shot at being the only "non winner" in September 2013 for the 2014 AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I admit ...

I'm the Leader of the Band singing that we shouldn't be bitching about these new Programs in the American. My primary reason is I HATED the Pitt and Syracuse fans looking down their noses at us in 2003. Within years, we were beating them. In the case of the Cuse, we were overwhelmingly favorites.

Tulane has some history. A great year at the turn of the Millennium. They have a good DLine ... which includes two kids that were at LSU until recently. This doesn't take a decade to improve: One Coach and One big push. 3 years and they can be ... Rutgers.

Memphis? Dontchaknow that they drew 44,500 for DUKE. And they had an enthusiastic Press and excitement.

Frankly, I would trade OUR PP and OUR situation today for a Team with a chip on its shoulder. Be careful with this swath of disgust ... whaler11.

Be careful with a swath of disgust for Memphis and Tulane football. Ok buddy. These programs suck and will forever suck. If you want to compare Tulane and Memphis to UConn knock yourself out - but they don't have anywhere near the potential. They are dog crap programs and that is probably never changing.

Reaction Score
Disgust is not the same as indifference. Right now that is how I feel. Five years from now, maybe I've grown to hate some of them out of competitive nature, but right now that simply does not exist. I knew all the coaches of the previous teams we played, can't say I do at the moment. I'm sure that will change, but this will take some getting used to, it's not disgust, speaking form me.

Reaction Score
Be careful with a swath of disgust for Memphis and Tulane football. Ok buddy. These programs suck and will forever suck. If you want to compare Tulane and Memphis to UConn knock yourself out - but they don't have anywhere near the potential. They are dog crap programs and that is probably never changing.

This is so wrong ... on so many levels.

We are sitting here with Dogcrap. Pasqualoni is stuck and We are stuck. It is going to take us quite a Program builder merely to get back to where Edsall almost had us to.

Memphis did have 44,237 attendance. We had announced 30,000 ... and most likely had several thousand less. And you are writing with a perpetual sneer.

We like to think we belonged with Pitt and Syracuse and West Virginia. (and Syracuse thought they belonged with Ohio State, Penn State and North Carolina) This attitude is pervasive on this Boneyard. And, I believe it has made this board suck. Maybe I'm poking a hole in your happy happy exceptionalism (like VPutin) ... but, we might be playing this level for a decade. Let's just collapse this board right now; because, there is no good way forward if you can't get optimistic approaching the second game. I am saying that Memphis and Tulane are moving forward with a positive underdog chip on their shoulder. We better change to something better fast.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is so wrong ... on so many levels.

We are sitting here with Dogcrap. Pasqualoni is stuck and We are stuck. It is going to take us quite a Program builder merely to get back to where Edsall almost had us to.

Memphis did have 44,237 attendance. We had announced 30,000 ... and most likely had several thousand less. And you are writing with a perpetual sneer.

We like to think we belonged with Pitt and Syracuse and West Virginia. (and Syracuse thought they belonged with Ohio State, Penn State and North Carolina) This attitude is pervasive on this Boneyard. And, I believe it has made this board suck. Maybe I'm poking a hole in your happy happy exceptionalism (like VPutin) ... but, we might be playing this level for a decade. Let's just collapse this board right now; because, there is no good way forward if you can't get optimistic approaching the second game. I am saying that Memphis and Tulane are moving forward with a positive underdog chip on their shoulder. We better change to something better fast.

Good lord man. You've lost your mind on Memphis and Tulane. They have sucked forever for a reason. Nothing has change there.

You can't give me one reason it's going to change other than you say it's going to.

Tulsa, ECU, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU... Sure whatever they are fine - Memphis and Tulane are frigging jokes and an embarrassment to be associated with.

pj

Reaction Score
Good lord man. You've lost your mind on Memphis and Tulane. They have sucked forever for a reason. Nothing has change there.

You can't give me one reason it's going to change other than you say it's going to.

Two things have changed:
- The money in college football has exploded, and its importance to university presidents has grown.
- These schools are now in a more prestigious conference with greater TV exposure and well-known opponents.

They all see an opportunity to make progress and they are mostly located in fertile recruiting grounds with many avid football fans. Tulane was once a top football program, they gave it up, now they're bringing it back.

If UConn sleeps we could be in the bottom half of the conference.

Reaction Score
Were in a prestigious conference? What the heck are we worried about then?;) As depressing as it sometimes is, I'm done wringing my hands over this. Am I excited to be here? Nope! Am I going to stop watching/going to games because of it? Nope! Do I worry that our overall athletic program is going to suffer? Yep! Can I do anything about it? Nope. When the nopes outnumber the yeps three to one, I stop worrying.

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Two things have changed:
- The money in college football has exploded, and its importance to university presidents has grown.
- These schools are now in a more prestigious conference with greater TV exposure and well-known opponents.

They all see an opportunity to make progress and they are mostly located in fertile recruiting grounds with many avid football fans. Tulane was once a top football program, they gave it up, now they're bringing it back.

If UConn sleeps we could be in the bottom half of the conference.

This is almost the same exact league they were in 10 years ago. Instead of 15 million behind - Tulane is now 50 million behind.

Reaction Score
This is almost the same exact league they were in 10 years ago. Instead of 15 million behind - Tulane is now 50 million behind.

Yeah but, have you seen the new conference logo? It's big time!

Reaction Score
Any "smaller" program can excell for a few years if they hit the jackpot with the QB position and have a decent WR or two.

Marshall was one of the winningest programs of the time...with Leftwich and Pennington at QB and Randy Moss at WR.

Boise was a big winner with a couple of very good quarterbacks...

Duante Culpepper made UCF better then they are...

Pat White made WVU a very dangerous team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Any "smaller" program can excell for a few years if they hit the jackpot with the QB position and have a decent WR or two.

Marshall was one of the winningest programs of the time...with Leftwich and Pennington at QB and Randy Moss at WR.

Boise was a big winner with a couple of very good quarterbacks...

Duante Culpepper made UCF better then they are...

Pat White made WVU a very dangerous team.

You do know how Moss got to Marshall right? Tulane is going to start admitting a ton of Jucos? WVU is a smaller program?

Tulane was undefeated not that long ago - I think I'd go with that over trying to draw a parallel to Boise.

Reaction Score
WVU lost three bowl games in a row...along comes Pat White and they win four in a row (3 BCS) with Pat as QB...and have now lost 3 of the last four since he left....nuff said about how the QB affected WVU.

WVU before Pat White was not really lumped in with the football "haves" of the world....but they were elevated by four very good years.

Tulane went undefeated?...LOL. Yep they did. And only won three games the next year as they went back to their roots. They have had 13 losing seasons since that season and only one winning season

Ball State went 12-0 and that doesn't make them anything other than fodder for the Big Ten

Reaction Score
I watched Randy Moss on the FSU practice field in 1995....if Bowden hadn't kicked him out before he played a snap for testing positive and thus breaking probation, he would have been a terror in the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Moss was a freak.

But he was also nuts.

Had he been able to keep himself straight, he would have gone to Notre Dame. Had he managed to learn from his mistakes, he would have played for Florida State...thankfully, he found a place that did not care what the hell he did.

Reaction Score
For all the ignorant Tulane bashers.
They are AAU and have an endowment in excess of a billion dollars
They also have a long football history.
We would be a lock for the B1G with those metrics.
For a school with their resources success in athletics is a decision.
They have the ability to make that decision at any time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For all the ignorant Tulane bashers.
They are AAU and have an endowment in excess of a billion dollars
They also have a long football history.
We would be a lock for the B1G with those metrics.
For a school with their resources success in athletics is a decision.
They have the ability to make that decision at any time.

This is about football programs. They suck. They will continue to suck. They draw about as many fans as Southington High School. They are totally and absolutely irrelevant in their own city never mind the rest of the country.

Oh they can just decide to be good. It's that easy. That's why plenty of schools trying can't - i.e. Connecticut for example.

Reaction Score
And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle...etc., etc.

Tulane is a good school and a piss-poor football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom