Tulane game thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, we have to learn to get the ball to RP more in the second half. He is our best scorer. Need to see less SG, Dham and JA going one on one too much.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
No. At 12:34 he said "Theyre eatin steaks and I 'm eatin tossed salad."
Then he rambled on about how he's eatin tofu because he can't afford the salad.

Reaction Score
Enoch rebounds like a man...
Enoch's rebound % heading into the night was 13.0%. Brimah's is 13.6%, and Hamilton's is 15.7%. Facey far and away leads the team at 18.1%.

The biggest disappointment re: Enoch so far is that he's been a really bad rebounder. When he gets his hands on the ball it's absolutely his, but he has terrible instincts for cleaning the glass (so far).

Reaction Score
Enoch's rebound % heading into the night was 13.0%. Brimah's is 13.6%, and Hamilton's is 15.7%. Facey far and away leads the team at 18.1%.

The biggest disappointment re: Enoch so far is that he's been a really bad rebounder. When he gets his hands on the ball it's absolutely his, but he has terrible instincts for cleaning the glass (so far).
I still feel like the team has a better chance with him in there than Phil. Phil has regressed. He seldom challenges a shot, and he has rebounds sail over his head because he doesn't jump or is late to jump. Like Tyler he has gotten worse every year it seems. Enoch needs court time and it will help us later in the year and in the future if he could get minutes like tonight. Hopefully it doesn't come out of sheer necessity like last night.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Phil isn't a scorer and is an ok rebounder, maybe slightly below the national average. Yet his defensive instinct is great, and probably one of our best bigs in that regard outside AB.

I will always remember PN for his game against MSU in 2014, he scored maybe 4 points but his defense on Payne was incredible. Payne would pump fake and step into his shots in every which way and PN never bit and contested every shot perfectly. Nowadays he's probably our most mobile C with good feet on defense and a good knack for drawing a charge.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree it does feel like a win. A game they would have lost last year for sure, they battled through the crap thrown at them. Agree on DHam and I think right there you kind of answered where Rodney was. Too much DHam in the 2nd half and not enough Rodney. Once in a while you need to take it out of his hands, especially when others are playing better.
We are beating a dead horse at this point, but UConn was in total cruise control before the REFS, not Tulane, absolutely took us out of the game. It was as bad as I can remember. Yet, we still dodged the bullet, we regained composure, we made pressure free throws, we overcame our frontline fouling out, and still won the game by 7 after staying on the road for 5 days. How the hell is that not positive? Like Mau said, there is no doubt that last year's team would have found a way to lose this game. This win was a character builder. Even more important, we welcomed a third option who proved he can carry this team in crunch time and deliver a win. Think about that? Three options......DHam, Purvis, and lets welcome Mr. Gibbs. His second half was unbelievable. Sure, the second half was extremely frustrating, but I walked a way from that feeling better about this team, not worse. This team has legit options, this team is building confidence, and I still contend this team will be a force come March. Of course, the refs may have something to say about that.

Reaction Score
Watching it again...

"Moving screen" Facey's third foul he was set as well as most
Block on Hamilton was a goal tend
Enoch foul on the alley oop Lay in guy was barely touched let alone fouled
Fourth on Miller was clearly a charge not a block

And there were as many as four to five not called on our end. Normally I don't
Give much credence to refs screwed us but this game was unreal.

Reaction Score
This team has a lot of fight in them. Lets just hope that we can figure out life without AB and get pass those teams with a good to great inside game until AB returns. I hope that Enoch continues to get better with the additional minutes that he wil be getting.

Reaction Score
Watching it again...

"Moving screen" Facey's third foul he was set as well as most
Block on Hamilton was a goal tend
Enoch foul on the alley oop Lay in guy was barely touched let alone fouled
Fourth on Miller was clearly a charge not a block

And there were as many as four to five not called on our end. Normally I don't
Give much credence to refs screwed us but this game was unreal.
The block on Miller, his fourth, was the worst call of the night. Can't be more set than that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can someone ask Pete Gillen how the refs did such a great job if he was openly questioning half their calls?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Can someone ask Pete Gillen how the refs did such a great job if he was openly questioning half their calls?
Gillen was praising everything because he was happy to have a gig. Based on his performance, he doesn't get asked to broadcast many games. And is living on food stamps.

Reaction Score

Yeah he definitely can be too positive about everything I guess, but he's okay. There's so many more annoying people out there. I was really disappointed in Dawn Staley last night who was discussing the crowds reaction to all of the fouls called on Vandy while Ben Simmons had the ball and/or was going to the hoop. She said, after watching the replay on a very questionable call, "These people aren't happy but they need to know that he is getting fouled every time he goes to the basket, the refs are right" in so many words. Pitiful considering there were at least 4-5 at least phantom or questionable at best calls during the game on Simmons.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's just so many issues with this team I don't even want to list them all. But at the top is leadership, lack of killer instinct, and coaching.

Reaction Score
Yeah he definitely can be too positive about everything I guess, but he's okay. There's so many more annoying people out there. I was really disappointed in Dawn Staley last night who was discussing the crowds reaction to all of the fouls called on Vandy while Ben Simmons had the ball and/or was going to the hoop. She said, after watching the replay on a very questionable call, "These people aren't happy but they need to know that he is getting fouled every time he goes to the basket, the refs are right" in so many words. Pitiful considering there were at least 4-5 at least phantom or questionable at best calls during the game on Simmons.
Correction the female analyst, is former Tennessee player Kara Lawson.

Reaction Score
There's just so many issues with this team I don't even want to list them all. But at the top is leadership, lack of killer instinct, and coaching.
Hmmmmmm! Wish we had a coach who had actually won something!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While I'd obviously like him to clean the glass better, I'm not sure it's a disappointment from this perspective. We knew he was raw coming in, and hadn't been producing at a high level in high school until really late in the process. When I watch him, he really just doesn't know where to be yet, and you can see he is unsure of himself in that regard. That limits his aggressiveness.

And he hasn't gotten many minutes to develop this year either. I figured he'd be kind of a write off this year. Assuming the development he displayed in high school, I'm not worried.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's a process, just like every season. Probably even moreso this season with three of the top players on the team being brand new to the program.

Not seeing too many teams that don't have issues to work out.

I still like our chances of making this an interesting season.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
While I'd obviously like him to clean the glass better, I'm not sure it's a disappointment from this perspective. We knew he was raw coming in, and hadn't been producing at a high level in high school until really late in the process. When I watch him, he really just doesn't know where to be yet, and you can see he is unsure of himself in that regard. That limits his aggressiveness.

And he hasn't gotten many minutes to develop this year either. I figured he'd be kind of a write off this year. Assuming the development he displayed in high school, I'm not worried.
It didn't help that he rode the bench entirely in blowout wins this year. And got an average of 5 minutes a game in blowouts when Brimah was still around. If anyone remembers even Jeff Adrien was raw his freshman year (yes, he was better than Enoch and had a filthy team surrounding him), but Calhoun played him extensively in blowouts throughout the season. Of course that helps his development.

We're asking a kid who got no run earlier to just step up and be the guy. He's gonna go thru some valleys before hitting his peaks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It didn't help that he rode the bench entirely in blowout wins this year. And got an average of 5 minutes a game in blowouts when Brimah was still around. If anyone remembers even Jeff Adrien was raw his freshman year (yes, he was better than Enoch and had a filthy team surrounding him), but Calhoun played him extensively in blowouts throughout the season. Of course that helps his development.

I don't disagree, but I'd emphasize that JA was far, far ahead of Enoch coming in. In terms of rebounding and defense, JA was ready to go right out the gate. His offense took a while to develop into something good though. He grew up playing in some of the best leagues/AAU in Boston and surrounding areas.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I'd emphasize that JA was far, far ahead of Enoch coming in. In terms of rebounding and defense, JA was ready to go right out the gate. His offense took a while to develop into something good though. He grew up playing in some of the best leagues/AAU in Boston and surrounding areas.
Not to mention he battled Hilton Armstrong, Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, Stanley Robinson, or Hasheem Thabeet every day in practice for 4 years. That helps.

Reaction Score
The most important thing is that we still do not have any bad losses. That has to account for something with the committee. All they will see on this one is a road W. Without many more big games going forward we have to avoid bad losses at all costs. We laid down for 10 minutes, but at least we didn't give up for 40.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I still feel like the team has a better chance with him in there than Phil. Phil has regressed. He seldom challenges a shot, and he has rebounds sail over his head because he doesn't jump or is late to jump. Like Tyler he has gotten worse every year it seems. Enoch needs court time and it will help us later in the year and in the future if he could get minutes like tonight. Hopefully it doesn't come out of sheer necessity like last night.

He's done well challenging shots the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom