Tubby Smith out at Minnesota | The Boneyard

Tubby Smith out at Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
according to cbs. I'm kind of suprised by this one. I thought he did a good job considering the school.

Reaction Score
He's been on the hot seat the entire season. Started off like a Top 20 team but quickly went down into mediocrity. The win over Indiana helped his prospects for awhile but the 1st round loss in the B1G Tourney did him in.

Reaction Score
His cause would have been helped if Rubio had played for him. It's not a perfect way to treat a coach of his stature and accomplishments.

Reaction Score
His cause would have been helped if Rubio had played for him. It's not a perfect way to treat a coach of his stature and accomplishments.
Rubio...the guy who plays for the Timberwolves?

Reaction Score
If they do, I bet they go full force after Shaka Smart. He's from either Wisconsin or Minnesota with all sorts of ties to that region...

Too bad, Tubby was one of the good guys & highly respected!

Reaction Score
Based on what I've read in the Minneapolis papers, he doesn't have a strong recruiting class lined up. I also think the AD is looking at the prospect of losing one of the top guards in the country from a suburb just south of the city (Tyus Jones from Apple Valley)
All the big schools are after him.

Reaction Score
Based on what I've read in the Minneapolis papers, he doesn't have a strong recruiting class lined up. I also think the AD is looking at the prospect of losing one of the top guards in the country from a suburb just south of the city (Tyus Jones from Apple Valley)
All the big schools are after him.

Right. Nothing there.

Reaction Score
If they do, I bet they go full force after Shaka Smart. He's from either Wisconsin or Minnesota with all sorts of ties to that region...

Too bad, Tubby was one of the good guys & highly respected!

Comparatively speaking, U of M has very outdated facilities compared to other B1G schools. An ancient arena and no practice facility.

I would think it would make it hard to get a big name coach without some level of commitment from the school that they will make the needed investments.

Reaction Score
Comparatively speaking, U of M has very outdated facilities compared to other B1G schools. An ancient arena and no practice facility.

I would think it would make it hard to get a big name coach without some level of commitment from the school that they will make the needed investments.

I'm not familar with Minnesota's facilities, though I don't think that would be as big of an issue for him. He doesn't seem that kind of guy to get all caught up into that (ie Calamari), but who knows. A chance for Shaka to coach closer to home would be a big item for him.

I'm also thinking UCLA is going to push hard for Shaka, so that's probably why Minnesota is acting so quickly. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
The guy before Tubby (Dan Monson) went to the tournament once in eight seasons. The guy before that (Clem Haskins) went plenty of times, but those have been wiped from the record books because his players had some extra special help with their schoolwork. So we're talking about a program that had one legitimate trip to the NCAA's in the 16 years prior to hiring Tubby.

Tubby's certainly been pretty mediocre on a national scale. But why is the next guy going to be better?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think Ben Howland would be a good fit. Assuming there are no NCAA issues chasing him out of LA.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The guy before Tubby (Dan Monson) went to the tournament once in eight seasons. The guy before that (Clem Haskins) went plenty of times, but those have been wiped from the record books because his players had some extra special help with their schoolwork. So we're talking about a program that had one legitimate trip to the NCAA's in the 16 years prior to hiring Tubby.

Tubby's certainly been pretty mediocre on a national scale. But why is the next guy going to be better?

Tubby did win a National Championship at KenSucky and his teams were normally ranked at the end of the season, except his last 2 years there. I think his biggest downfall was he didn't bring in a lot of talent. ie, not the salesman Calamari or Pitino are.

Reaction Score
Reportedly ... from the Twin Cities ... they think they can get Shaka Smart because of his previous boss is now the Minnesota Athletic Director.

Reaction Score
I'm not familar with Minnesota's facilities, though I don't think that would be as big of an issue for him. He doesn't seem that kind of guy to get all caught up into that (ie Calamari), but who knows. A chance for Shaka to coach closer to home would be a big item for him.

I'm also thinking UCLA is going to push hard for Shaka, so that's probably why Minnesota is acting so quickly. Just a hunch.

Williams Arena, affectionately known as "The Barn" is over 80 years old..

Reaction Score
At Minnesota basketball is the 3rd winter sport behind wrestling and hockey, their top 2 sports.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They have a very nice women's hockey arena. Funny that they invested so much into a sport that gets 1500 per game.

Reaction Score
They have a very nice women's hockey arena. Funny that they invested so much into a sport that gets 1500 per game.

Yep hockey is king at Minnesota they have a big time wrestling program too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reportedly ... from the Twin Cities ... they think they can get Shaka Smart because of his previous boss is now the Minnesota Athletic Director.

Why would Shaka take that job, AD or not? Dan Monson was Shaka before Shaka was.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tubby was forever pushing a new practice facility there - they'll get one eventually, but it won't help the Tubster.

Basically, the guy just didn't win. He had a terrible record in the Big Ten and the program wasn't moving forward.

Not surprising.

Reaction Score
Thought I saw that they had 3,400 for the Frozen 4 there... Front page newspaper material for their undefeated season. The 3 finalists for national player of the year were all from the UofM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom