OT: - Tshiebwe in Transfer Portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tshiebwe in Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
ummmm because he's still only a sophomore.... so if he had 5* potential but had been criminally misused or under utilized at houston as a freshman that would be a fair explanation for any lack of production and why he is leaving....duh. but it seems like he's putting up the kind of stats you would expect from a 3* PG.. you have the most unnecessary flexes. the most random stuff sends you up the wall.
I think BL's point is: What if he was rated a 3* but had 5* production? Would you care about his HS rating? Would you say: "I know he's averaging 20 pts, 10 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals, but he was only a 3* in HS. Let's pass on this one."?

If he's a 5* with 3* production, it doesn't mean he was "criminally misused or under utilized". He could have been. He could also have been criminally overrated as a 5* HS player.

The point is, his HS rating doesn't provide much meaningful context, unless you assume it's accurate, which after a year+ of college basketball, is foolish.

Reaction Score
If he's a 5* with 3* production, it doesn't mean he was "criminally misused or under utilized". He could have been.
and that was my point...i was looking for some context since all i had to go on was 35 games worth of stats and what the recruiting services said. so sue me. this is the most ridiculous argument ive been involved in yet. save your breath. moving on.

Reaction Score
and that was my point...i was looking for some context since all i had to go on was 35 games worth of stats and what the recruiting services said. so sue me. this is the most ridiculous argument ive been involved in yet. save your breath. moving on.
Dude, I never stick my nose into these debates, but you are so wrong. You'll come off sanest if you just say you were talking off the cuff and bow out.

Reaction Score
Dude, I never stick my nose into these debates, but you are so wrong. You'll come off sanest if you just say you were talking off the cuff and bow out.
the fact that this turned into an argument at all is stupid. pick another battle. i'm not ashamed for bringing up the recruitment of a sophomore to help gauge a players potential. i dont care what anyone says

Reaction Score
it's just a total waste of everyones time. look what happened here. instead of talking about caleb we have devolved to this. i was attacked for bringing up his recruiting history rather than given any useful information. youre just piling on.

Reaction Score
it's just a total waste of everyones time. look what happened here. instead of talking about caleb we have devolved to this. i was attacked for bringing up his recruiting history rather than given any useful information. youre just piling on.
Fwiw he had a stronger offer list than his ranking. Auburn, Tennessee, Marquette, Providence, FSU to name a few

Reaction Score
No -- stupid stuff sends me over the wall. We saw him play in our conference for a year. At that point, make your own damn judgment. Or listen to the judgment of those you respect. But listening to judgements of recruiting services who made their judgments before the kid played a minute of college ball is just dumb. It's like relying on yelp ratings for a restaurant that you and your friends eat at all the time.
I guess if Yelp reviewers made a living trying restaurant food before the restaurants opened for business and attempted to project how good their food will be when they open. The majority of kids rated in the top 50 end up being good D1 players. That’s why most schools and fan bases would be interested in a top ranked sophomore who had a bad freshman year. There are great unranked kids and duds that are ranked, it’s still a good barometer of future success or there wouldn’t be a place for rankings.

Reaction Score
Why mess with what Hurley is creating? Martin knows the Hurley system so that was a no brainer but to bring in a 5th year senior, probably not unless they are self-less and have a niche such as a lights out 3 point shooter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don’t recruit other people’s problems.

Hard pass on both.

Reaction Score

how dare they bring up the fact he was a McDs AA. that is an utterly INSANE thing to do...

Reaction Score

how dare they bring up the fact he was a McDs AA. that is an utterly INSANE thing to do...

Has he played at least 1 full season? If so, yes, it is an irrelevant point.

Reaction Score
Has he played at least 1 full season? If so, yes, it is an irrelevant point.
yeah if he just waited until the summer to transfer i'm sure his being a McDs AA would NEVER have been mentioned....just like with quentin grimes! (not). on behalf of all the insane people in this world, i sincerely apologize to you guys.

Reaction Score
This is the craziest hill to die on.
look who's talking. every sportswriter does it. there are two examples from the past 2 days alone in this thread. you helped make a mountain out of a molehill.

Reaction Score
look who's talking. every sportswriter does it. there are two examples from the past 2 days alone in this thread. you made a mountain out of a molehill.
You looked up his rivals ranking & said why would anyone want him. Then said you admittedly never watched him play.
All I said was the Mills kid could play. Provided you with his offer list & accolades. If Bouk hit the portal tomorrow, would his list of suitors change from when he was the 66th ranked kid? I’d guess so. I’m sure Kentucky, Duke, etc wouldn’t turn him away cause he’s outside the range they usually target.

Reaction Score
You looked up his rivals ranking & said why would anyone want him. Then said you admittedly never watched him play.
All I said was the Mills kid could play. Provided you with his offer list & accolades. If Bouk hit the portal tomorrow, would his list of suitors change from when he was the 66th ranked kid? I’d guess so. I’m sure Kentucky, Duke, etc wouldn’t turn him away cause he’s outside the range they usually target.
your first response was helpful. your last only piled on the BS. i can defend myself for being called insane for raising mills' ranking when in reality it's insane to call someone insane for doing so. here's a 3rd example referencing the fact grimes was a 5* recruit even tho he was a sophomore. it's commonplace. i'm done.

Reaction Score

Mentioning this in a media article is one thing. Using it to prove he's a really good player that can impact your team is another thing. Do you see the difference?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well he wouldn't fit in well in Storrs. He'd fit in here just fine.
Send him to the Cesspool it’s a perfect fit.

Reaction Score
Mentioning this in a media article is one thing. Using it to prove he's a really good player that can impact your team is another thing. Do you see the difference?
maybe i am insane because the tweet literally uses his past ranking to prove he's a good player that can impact his team: "Former five-star recruit makes Houston a clear-cut preseason top 25 team..."

you're making a pointless distinction without a difference and it's a double standard. i raised mills' ranking in the form of a question i wasn't passing final judgment on him.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Always the same on the Yard. Way to go guys.

My I offer this compromise position? If a guy shows he is an excellent college player, what he was rated by HS rating services is irrelevant. If a guy struggles a bit early in college, the fact that he was a 5* or a McD AA is relevant, because it suggests potential that is untapped or that a change or coach and system may be what he needs.

Reaction Score
Always the same on the Yard. Way to go guys.

My I offer this compromise position? If a guy shows he is an excellent college player, what he was rated by HS rating services is irrelevant. If a guy struggles a bit early in college, the fact that he was a 5* or a McD AA is relevant, because it suggests potential that is untapped or that a change or coach and system may be what he needs.
finally a sane person joins the conversation. i didn't know if mills fit into the latter category. i didn't know anything about him. i thought he was a PG, as i acknowledged. so i looked up his ranking. god save my soul.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom