TSam's jump shot. | The Boneyard

TSam's jump shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He shot 76% from the line. He has a nice FT stroke. He shot 0-17 from the arc. How do you explain that discrepancy?

Is it confidence? Is there something wrong with his jump shot? A mechanical flaw? He was considered a decent/good shooter coming out of high school. 0-17 mostly uncontested threes? That has to be something he can improve, no?

How do you explain it? How does he fix it?

Reaction Score
It goes without saying but he needs a lot of work on his jump shot. Like a 1,000 jumpers a day amount of work. His technique is not good, it's almost like he shoots on the way down. If he can knock down the occasional J to keep defenders honest we're talking about a much improved Tsam.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan can shoot better then Tsam, i'm not even joking. Yes he needs to shoot about 1,000 jumpers a day as does Purvis though he's not as bad a shooter as Tsam. Perhaps he can work with Ray Allen some on shooting.

Reaction Score
He shot 76% from the line. He has a nice FT stroke. He shot 0-17 from the arc. How do you explain that discrepancy?

Is it confidence? Is there something wrong with his jump shot? A mechanical flaw? He was considered a decent/good shooter coming out of high school. 0-17 mostly uncontested threes? That has to be something he can improve, no?

How do you explain it? How does he fix it?

Calm at the line, he goes all herky jerky from everywhere else.

He might have better luck practicing a set shot.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan can shoot better then Tsam, i'm not even joking. Yes he needs to shoot about 1,000 jumpers a day as does Purvis though he's not as bad a shooter as Tsam. Perhaps he can work with Ray Allen some on shooting.

I'd be afraid to mess with Purvis's shot at this point. He's shooting 38% over 2 years from 3.

Reaction Score
I'd be afraid to mess with Purvis's shot at this point. He's shooting 38% over 2 years from 3.

Im not saying to change his form just get better at shooting, MJ developed his shooting to extend his career you can always improve your shooting, Tsam on the other hand needs to fix his form.

Reaction Score
It looks like he shoots with two hands. I'm not sure whats worst, his 'ballhandling' ( which is basically him stiff arming the defender because he's afraid of getting stripped) or his spot up shooting.

Reaction Score
Why are you so quick to discount the 2 threes that were made after the whistle was blown? I think he is 2-19 if you consider those.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not everyone is born with the same potential and tsam looks like someone who is just not wired to be a jumpshooter. He would have to start from scratch and re-work his shot. At his age, not too likely.

Reaction Score
Not everyone is born with the same potential and tsam looks like someone who is just not wired to be a jumpshooter. He would have to start from scratch and re-work his shot. At his age, not too likely.
He doesn't have a jump shot and never will. Unfortunate but true. Taliek had 4 years to work on his and never improved.

Reaction Score
He is always off-balance to some degree. He never gets it catch-and-shoot. His jumper is most often a bailout when his drive is impeded.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
His form seemed to be better in HS based on some of the highlight vids I saw of him.
Now, its a trainwreck. Hopefully, ha can live with Ray over the summer and learn to shoot again. Hope Omar is invited too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

The big thing that concerns me about Purv is his need to put the ball on the floor before shooting. RP says he's more comfortable using a dribble to get set and it gives him a rhythm or something. Seems that gives the opposing D another second or two to contest his shots. Given Purv is going to see 30+ MPG and TSam isn't, IMO, that's a bigger problem.

Reaction Score
The big thing that concerns me about Purv is his need to put the ball on the floor before shooting. RP says he's more comfortable using a dribble to get set and it gives him a rhythm or something. Seems that gives the opposing D another second or two to contest his shots. Given Purv is going to see 30+ MPG and TSam isn't, IMO, that's a bigger problem.
It's encouraging that he recognizes the issue and will presumably take steps this summer to fix it.

He's not going to turn into Ray, Rip or Rashad coming off a screen, but he can be better than Dyson. And I honestly think the shorter clock (it's gonna be 30 next year) will help him stay in attack mode mentally - less thinking, more pure execution.

Reaction Score
I've seen him make a few jumpers inside the arc. It's his 3 point shot that's the problem.

Reaction Score
If you're not a good shooter or even have a clue at this point it's rare it will ever be more than below average. Not saying it can't but I'm pretty much of the opinion you were "born" to shoot or you weren't.

caw

Reaction Score
Any way we can get Ray and/or Rip into Storrs starting tomorrow to shoot around the new facility while the guys are there? I agree neither would likely be assistant coaches but shot doctors?

Reaction Score
If you're not a good shooter or even have a clue at this point it's rare it will ever be more than below average. Not saying it can't but I'm pretty much of the opinion you were "born" to shoot or you weren't.
Good shooter? No one expects that, but damn it isn't too much to expect not to go 0 for the season. Surprise us, bang one one off the backboard, lucky bounce or something.

Seriously, if he could just hit a three occasionally, I mean he is always going to get open looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom