Trying to be optimistic | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Trying to be optimistic

Reaction Score
This is an overstatement. No one showed up against St. Joes. Hurley did not have them ready to play, and he conceded that. And it's not like everyone but Vitale and Gilbert were lights out against Indiana. The kid that people were worried about keeping in Storrs more than one year a week ago didn't put a single point on the board. I get the frustration with Gilbert and (primarily, in my opinion) Vitale, but we're going a bit overboard.
Nobody showed up for St. Joe's but the first half spiraled out of control when Gilbert and Vital came down and were taking contested 3's with 25 seconds on the shot clock. It's the one time this year I thought Hurley's comment of a losing culture was valid. They got down by 10 and it seemed like they threw in the towel early and gave up

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not a lotta new ground being broken on this or any of the other similarly-themed threads.

Vital can't stop shooting = posters who harp on this can't stop harping.

I can't do anything about Vital or those he drives crazy.
Several of the posters are not even accurate. He only took eight shots and was disciplined for one. An argument could be made he should have been disciplined for two.

There’s no commentary on the Gilbert three he made with 19 seconds remaining. Why? Because he made it. You and I both know what this place would have been like if he missed. Or if he brought the ball up the court on the last play and missed a shot or had a turnover.

Can you guess the reaction if Hurley instructed Bouknight to take the last shot and it resulted in a miss or a turnover costing us the game?

It probably would have been a predominately different group of “we could do it better” complainers but I bet you and I could come up with a list of those advocating for Bouknight in this thread who would be in that chorus. I won’t point them out. They might identify themselves by calling me out for this brutal assessment of their behavior. Which coincidentally matches their irritation with Christian. The best term I can come up with describing them is “hero fantasizing”. You got any suggestions.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
@superjohn
I'm talking about how we can get better for the season. Vital being our #1 option will not work, it's never worked. As for the IU game he made two shots and they were both pretty terrible shots (a long forced three with a defender on him and a running banker across the lane he probably traveled on) but yes it was his decision making which was by far the worst part of his game. The 7 turnovers don't even tell the whole story.

In another one of your posts I think you were more accurate. You said Christian gives as much as he takes away. I feel he gives more than he takes away but we can agree to disagree. For accuracy the whole story has to include his rebounding, assists, steals, shots made and defensive pressure. Agree Vital should not be the #1 option. The debate is over how Hurley needs to proceed in the transition from Christian to other options.

I don't have to show what Bouknight was doing in this game for why I think he should have his minutes and offensive workload bumped up.

You are stating the obvious.

He's our best offensive player and hasn't been given much of a chance to work through mistakes, he makes a couple and we don't tend to see much of him after.

This is just poor coaching by you and not Hurley. It's a terrific sound bite that doesn't go into detail the circumstances of either the games, this season, or the past. Bouknight is a freshman who is behind many other players in running offenses and defenses. Most coaches give freshman more opportunities in easier games. Bouknight lost some of that opportunity by his own actions when he was suspended for three games.

The last thing you do is allow your most talented player to get into bad habits by allowing him to play through things. You've made this assertion yourself. You among many posters blame KO for not pulling Christian when he made mistakes freshman year as the reason for Christian's play. KO had no choice. He had only six players that year and when Adams was injured there were no other alternatives. Hurley is not repeating that problem because he has alternatives albeit not ideal ones. You do not double down on the very thing you are criticizing.

Furthermore if Bouknight is behind four other starters it interferes with those starters development. They have to dumb down their play to account for him. You don't do that against comparable competition. You don't even do that early in games with inferior competition when those four other starters need a lot more development themselves. The moment you see Bouknight play consistent heady offense and defense you start him over Christian. Not before.

There are exceptions even in this short season. Bouknight played really well in the Xavier game and wasn't pulled for his mistakes. Only his foul situation limited his playing time in that game. Hurley is making decisions game by game and within games that contradict both your and my generalizations.

The number of players that improve and the degree of that improvement determines the season.

Vital is always given enough rope to hang himself and he almost always hangs himself in big games.

This is true. I dislike The Boneyard implying he's selfish or playing hero ball because the implication is he's consciously doing this behavior. I dislike it even more because it's judgmental with the primary purpose intended to attack and demean the kid. But that's a discussion this forum isn't interested in.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He needs to finish around the basket with consistency and regularity. And AUTHORITY. He's too big a dude to miss countless layups and shots close to the basket. He's got no strength to finish among the other big bodies.
I could find a measure of agreement with any of the individual sentences above, but when put together by the same person in the same paragraph, they seem to say that he's got to do that which he is incapable of doing unless he gains strength.

Is that your intention or belief?

Or, are you identifying one of the many as-yet-unanswered questions raised within the opening weeks of a new season? If it's this, I agree.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That really added a lot. Basketball message boards would be so interesting if we all pretended the coach was infallible and nobody commented on the games.
You'd have a tough time making the case that there's much pretending that the coach is infallible, but if you want to try, I'm open to being convinced that's what's meant by those disagreeing with your hyperbole from two directions.

You seem certain that CV can't moderate or be coached toward doing so. Might the same be said of you?

You suggested that we have alternatives to CV. Do we have alternatives to you?

You're in your 9th season on this particular version of The Boneyard. Is this all we can expect from you?

Are these unreasonable questions on a fan message board? Not if they are directed toward the appropriate person.

Just trying to stay on topic and be optimistic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We need to stop comparing this team to Ollie's last few years. We were absolutely horrendous, we know we're nothing like that anymore. We are a good team that should be 9-0 but our seniors have bad decisioned us out of three wins. If it continues we will be a fanbase saying wait until next year instead of dancing. I happen to think we have the talent to go dancing.
Here's hoping you can coach us up.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Starting to believe that the officials just don’t like Hurley. Defensive intensity in the Indiana game was even yet we get called for twice as many fouls. Including a few touch fouls.

Hurley mentioned that he doesn’t like AG splitting defenders. Kemba Walker made a living splitting defenders, getting body fouled in the paint, AG never seems to get the type of calls Kemba did.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Xavier was the better team. Again, we might have more talent on paper but on the court they were better. They're the only team this season that I think has been better than UConn. Should be 8-1.
Not a criticism of you, but there's a printer up in Onondaga County, NY who could probably print 3 sets of t-shirts before next Tuesday's game:

We Should Be 9-0

We Should Be 8-1

We're 6-3

Is it OK if the shirts are orange?

Meantime, with 5 minutes left, Georgetown is up on Syracuse 75-62, and Qudus Wahab has scored 0 points for the depleted Hoyas. Wait, Buddy Boeheim has just his two 3-pointers. It's 77-68 with just under 4 minutes to play. ESPN is putting together footage for "Requiem for the Big East" DVD extras.

#optimism

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Several of the posters are not even accurate. He only took eight shots and was disciplined for one. An argument could be made he should have been disciplined for two.

There’s no commentary on the Gilbert three he made with 19 seconds remaining. Why? Because he made it. You and I both know what this place would have been like if he missed. Or if he brought the ball up the court on the last play and missed a shot or had a turnover.

Can you guess the reaction if Hurley instructed Bouknight to take the last shot and it resulted in a miss or a turnover costing us the game?

It probably would have been a predominately different group of “we could do it better” complainers but I bet you and I could come up with a list of those advocating for Bouknight in this thread who would be in that chorus. I won’t point them out. They might identify themselves by calling me out for this brutal assessment of their behavior. Which coincidentally matches their irritation with Christian. The best term I can come up with describing them is “hero fantasizing”. You got any suggestions.
None, except to allow calendar 2019 to end with suspension of worry and hard conclusions, unless something truly surprising happens in the next 3 games.

Reaction Score
Starting to believe that the officials just don’t like Hurley. Defensive intensity in the Indiana game was even yet we get called for twice as many fouls. Including a few touch fouls.

Hurley mentioned that he doesn’t like AG splitting defenders. Kemba Walker made a living splitting defenders, getting body fouled in the paint, AG never seems to get the type of calls Kemba did.
I also thought the officiating was horrible during the Indiana game but I disagree with the premise that officials hate Hurley.
Out of our 9 games this year we have only been called for more total fouls than our opponent in 2 of those games with the Indiana game being one of them. We have actually been called for 16 less fouls than our opponents in total this season.
I think that these are great numbers considering the aggressiveness of our defense.

On camera, Hurley does appear to be whining and complaining to refs all the time however this to me is not indicative to what he’s actually doing and what he’s trying to achieve by doing this.
After seeing him in person and up close in Charleston and at other times on TV he appears to get along very well with most refs. There is a lot of smiling and laughing after Hurley appears to “ chastise” refs. A good coach needs to be addressing refs in certain situations to either question why something was called or to voice his displeasure on the answer or play. He has also nodded and agreed with the refs many times after he was given the reason.
All coaches do this and it does pay dividends at times with “ make up ‘ calls.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Vital is always given enough rope to hang himself and he almost always hangs himself in big games.

This is true.

I dislike The Boneyard implying he's selfish or playing hero ball because the implication is he's consciously doing this behavior.

I dislike it even more because it's judgmental with the primary purpose intended to attack and demean the kid.

But that's a discussion this forum isn't interested in.

My sole quibble here would be that CV has too often (not "always") been "... given enough rope..."

Again, it's the optimism thread, so I hope that the surrounding cast improves to provide more options; that the coaching staff makes lineup adjustments to leverage this: that CV either improves on these identified weaknesses or yields to better options...and that BY posters correspondingly improve.

I thoroughly agree with your words about sefishness, hero ball, and conscious choice to perform poorly. I think that we who write here are more liable to be charged that way, because we are older, and not under pressure of a game clock or opposing defenses.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I also thought the officiating was horrible during the Indiana game but I disagree with the premise that officials hate Hurley.
Out of our 9 games this year we have only been called for more total fouls than our opponent in 2 of those games with the Indiana game being one of them. We have actually been called for 16 less fouls than our opponents in total this season.
I think that these are great numbers considering the aggressiveness of our defense.

On camera, Hurley does appear to be whining and complaining to refs all the time however this to me is not indicative to what he’s actually doing and what he’s trying to achieve by doing this.
After seeing him in person and up close in Charleston and at other times on TV he appears to get along very well with most refs. There is a lot of smiling and laughing after Hurley appears to “ chastise” refs. A good coach needs to be addressing refs in certain situations to either question why something was called or to voice his displeasure on the answer or play. He has also nodded and agreed with the refs many times after he was given the reason.
All coaches do this and it does pay dividends at times with “ make up ‘ calls.
I think he has been working to improve in this area, and that he is making progress.
Again, year 2 of a rebuild stuff.

Reaction Score
You'd have a tough time making the case that there's much pretending that the coach is infallible, but if you want to try, I'm open to being convinced that's what's meant by those disagreeing with your hyperbole from two directions.

You seem certain that CV can't moderate or be coached toward doing so. Might the same be said of you?

You suggested that we have alternatives to CV. Do we have alternatives to you?

You're in your 9th season on this particular version of The Boneyard. Is this all we can expect from you?

Are these unreasonable questions on a fan message board? Not if they are directed toward the appropriate person.

Just trying to stay on topic and be optimistic.
You're being weird.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're being weird.
Some people do see optimism that way. Mostly, just inviting you to slow down, and doing so with greater hope than you attach to your wish for CV to do similarly.

Let's see where things stand at the close of 2019. We aren't as far away from each other, and this is a 'come together' year, after a period of true weirdness. Besides...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My sole quibble here would be that CV has too often (not "always") been "... given enough rope..."

Again, it's the optimism thread, so I hope that the surrounding cast improves to provide more options; that the coaching staff makes lineup adjustments to leverage this: that CV either improves on these identified weaknesses or yields to better options...and that BY posters correspondingly improve.

I thoroughly agree with your words about sefishness, hero ball, and conscious choice to perform poorly. I think that we who write here are more liable to be charged that way, because we are older, and not under pressure of a game clock or opposing defenses.
Small quibble but accurate. It was an exaggeration.

If CV does not figure out a way to play composed his contributions to the game will always be devalued. Given this is an optimism thread I will add we finally have the players that, if they develop as we hope they will, could take a lot of pressure off of CV and allow him to play in a manner this forum can appreciate.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
b

Enough rope to hang the team on 3 occassions.

Reaction Score
This is an overstatement. No one showed up against St. Joes. Hurley did not have them ready to play, and he conceded that. And it's not like everyone but Vitale and Gilbert were lights out against Indiana. The kid that people were worried about keeping in Storrs more than one year a week ago didn't put a single point on the board. I get the frustration with Gilbert and (primarily, in my opinion) Vitale, but we're going a bit overboard.
I kindly disagree. We shud be 9-0 (not counting the second fla game) St joes shot thier brains out. They will never ever shoot that way again. We didn’t play well but shudda won that one. Xavier was the killer game that we had until Our guards imploded. We completely shot ourselves in foot and blew game. And Indiana is not even that good. We lost by 3 with our senior guard having his worst game ever and jb had 2 points and our guards off bench were atrocious. Shud be 9-0. We are making a point to shoot our selves in the foot over And over. Yes we are deff improving and better than last two years obviously but those were 2 so winnable games. It’s actually comical how we definitely shud have won vs Indiana and especially Xavier - Shud easily be 9-0 Easily. Making me upset writing this actually the more I think about it. Lol

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
We were in trouble when we were up 15-6 and had a chance to really put the foot down. We came up empty on 4 or 5 straight possessions. Unfortunately we are way further away than I initially thought. It will be 4 straight years of no NCAA which is almost hard to believe.
Your right we could have kept the foot down but we changed line ups for some reason. It was very upsetting that we just didn't ride with the starting lineup for a bit more.

Reaction Score
We will succeed if our players of limited talent (which is all but two of them) play within themselves, and our players of out-sized talent -- Akok and Bouknight -- are developed gradually and intelligently. This will be mainly a function of coaching. We don't have the NBA-ready talent of our great teams, and we don't have the Kemba or Shabazz, of our Cinderella teams, but we have a deep ensemble of role players who can give us a strong winning season if their strengths can be channeled. We are a better team than anticipated, and based on recent results, our toughest tests ahead are not as tough as they once looked (Cincy, Villanova, Houston). Our ceiling has risen noticeably since the season began -- and is rising.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hate the "team didn't come ready to play" takes because they lost by 3 to a blue blood program. Indiana was trying to win too, in case anyone is curious.

Small problems are highlighted in close games, and UConn's shot selection is more like a medium size problem than a small one. I think this problem is further highlighted by the fact that UConn has so few opportunities for quality wins this season, so losing two close games against Top 40 teams hurts a little more.

Reaction Score

AG doesn't get the calls Kemba did because Kemba was stronger, better and more coordinated. One of the many differences between a lottery talent and a guy staring at being a 5th year senior or playing overseas.

Reaction Score
AG doesn't get the calls Kemba did because Kemba was stronger, better and more coordinated. One of the many differences between a lottery talent and a guy staring at being a 5th year senior or playing overseas.
And sometimes Al is just plain getting stuffed when he takes it in deep

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom