True Freshman!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

True Freshman!!!

Reaction Score
There is a remedy boys and girls and it's nonprescription kind of over the counter. Yep it comes with your television or cable package. *
Not attacking anyone here I agree with the problem / situation. Grew up listening to games on the radio when that was your eyes on the game and for the most part done well.
Today's announcers treat the audience like they need to hear constant babble not realizing we can see what is happening. The need to fill every second with chatter and often their own stories is not needed and often over runs a play or call that should be commented on.
Ahh they get to that two plays later.
* The mute on the remote is a wonderful tool, I use it often.... ;)
Ever watch a fight on TV while listening to it on the radio? The radio guy is talking a mile a minute, while the TV guy wakes up every so often to throw in a word or two. Many years ago, Sports Illustrated did a 2-frame cartoon of these two mike jockeys side by side. The best announcers on radio are able to paint a picture for you, like Marty Glickman used to say "the Giants are moving right-to-left on your radio dial." My plea to TV announcers -- just stick with what we're watching, and stop trying to impress us with how much you know about stuff we're NOT watching.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few years ago the game crew began treating as optional announcing substitutions - those leaving, those entering. Something so basic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one that shocked me yesterday was seeing the legendary Tenn coach Holly as the analyst on a game. She is not a good public speaker.
She wasn’t a good coach either. So at least she’s consistent….:(

Reaction Score
She wasn’t a good coach either. So at least she’s consistent….:(
The worst by far was the old guy doing the color for the Vegas-Arizona game. He literally never shut up for the entire broadcast. The announcer had trouble fitting in the play by play as he took a breath.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Funny, she also made a reference to Mercer competing with BCS teams... Need to refresh to be fresh, Pam.
Sometimes I get the sense that the mothership (ESPN) wants to promote a narrative that DI is the P5 and everyone else is playing division II. Yes, the term P5 is only relevant within a football context, but football is the big moneymaker, so that’s the narrative they push.
Cal Stone GIF by Manifest

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Red Grange, when he did color commentary for Lindsey Nelson on the football game of the week, always described a team in the plural ("Yale are doing this," "Villanova are doing that"). And Dizzy Dean angered the nation's teachers when he told his radio audience "So what if I say he 'slud into 2nd' or he was 'thoed out at 1st.' Heck, I only went up to 3rd grade, and that was one past my pappy." But at least they described the game, in a colorful way. Unlike good-hit/field -- but overrated broadcaster -- Phil Rizzuto, who spent too much mike time telling us which of his friends were having birthdays today, or whom he had golfed with over the weekend, or which baseball personalities he didn't like ("huckleberries," he called them).

I guess that means Yale "are" located in New Haven. :(

"Boolas, boolas," Lindsey.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Ban the phrase, it has been overused and sounds ridiculous. I don't give a poop about how many years a player has been in school. What matters is what year they are playing in. I say use the term twice, use it again the announcer should have a fingernail pulled out.

Reaction Score
Does Pam Ward think she's watching college football ? "True freshman" is a meaningless term outside of that context. Pam Ward must have said it 30 times today. So looking forward to hearing it 30 more times on Monday
I believe she also referred to Dorka as a 5th year Senior (she graduated in 3 from Ohio State).

Reaction Score
Yes, Dorka is not a 5th year senior or any other kind of senior. She's a grad student, which is how she's listed on the UConn roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom