True Freshman!!! | The Boneyard

True Freshman!!!

Reaction Score
Does Pam Ward think she's watching college football ? "True freshman" is a meaningless term outside of that context. Pam Ward must have said it 30 times today. So looking forward to hearing it 30 more times on Monday
Also, thought Edwards hair was " a homage to the Minnesota Vikings".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
And I was pleading with them to just call the game. I get UConn is winning by 30, but who do you think is watching ? FYI, its UCONN FANS, they really don't care about all they other matchups like "Belmont, always a tough out". Sure. They've made the tournament 7 times. Their overall record is 1-6 so far. "Always a tough out"

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Does Pam Ward think she's watching college football ? "True freshman" is a meaningless term outside of that context. Pam Ward must have said it 30 times today. So looking forward to hearing it 30 more times on Monday
It's even a meaningless term in the context of college football. Once you identify someone who isn't in their first year as a "redshirt freshman" then any other first year player simply can be called a "freshman."

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Funny, she also made a reference to Mercer competing with BCS teams... Need to refresh to be fresh, Pam.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
TV journalism, including sports' journalism, has become standardless babble of the day. Former players of note are our best hope.
As a print journalist for nearly half a century, the only way I can save myself from scratching out my eyes is to refer to these folks as "broadcasters," not journalists. They can call themselves journalists when they refer to UConn as "it," not "they."

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And I was pleading with them to just call the game. I get UConn is winning by 30, but who do you think is watching ? FYI, its UCONN FANS, they really don't care about all they other matchups like "Belmont, always a tough out". Sure. They've made the tournament 7 times. Their overall record is 1-6 so far. "Always a tough out"
Care to rethink this comment? :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sorry to be pendantic, but I have to take issue with the objection to "true freshman". In the 21st century, UConn has had a few freshman redshirts: Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle (I believe), and Heather Buck. When they did play, it would have been appropriate to describe them during their first year as "redshirt freshmen". And to make clear that other freshmen were in a different category, it would have been appropriate to refer to Maya Moore or Stef Dolson during their first years as "true freshmen".

Also, with COVID, there have been other not-quite-true freshmen, such as Olivia Miles from Notre Dame, and (I believe) von Oelhoffen of Oregon State, who played college basketball in what would have been their high school senior year, which the extra COVID year made possible. Had Saylor Poffenbarger played for UConn or Arkansas this year, she would have been something other than a "true freshman" this year. So the "true freshman" descriptor does serve a purpose.

Why is it more objectionable than "fifth year senior", which you hear quite frequently, and for a valid reason?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I believe the use of the word “true” this year is driven by high school players entering early last year. For example, Poffenbarget would not be considered a true freshman this year because she entered early last year. Same thing applies to Miles from ND and others.

Reaction Score
TV journalism, including sports' journalism, has become standardless babble of the day. Former players of note are our best hope.
I've come to the conclusion our best hope is a lone announcer, currently occasionally available on "lower tier" sports coverage. One announcer talks about the game. Two announcers talk to each other.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They were pretty god awful today. The only time I liked them was when they were quiet for the first couple of minutes of the 2nd half.

Luckily, as my wife attests, I am good at ignoring people. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So looking forward to hearing it 30 more times on Monday

Also, thought Edwards hair was " a homage to the Minnesota Vikings".

Do they do any homework?

I was SCREAMING at the tv for her to have done her pre-game hw

Former players of note are our best hope.
There is a remedy boys and girls and it's nonprescription kind of over the counter. Yep it comes with your television or cable package. *
Not attacking anyone here I agree with the problem / situation. Grew up listening to games on the radio when that was your eyes on the game and for the most part done well.
Today's announcers treat the audience like they need to hear constant babble not realizing we can see what is happening. The need to fill every second with chatter and often their own stories is not needed and often over runs a play or call that should be commented on.
Ahh they get to that two plays later.
* The mute on the remote is a wonderful tool, I use it often.... ;)

Reaction Score
Today's announcers treat the audience like they need to hear constant babble not realizing we can see what is happening

On my feed there was an approximately 1 minute announcer/commentator audio loss; I forget when, sometime in the second half. The crowd sounds and such continued. It was like I had had a headache that suddenly stopped for a minute. I'd like to thank whoever was responsible for that reprieve, brief though it was.

I like to know, when play is interrupted, what happened, exactly. Overall they get that about 85% of the time and I'd like it to be 100%. Maybe have spotters who can feed them the info in their earphone (and on to us) as to what is happening in a tight bunch where we can't see exactly. Otherwise I can pretty much just watch the game.

Reaction Score
There is a remedy boys and girls and it's nonprescription kind of over the counter. Yep it comes with your television or cable package. *
Not attacking anyone here I agree with the problem / situation. Grew up listening to games on the radio when that was your eyes on the game and for the most part done well.
Today's announcers treat the audience like they need to hear constant babble not realizing we can see what is happening. The need to fill every second with chatter and often their own stories is not needed and often over runs a play or call that should be commented on.
Ahh they get to that two plays later.
* The mute on the remote is a wonderful tool, I use it often.... ;)
I concur, but muting is not so simple for me. I'm not that savvy with BB x's and o's and desire at least a modicum of feedback, which unfortunately, is all I'll get. And hey, if muted, I won't get the warm-fuzzies I feel from the opportunity to continue to pay said package provider like the troglodyte I am, and listen to talking lizards, emus, class-action lawsuits I might join, and the Liberty jingle every break in the action!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
On my feed there was an approximately 1 minute announcer/commentator audio loss; I forget when, sometime in the second half. The crowd sounds and such continued. It was like I had had a headache that suddenly stopped for a minute. I'd like to thank whoever was responsible for that reprieve, brief though it was.
They were told to take a time of silence to honor something about the subject of LGBQ. I can't remember all the letters.

Reaction Score
I concur, but muting is not so simple for me. I'm not that savvy with BB x's and o's and desire at least a modicum of feedback, which unfortunately, is all I'll get. And hey, if muted, I won't get the warm-fuzzies I feel from the opportunity to continue to pay said package provider like the troglodyte I am, and listen to talking lizards, emus, class-action lawsuits I might join, and the Liberty jingle every break in the action!
Let's see, concur, modicum, in the same sentence from a pinhead is suspicious to say the least. Lets move on to troglodyte.
Hey maybe your being truthful and all I should do is help. My recommendation.....
Be on the Show
I suggest be on the show as that is where most pinheads and troglodytes can be rewarded for their openness. Doc pays the tab. ;)

Reaction Score

I like to know, when play is interrupted, what happened, exactly. Overall they get that about 85% of the time and I'd like it to be 100%. Maybe have spotters who can feed them the info in their earphone (and on to us) as to what is happening in a tight bunch where we can't see exactly. Otherwise I can pretty much just watch the game.
It was a moment of silence for gay and lesbian people ( such as Stephanie White) whose rights are being threatened by new legislation in Florida and elsewhere.

Reaction Score
It was a moment of silence for gay and lesbian people ( such as Stephanie White) whose rights are being threatened by new legislation in Florida and elsewhere.
Thanks. I missed that. Unfortunately I guess I've gotten to the point I'm mentally blocking out what they say if I'm not sensing it's game-important info. Promos, backstories, chatter, I'm just not there. If they said a meteor is going to hit and obliterate all life on the planet 5 minutes after the game I'd probably miss it.

Reaction Score
I believe the use of the word “true” this year is driven by high school players entering early last year. For example, Poffenbarget would not be considered a true freshman this year because she entered early last year. Same thing applies to Miles from ND and others.
Good point. "True freshmen" has its application. For example, people are wondering why Citron of ND won the ACC freshman of the year, and not her teammate Olivia Miles, who to a lot of people had a better year. Miles, incidentally, made the All-ACC first team. As you pointed out, because she played five or six games last season when she came to ND early like Saylor did at UConn, Miles is not considered a true freshman for the ACC award. although she has freshman eligiblity...,,

Reaction Score
As a print journalist for nearly half a century, the only way I can save myself from scratching out my eyes is to refer to these folks as "broadcasters," not journalists. They can call themselves journalists when they refer to UConn as "it," not "they."
Red Grange, when he did color commentary for Lindsey Nelson on the football game of the week, always described a team in the plural ("Yale are doing this," "Villanova are doing that"). And Dizzy Dean angered the nation's teachers when he told his radio audience "So what if I say he 'slud into 2nd' or he was 'thoed out at 1st.' Heck, I only went up to 3rd grade, and that was one past my pappy." But at least they described the game, in a colorful way. Unlike good-hit/field -- but overrated broadcaster -- Phil Rizzuto, who spent too much mike time telling us which of his friends were having birthdays today, or whom he had golfed with over the weekend, or which baseball personalities he didn't like ("huckleberries," he called them).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom