Trolls | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While Duke hasn't had the success that Geno has had, how do you explain their ability to get successive good recruiting classes? I do realize they have an advantage as Duke is considered an elite educational institution, but they still have to overcome the argument of playing time. Geno has the national championships, history and the ability to get players into the WNBA on his side.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Geno and the coaching staff could not have gotten another player(s) in the 2013 class that would have helped next years team or in 2014/15. To go into next year with only 9 players on the roster is inexcusable when there are so many injuries in the Women's game. While it won't be popular, I do think Geno's and the rest of the coaching staff's involvement with Team USA did impact recruiting for the 2013 class. They went after a couple of the elite players in the class and it didn't pan out. There had to be players that would fit Geno's requirements ranked in the 20 to 50 range that would have been interested in UConn, if the coaching staff came calling.

Michala and Lauren leaving the team obviously contributes to the limited number of roster players for 2013/2014. Michala leaving was reported in April and Lauren's was reported in August both before 2013 signing date. However, it was at a time that Geno and the staff was heavily involved in the US Olympic Team. I suspect that at least in Lauren's case the coaching staff knew they were leaving prior to when it was reported in the press.

I think the Kelly Faris class that was only one player hurt UConn's chances at winning the last two National Championships. Caroline's injuries also significantly impacted UConn's chances. Both led to IMHO an inadequate bench.

Do I think Geno and the coaching staff do an excellent job recruiting the elite players? Most definitely. Are they able to develop these players into an excellent team that is one of the elite teams on an annual basis and along the way the players are also wanted by WNBA teams? You Bet I do. Is it reasonable to expect even with great players to win the National Championship every year? No its not. Not that it matters, do I sometimes wonder how the coaching staff chooses players that will end up as role players or need further development? Yes I do. Do I wonder why Kelly's and Saniya's classes ended up with only one player? Yes, most definitely as there has to be other players that meet Geno and the Coaching Staff's requirements just begging for an opportunity to play at UConn. Even Geno has said he doesn't like recruiting classes that only has one player. Do I think Geno and the coaching staff know what they're doing? Sure I do? Do I think Geno and CD are the best coaching tandem in WBB? You Bet I do. Geno has been the best coach in WBB for a number of years and only Pat's records and his personaliy are why some won't recognize it as fact.

However, even though I think Geno's the best coach and one of the best at recruiting talent to build elite teams. It also okay to wonder why he ends up with recruiting classes of one player. I don't completely buy the argument that the roster is too deep and players don't want to compete for a starting position. Yes, some players won't want to come, but others would probably relish the challenge. Plus every team needs role players and that's what the 2013/2014 team will need.

Sort of a different kind of bucket list, eh? Well...let's tackle each one...

1. I'm really torn on the Doty question. She's such a stable leader on the floor and seems to be able to calm the team down (more often that not) when they get going too quickly and start to force things. Whether that's more important at the start of the game (and when her knee is still loose) or whether that's a good trait to have coming off the bench, I haven't decided yet. I will say on just about any other UConn team I've ever seen she's an easy choice as starter...but with this year's group you have 6-7 players who really deserve to start.

2. Who's better? Depends on if you're a Beatles or Rolling Stones fan (am I working the right demographic?)! DT is like the Stones, darker and more raw. You already love her or you never will. Maya is like the Beatles, with an innocent and cheerful feel and a wider appeal to those who aren't already her fans. Now the next question is, which song best represents each? I'll let someone else tackle that.

3. You can't look back. Technologically speaking, SNY is the way to go now, although I do miss the homey feel of CPTV (and the extra stuff they gave us).

4. Diggins is both, most definitely.

5. Geno isn't God, as he makes mistakes and even admits it. That said, he's a damn good coach.

6. Cycles, my friends, cycles. I'm sure it's been brought up many times before, but after a terrific class comes through it's always tough to get big classes to follow it. Playing time is always a concern. Now if that class of one is someone like Kelly Faris, we'll be just fine.

7. Nan's new avatar? I always liked the Trinity (The Matrix) avatar...[/quote

Reaction Score
However, even though I think Geno's the best coach and one of the best at recruiting talent to build elite teams. It also okay to wonder why he ends up with recruiting classes of one player. I don't completely buy the argument that the roster is too deep and players don't want to compete for a starting position. Yes, some players won't want to come, but others would probably relish the challenge. Plus every team needs role players and that's what the 2013/2014 team will need.

It's totally all right to question those one-player classes as they do seem to cause depth issues, especially when injuries or transfers strike. But it isn't easy to get the kind of player that wants to come and be a significant role player at UConn.

You're basically looking for these traits:

1. someone who is great enough to be a star player on every team they've ever played on AND good enough to play at least some minutes at UConn (that last part is more difficult than the first, because Geno has already shown he won't play kids just to give them minutes...they need to earn it). You want someone who could be a #8 or #9 player in a rotation, not a warm body. The Huskies have had bodies on the bench before (see Jacquie Fernandes) but not ones that would ever see a minute in a competitive game (no offense to Jacquie).

2. someone who is selfless enough to not demand premium minutes (how many "role" players have transferred out of Storrs recently? More than a few). It's tough to get someone who has been a star all their life to realize it isn't happening anymore...and still put forth the kind of effort day-in and day-out that Geno demands. That motivation is rare and when found, it should be celebrated. When you don't see a minute of game time sometimes, how pumped would you be to give a "game day" effort in practice the next morning?

If every role player had Kelly Faris' attitude, the Huskies would have unbelievable depth at every position. Alas, not everyone has Faris' attitude nor will they.

Reaction Score
Welcome RJ...from another reformed lurker...

I, too, liked your Beatles Stones analogy...how about Street Fighting Man and Baby I'm Amazed...?

Very nice! I'm going to have to dig through the library and see which ones strike me, too...but not now, gotta still get some Christmas shopping done.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
While Duke hasn't had the success that Geno has had, how do you explain their ability to get successive good recruiting classes? I do realize they have an advantage as Duke is considered an elite educational institution, but they still have to overcome the argument of playing time. Geno has the national championships, history and the ability to get players into the WNBA on his side.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Geno and the coaching staff could not have gotten another player(s) in the 2013 class that would have helped next years team or in 2014/15. To go into next year with only 9 players on the roster is inexcusable when there are so many injuries in the Women's game. While it won't be popular, I do think Geno's and the rest of the coaching staff's involvement with Team USA did impact recruiting for the 2013 class. They went after a couple of the elite players in the class and it didn't pan out. There had to be players that would fit Geno's requirements ranked in the 20 to 50 range that would have been interested in UConn, if the coaching staff came calling.

Michala and Lauren leaving the team obviously contributes to the limited number of roster players for 2013/2014. Michala leaving was reported in April and Lauren's was reported in August both before 2013 signing date. However, it was at a time that Geno and the staff was heavily involved in the US Olympic Team. I suspect that at least in Lauren's case the coaching staff knew they were leaving prior to when it was reported in the press.

I think the Kelly Faris class that was only one player hurt UConn's chances at winning the last two National Championships. Caroline's injuries also significantly impacted UConn's chances. Both led to IMHO an inadequate bench.

Do I think Geno and the coaching staff do an excellent job recruiting the elite players? Most definitely. Are they able to develop these players into an excellent team that is one of the elite teams on an annual basis and along the way the players are also wanted by WNBA teams? You Bet I do. Is it reasonable to expect even with great players to win the National Championship every year? No its not. Not that it matters, do I sometimes wonder how the coaching staff chooses players that will end up as role players or need further development? Yes I do. Do I wonder why Kelly's and Saniya's classes ended up with only one player? Yes, most definitely as there has to be other players that meet Geno and the Coaching Staff's requirements just begging for an opportunity to play at UConn. Even Geno has said he doesn't like recruiting classes that only has one player. Do I think Geno and the coaching staff know what they're doing? Sure I do? Do I think Geno and CD are the best coaching tandem in WBB? You Bet I do. Geno has been the best coach in WBB for a number of years and only Pat's records and his personaliy are why some won't recognize it as fact.

Are you seriously comparing any Duke class to a class of the 1,2 and 6 ranked HS players? It was a huge impact to getting several of the top 2013 players. Duke? Not so much. Please tell me the players that would deter the 2013 duke recruiting class from comitting to Duke based on playing time. Or these succesive "good" recruiting classes that come even close to the UConn monster class.

"There had to be players that would fit Geno's requirements ranked in the 20 to 50 range that would have been interested in UConn, if the coaching staff came calling."

Name them. Had to be??? Give me a break.

You have been beating this Kelly Faris class cost UConn the NC drum for a long time. It's just the way it goes. Yes, if EDD went to UConn and played like an AA there, UConn might have won another championship or even 2. But to say that any other player that was supposed to go to UConn would have made is difference is just guesswork. And nothing that can be said as FACT.

"Do I wonder why Kelly's and Saniya's classes ended up with only one player? Yes, most definitely as there has to be other players that meet Geno and the Coaching Staff's requirements just begging for an opportunity to play at UConn."

You really wonder why? The reasons for the Kelly class have been discussed here many times. Only to you is this still a mystery. If there were players as you described, they would be here playing.

As for the 2013 class, I'm sure you are familiar with the spring signing period, right? Transfers? I know it hasn't happened often, but it's possible.

If you think Geno will have only 9 players on the roster next year, you are crazy.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's totally all right to question those one-player classes as they do seem to cause depth issues, especially when injuries or transfers strike. But it isn't easy to get the kind of player that wants to come and be a significant role player at UConn.

1. someone who is great enough to be a star player on every team they've ever played on AND good enough to play at least some minutes at UConn (that last part is more difficult than the first, because Geno has already shown he won't play kids just to give them minutes...they need to earn it). You want someone who could be a #8 or #9 player in a rotation, not a warm body. The Huskies have had bodies on the bench before (see Jacquie Fernandes) but not ones that would ever see a minute in a competitive game (no offense to Jacquie).

2. someone who is selfless enough to not demand premium minutes (how many "role" players have transferred out of Storrs recently? More than a few). It's tough to get someone who has been a star all their life to realize it isn't happening anymore...and still put forth the kind of effort day-in and day-out that Geno demands. That motivation is rare and when found, it should be celebrated. When you don't see a minute of game time sometimes, how pumped would you be to give a "game day" effort in practice the next morning?

If every role player had Kelly Faris' attitude, the Huskies would have unbelievable depth at every position. Alas, not everyone has Faris' attitude nor will they.

You answered much nicer than I did.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In case it hadn't been posted, the store added an "L". As in Geno Is Gold.
Ah someone who remembers. And I did not know that. Much better if you ask me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Oops, sorry...got my internet lingo mixed up! I'm a lurker who is coming into the light of day now...
What is this? The Walking Dead?

Lurker sounds creepy. Troll sounds cute and impish.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Are you seriously comparing any Duke class to a class of the 1,2 and 6 ranked HS players? It was a huge impact to getting several of the top 2013 players. Duke? Not so much. Please tell me the players that would deter the 2013 duke recruiting class from comitting to Duke based on playing time. Or these succesive "good" recruiting classes that come even close to the UConn monster class.

"There had to be players that would fit Geno's requirements ranked in the 20 to 50 range that would have been interested in UConn, if the coaching staff came calling."

You have been beating this Kelly Faris class cost UConn the NC drum for a long time. It's just the way it goes. Yes, if EDD went to UConn and played like an AA there, UConn might have won another championship or even 2. But to say that any other player that was supposed to go to UConn would have made is difference is just guesswork. And nothing that can be said as FACT.

"Do I wonder why Kelly's and Saniya's classes ended up with only one player? Yes, most definitely as there has to be other players that meet Geno and the Coaching Staff's requirements just begging for an opportunity to play at UConn."

You really wonder why? The reasons for the Kelly class have been discussed here many times. Only to you is this still a mystery. If there were players as you described, they would be here playing.

As for the 2013 class, I'm sure you are familiar with the spring signing period, right? Transfers? I know it hasn't happened often, but it's possible.

If you think Geno will have only 9 players on the roster next year, you are crazy.

You tell it, DD! (And may I add a ditto for my total agreement?)

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Well, RJ, we hit ya with a pretty demanding pop quiz right off of the bat, and, ya done good. Particularly like the Beatles/Stones analogy. Personally, I'm in the "Mrs. Peel" camp.

Yeah, me too. I used to watch the show every week, without fail, just to see Emma Peel ... but she never did.:(

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How about Elizabeth Williams Duke's center who IMHO is the 2nd best center in College WBB after Griner and is only a soph. Chelsea Gray All American PG; a junior; then they add this Year Alexis Jones who was the 3rd ranked player in the 2012 class. Duke's other starters aren't slouches either.

No where in my post did I say any of Duke's recruiting classes were better then Geno's 2012 class. What I said they've been able to get successive good recruiting classes even with a deep roster. Duke was able to get the 2nd ranked 2013 class even though they only graduate one player from this years team. Duke's Roster - Link

Surely even you don't believe of the 30 players that are ranked between 20 to 50 in the 2013 class that there aren't a couple of players that could get get playing time and fit in at UConn. Look at some of the schools that signed players within this range. Hoopgurlz Ranking - Link These are all 4 star players and as of today UConn only has 9 players on the roster for next year. IMHO the coaching staff went after some of the elite players in 2013 and didn't identify or go after many other players. Saniya Chong was a late addition to UConn's recruiting effort and fortunately they were able to sign her. Otherwise it would have been a completely wasted recruiting year. I also believe that a couple of these players would have signed with UConn if offered. Can I name them, no. However, UConn is usually one of the Top Schools listed by recruits along with Duke, Tenn etc, so logic tells me some would sign with UConn if offered. Some of these recruits signed with schools where they most likely would not start in their freshmen year.

Do I think that there will only be 9 players on the roster, maybe not as there was the walk-on player this year that is injured. From the posts about the practices, apparently she's watching them and involved at some level with the team. I would imagine IF she's healthy then she has a good chance at being added to the roster. Unless Geno signs a JUCO or foreign player which are highly unlikely then the only way the roster is added to is with walk-ons. Surely a player in the Top 50 would contribute and get more playing time then a walk on would. There are only two players in the Top 100 that are unsigned.

What was the biggest weakness for UConn over the last two years? Limited Production from the bench. When starters were in foul trouble or having a bad day, where were the points or defense going to come from. IMHO UConn beats ND in the Semi-Final both years, if UConn had a deeper bench. Last year, Geno did have KML who probably should have been starting over Caroline as KML did average more minutes per game. UConn probably should have won both years even with the limited bench. It would have been a little easier with scorers and defense off the bench like ND had. I think UConn beats A&M in Maya's Senior year, and probably loses to Baylor last year. Sure its all supposition on my part, as who knows what would actually happen. I just know what happened when Geno went to his bench.

Just think if this was already next year and Morgan and Kiah weren't able to play then UConn would only have 7 players available. Look at the number of minutes the starters would have to play in what should
be a blow out game.

Because of the lack of success in 2013, Geno is going to have to have a great class in 2014. They've already struck out on one of their targets, so who knows what will happen. While Geno should be able to over come the conference realignment garbage, who knows what actual impact that will have. You can bet coaches at other schools will add this to the list of items they currently use to recruit against UConn. Thus making Geno's job more difficult.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ah someone who remembers. And I did not know that. Much better if you ask me.
The Geno is God guy is a Boneyarder, though an infrequent visitor. Don't believe everything Waquoit tells you.... :)

Cropped_front_transparent.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I like this answer very much! And it is a reason why I really liked the Valley girls and Gardler and Buck - players that were/are never going to get a ton of minutes but have the drive and determination to be strong teammates and occasional contributors.
WBBfan1 - Geno has very specific qualifications he looks for in players he recruits and it has nothing to do with the ranking services. There are a number of very good players that he has no interest in because he doesn't believe they will fit into the team and the system he runs. Add to that a large number very good players that are not interested in Uconn, and that cuts down the 50 top ranked players to maybe 5-10 players that have mutual interest. And of those players Uconn is competing with a number of other programs. Generally Geno does pretty well, but some years everything does not align and that happens more frequently after incredibly strong recruiting classes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
LOL...now you have me wondering...do you have a strong Charde Houston connection???
No, I got you mixed up with one of your former co-workers. My bad.

Reaction Score
No, I got you mixed up with one of your former co-workers. My bad.

No worries, Nan! I worked with some great people...and I'd be happy to be mixed up with them from time to time...

Reaction Score
In case it hadn't been posted, the store added an "L". As in Geno Is Gold.

This temporary change to the landmark sign is an Olympic tribute, since only the players receive gold medals we decided to award Geno one here on Main St., East Hartford. The O in Geno is a picture of the actual Olympic basketball gold medal.
Geno Is Gold 130114.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32