Tristen Newton Has No Pulse | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Has No Pulse

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
This is the young man who is going to step up and take the big shot when we need it most. Many of us have wondered who that would be this season, and fortunately we haven't even come close to finding out yet.

Tonight I saw a glimpse of the future. Sir Newton understands the gravity of the moment, as he stopped two Cyclones runs with giant shots.

Hawkins is the superior athlete. But Newton has the onions.

Reaction Score
His 8 turnovers weren’t too good though. I mean he dribbled backwards into 2 traps and that was mind boggling. He also caught in bounds passes in the corner (not on him there as our in bounds plays aren’t very good). Love this kid he has the balls but needs to be better with the ball. But he hit 2 large shots and gets to the line frequently.

Reaction Score
His 8 turnovers weren’t too good though. I mean he dribbled backwards into 2 traps and that was mind boggling. He also caught in bounds passes in the corner (not on him there as our in bounds plays aren’t very good). Love this kid he has the balls but needs to be better with the ball. But he hit 2 large shots and gets to the line frequently.
Calhoun always said the best trapping area is the corners near half court. For some reason Tristen kept dribbling into those corners and inviting the double team. There is an easy fix. When the trap starts to come move toward the center of court the court and closer to the key.

This situation was probably good for Tristen. It's great to be able to learn lessons and still come away with a win. He has the smarts and ability to avoid these danger areas in the future.

Reaction Score
Two things that Tristen does well….

1) Get trapped by double teams.
2) Score to stop runs.
The second half turnovers against the trap were maddening. That's nothing that can't be fixed in practice. at 6'5", he can see over the traps and make the necessary pass. Diarra was limping at the end of the game and Hawkins had been out of the flow for so long that Newton and Jackson were the two choices for ball handling in that end of game situation.

Reaction Score
Tristen didn’t have a great game but still found ways to come up big when it was needed. I think he’ll learn from last nights game and while I expect more trapping by our opponents I don’t think we’ll see many defenses as tough and aggressive as ISU.

Reaction Score
And get to the free throw line often...
Yes, this is Newton's super power. His ability to draw fouls is elite. Such a valuable skill too.

Newton is #5 in the country in made free throws this year (leading all major conference players) and is #7 in the country in free throws attempted. He is shooting 80% at the line which is good, but last year he shot almost 90% so still some room for improvement there.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Just needs to get rid of the ball quicker. At times he was Craig Austrie ball pounding out there.

Hey, can we update that to "Jalen Gaffney ball pounding"?

Reaction Score
If there's 4 sec left on the clock and we're down by 2 or tied, you want him taking the shot, right? If it's a 3 point game I'd draw something up for Hawk, but if I need 1-2 points, gimme Newton right now.

Reaction Score
If there's 4 sec left on the clock and we're down by 2 or tied, you want him taking the shot, right? If it's a 3 point game I'd draw something up for Hawk, but if I need 1-2 points, gimme Newton right now.
Strangely if there’s 4 seconds left, the shot I want is a Hassan Diarra contested step back 3

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
He needs to be better with the ball when pressed or doubled. Too many times he got caught near the out of bounds area and turned the ball over. That’s my only gripe with him. He’s been top notch and will turn the ball over less in the coming games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom