Trevecca Nazarene Game Final Stats | The Boneyard

Trevecca Nazarene Game Final Stats

Reaction Score
1573091158316.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Awful 2nd half. No way to sugar coat it. Team looked slow, somewhat disinterested, disjointed, sloppy, and just flat out bad.

Having said that, a lot of good things from the first half. Adebayo looked better, Bent and Irwin both looked good with other starters on the floor, Griffin will be special - so much potential, and while Makurat may never make a highlight reel for flash or speed, she sure does everything well, especially seeing the floor and passing.

Megs was a beast, Christyn looked solid, and Crystal kept the team humming. Olivia was constantly double teamed but managed to have an impact without forcing things.

Some good things, and some bad things. Plenty of time to improve...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Walker is going to be a beast this year.

Walker 28 points on 11/12 shooting, Griffin 12 points on 5/5 with 4 assists. Nelson-Ododa 5 assists and a block with her armpit (I want to say 2-3 more blocks, too).

Olivia certainly appears to be turning into a great-passing post. UConn tends to win championships when they have a great-passing post.

Yeah, it was an awful second half, but this is the time to have those. I'm cautiously optimistic given the play of Olivia and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Awful 2nd half. No way to sugar coat it. Team looked slow, somewhat disinterested, disjointed, sloppy, and just flat out bad.

Having said that, a lot of good things from the first half. Adebayo looked better, Bent and Irwin both looked good with other starters on the floor, Griffin will be special - so much potential, and while Makurat may never make a highlight reel for flash or speed, she sure does everything well, especially seeing the floor and passing.

Megs was a beast, Christyn looked solid, and Crystal kept the team humming. Olivia was constantly double teamed but managed to have an impact without forcing things.

It looked like Bent had her problems, looked out of sync too shaky out there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Irwin hit enough 3's these two games to give one serious pause to wonder if she can be counted to do that in real time when the game is still undecided. :rolleyes:

I hope Aubrey gets some "meaningful" minutes Sunday. I'm curious to see what she can do against Div 1 competition. She had 12 pts. tonight.

ONO hit 3 turn-a-round jumpers on the block tonight. If she can do that on a consistent basis, that will be a huge plus for the team. They will run those plays for her on the block.

Pass of the game: a fast break pass from Anna to Aubrey for 2 late in the first half.

Block of the game: ONO goes all the way out to the corner and deflects a 3 point attempt that then fell way short of the rim. It's not often you see a player get a shot taken behind he arc in the corner blocked. ONO closed quickly on the shooter and used those long arms to get it done. ;)

OK, we've all been sufficiently "teased" with these two exhibition games (appetizers). Now bring on the main course, we're ready. Sunday can't get here soon enough. Cal opens up their season on the road against Harvard on Friday. That game will be featured on ESPN+ at 7:00 pm,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Geno said Walker was moving faster I didn't expect her to be as quick as she's become. She looks really comfortable no matter where she's playing and she's like a totally new player.

Live is looking more confident when she's playing. Her passing is looking good. The last piece of the puzzle for Liv will be to consistently make shots in close rather than overshooting it to the other size of the basket.

Molly and Kyla have played well and both have played confidently. Their play with a backdoor cut and bounce pass for an easy layup was beautiful. I hope they can do this against tougher competition because I would love to see them at least flourish as role players.

Overall not a bad game. Maybe a bad second half, but I think that will be worked out in practice so it won't happen again.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Both teams scored 25 points in the second half, if UConn does that against Cal they have a problem. They were very sloppy in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
I was just watching Geno in the post game interview. He said that the second half was the plan...they were told to stop running and play a more controlled offense. There was no reason to keep running and scoring 140 points and not learn anything (paraphrasing).
Hmm.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is what I wrote on another thread while sitting at the game at halftime. The post was deleted and the thread was locked, presumably because it was starting to resemble a "game thread" that is supposed to be confined to a chat room.

I'm sitting in the arena at halftime, and I have to say that I am very impressed with UConn's offensive sharpness and coordination. Some observations:

1. If this game is any indication, Megan is playing at an AA level, almost a Maya level. If this continues against serious competition, she could be an NPOY candidate.

2. Aubrey Griffin will be in the starting lineup sooner than we think, maybe on Sunday. She is showing amazing scoring talent, and she seems to be "getting" even the complex plays on offense.

3. Molly is playing really well in limited minutes. She missed a layup, but made up for it by forcing two turnovers on inbounds plays.

Although the second half was disappointing in comparison, I stand by the above comments. And (to reply to one responder on the other thread) no, I am not saying that Megan should be anointed as the new Maya based on two exhibition games. I clearly qualified that statement by saying "If this game is any indication ..." and "If this continues against serious competition ...".

In contrast to one person's comment above, I thought Molly played well tonight. She knew exactly where she was supposed to be, and whom she was supposed to pass to, and she did that. She did miss a layup and a 3-point shot, but that seems to me to be far less important than her competent play within the offense.

Jingo's forecast about Aubrey's offensive talent is looking more plausible to me, although I still don't expect her to be the leading scorer this year (not with Megan and Christyn on the team).

Carnac

Reaction Score
When Geno said Walker was moving faster I didn't expect her to be as quick as she's become. She looks really comfortable no matter where she's playing and she's like a totally new player.

Liv is looking more confident when she's playing. Her passing is looking good. The last piece of the puzzle for Liv will be to consistently make shots in close rather than overshooting it to the other size of the basket.

Molly and Kyla have played well and both have played confidently. Their play with a backdoor cut and bounce pass for an easy layup was beautiful. I hope they can do this against tougher competition because I would love to see them at least flourish as role players.

Overall not a bad game. Maybe a bad second half, but I think that will be worked out in practice so it won't happen again.

Liv should have settled into her own personal "comfort zone" (10 games into the season) after the holiday break. She will have had enough playing time, and enough success to warrant that comfort.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here is what I wrote on another thread while sitting at the game at halftime. The post was deleted and the thread was locked, presumably because it was starting to resemble a "game thread" that is supposed to be confined to a chat room.

I'm sitting in the arena at halftime, and I have to say that I am very impressed with UConn's offensive sharpness and coordination. Some observations:

1. If this game is any indication, Megan is playing at an AA level, almost a Maya level. If this continues against serious competition, she could be an NPOY candidate.

2. Aubrey Griffin will be in the starting lineup sooner than we think, maybe on Sunday. She is showing amazing scoring talent, and she seems to be "getting" even the complex plays on offense.

3. Molly is playing really well in limited minutes. She missed a layup, but made up for it by forcing two turnovers on inbounds plays.

Although the second half was disappointing in comparison, I stand by the above comments. And (to reply to one responder on the other thread) no, I am not saying that Megan should be anointed as the new Maya based on two exhibition games. I clearly qualified that statement by saying "If this game is any indication ..." and "If this continues against serious competition ...".

In contrast to one person's comment above, I thought Molly played well tonight. She knew exactly where she was supposed to be, and whom she was supposed to pass to, and she did that. She did miss a layup and a 3-point shot, but that seems to me to be far less important than her competent play within the offense.

Jingo's forecast about Aubrey's offensive talent is looking more plausible to me, although I still don't expect her to be the leading scorer this year (not with Megan and Christyn on the team).

Thanks for the "in-person" game report and observations Joe. Some things just don't come across on TV like they do when you're in the arena. I agree with your observation about Aubrey starting sooner than we think. The more she plays, the faster she learns, and the quicker she'll settle down and settle in. She doesn't hurt the team when she's out there. If Geno does start her and she proves shes not ready, Geno can always plug in someone else.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Think there's almost no chance of Griffin starting this season, but I do think she'll play a lot because she doesn't look overmatched and because the team looks six deep again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After watching Uconn since 1994, this was the worst half since Stanford held them to 12. Absolute garbage. Totally disgusted.

Reaction Score
I didn't know this game is for Dangerfield.

Trevecca Women's Basketball will play at UConn November 6th to kick off Crystal Dangerfield's senior year. Dangerfield played for Chad Hibdon at Murfreesboro Blackman where they won a prep national championship and Dangerfield was named national player of the year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn Women's Basketball Postgame (Trevecca Nazarene) - Aubrey Griffin

Welcome to Division 1 "elite" WCBB. Aubrey said she's had to learn to play a different kind of BB. It's nothing like HS. As a freshman, everyone is bigger, stronger, faster and more mature (experienced) than you. So you're at a distinct disadvantage until you begin to close some of those gaps. There's no substitute for experience. Right now, Aubrey does not have any. She's a sponge trying to soak up everything given to her as quickly as possible.

“What you’re seeing from her, other people on our team can’t do, and that’s special to have as a freshman," Dangerfield said of Griffin. Auriemma has previously said that while Griffin’s development as a basketball player will take some time, he doesn’t think anyone that’s been through his program has been a better athlete than she, and after Sunday, Auriemma was even more encouraged about Griffin’s “huge, huge upside.”

“She’s not quite sure yet where to go, how to do certain things, but she’s really really good at what she’s good at, which is play pretty good defense, and be a factor in transition," Auriemma said. "Offensive rebounding, she’s really good. She made a couple really good plays today passing the ball.”

She will gain that experience with each game and learn from it. She'll be a much more confident player in mid January with about 15-16 games under her belt than she is now. The game will have slowed down for her some by then. That's also about the time most freshmen hit that proverbial wall. Plus the fact that she'll be playing against "mid-major" level competition in conference play. THAT will help.

Oh, btw, Aubrey was perfect tonight from the field and the stripe, 5/5 & 2/2. That's something to build on going into the season.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Cal opens up their season on the road against Harvard on Friday (Nov 8). That game will be featured on ESPN+ at 7:00 pm,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno's Post game

He speaks glowingly about Aubrey and Anna's personality. To paraphrase a bit, I really like to coach them They are going to play

Regarding the difference between 1st and 2nd half, they tried to work on their half court stuff with very mixed results. If they wanted to run like half one, they could have got 140 pts but what is the point.

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey will be conference sixth player of the year. Anna is the starter. She’s a presence on the floor and a great passer. When she’s on the floor, my eye goes to her, even if she doesn’t have the ball. That tells me something. Of course, if the waiver appeal succeeds all this probably needs to be revised.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:
  • Megan reminds me of the player I watched in HS when I used to live in Chesterfield, VA. She is confident and looks like she’s in complete control of the game, capable of doing whatever is necessary to win.
  • The evolution of Liv’s game is fantastic. She’s blocking shots all the way out to the perimeter, has developed a nice turnaround jumper from 15’ and is turning into an outstanding passer from the high post. Liv is the most important player on this team and her upside is huge.
  • In 80 minutes of preseason games, UConn has played exactly 0 minutes of zone. What they have played is a far more aggressive man-to-man defense, pressuring opponents all over the court. The key to sustaining this kind of defense is depth and a rim protector at the back end. It’s still early, but it looks like UConn checks both of those boxes.
  • On offense, it is also clear that UConn plans to run off of TO’s, missed baskets and made baskets, essentially all the time. I know the game was a mismatch, but it’s not easy to score 74 pts in a half against anyone.
  • I still don’t think we know for sure who the 5th starter will be. Anna found her shot yesterday, Aubrey continues to impress, it appears that Kyla might just be the best 3-pt shooter on the team and we’re still waiting on Evina’s appeal. Stay tuned.
  • I’m not really concerned about the 2nd half. Geno subbed liberally and clearly UConn was under orders to shut down their own fast break offense. The Huskies do need work on their set offense. It will come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom