Tremont Waters | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone have insights into just what happened with UConn and Tremont Waters? I seem to recall the coaches spending a lot of time on him starting in eighth grade, yet he originally committed to Georgetown and then reopened recruiting after Thompson was fired.
How do you go from being recruited by Ivy League schools, and committing to Georgetown, and then end up in Baton Rouge? Hardly an academic powerhouse and no meaningful history in basketball other than a few great players having starred there.
One story I recall said UConn lost interest. If that is the case, it's a major recruiting debacle and a mystery as to why they would lose interest. Too small to be interchangeable? Seems Kemba and Shabazz were too small too.
Waters is fast, healthy, and smart. No injuries like Gilbert. No joking around attitude and sometimes lackadaisical play like Adams. And, from his stats at the Maui Classic and other games this year, he's averaging 30 minutes, 20 points, and shooting 55% on field goals, 50% on three point field goals, 83% at the line, and 4 assists per game.
How did we pass on him and/or why did he pass on UConn?

Reaction Score
Hardly an academic powerhouse
Disagree. Depends on what you go there for. I have a friend who went there, they have a good business school. They are one of the better public schools in the country.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Discussed in multiple other threads here, but short story is he never had any real interest in UConn and he wanted to be THE guard at his school of choice which he wouldn’t have been at UConn. Also his dad seems to be a piece work helicopter parent.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Depends on what you go there for. I have a friend who went there, they have a good business school. They are one of the better public schools in the country.

Your response after reading that was to defend LSU's academic reputation? Regarding academics, LSU doesn't hold a candle to Georgetown (or UConn for that matter).

To answer the OPs question - he/his dad didn't want to go to UConn.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
LSU is tied for 63rd in the nation for best public school. That's not "one of the better."

Also Baton Rogue sucks and the campus is a dump.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Does anyone have insights into just what happened with UConn and Tremont Waters? I seem to recall the coaches spending a lot of time on him starting in eighth grade, yet he originally committed to Georgetown and then reopened recruiting after Thompson was fired.
How do you go from being recruited by Ivy League schools, and committing to Georgetown, and then end up in Baton Rouge? Hardly an academic powerhouse and no meaningful history in basketball other than a few great players having starred there.
One story I recall said UConn lost interest. If that is the case, it's a major recruiting debacle and a mystery as to why they would lose interest. Too small to be interchangeable? Seems Kemba and Shabazz were too small too.
Waters is fast, healthy, and smart. No injuries like Gilbert. No joking around attitude and sometimes lackadaisical play like Adams. And, from his stats at the Maui Classic and other games this year, he's averaging 30 minutes, 20 points, and shooting 55% on field goals, 50% on three point field goals, 83% at the line, and 4 assists per game.
How did we pass on him and/or why did he pass on UConn?

Reaction Score
Probably because they didn't. A bit of honesty from the supposed guy in the know would be nice too. $$$$$$ and playing time were the key and while he certainly would've rec'd just that with his talent he wasn't ever guaranteed that from KO with AG and JA there, that's honesty. And they didn't have enough in the petty cash box for dad either. Don't mislead the OP here Chief because you don't know and don't want to admit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Disagree.

Reaction Score
Probably because they didn't. A bit of honesty from the supposed guy in the know would be nice too. $$$$$$ and playing time were the key and while he certainly would've rec'd just that with his talent he wasn't ever guaranteed that from KO with AG and JA there, that's honesty. And they didn't have enough in the petty cash box for dad either. Don't mislead the OP here Chief because you don't know and don't want to admit.
We really need to stop saying $$ about every recruit we miss out on, not a good look.

Reaction Score
We really need to stop saying $$ about every recruit we miss out on, not a good look.

It's not on every sj, just the one's that are obvious. And don't point at mine when you say "we" please.

WE also shouldn't be harping every recruit we missed on when it's over already, be WE do.;)

Reaction Score
LSU is tied for 63rd in the nation for best public school. That's not "one of the better."

Also Baton Rogue sucks and the campus is a dump.
UConn is ranked 18th. LSU is a lot closer to "worst" than "best."

Reaction Score
Do we need another thread... best of luck and let's move on. Recruiting has to be viewed like speed dating. If they move on o well.....

Reaction Score
It's not on every sj, just the one's that are obvious. And don't point at mine when you say "we" please.
Huh? You said $$$ and playing time are the reason he didn't come here. How on earth do you know that $$ exchanged hands for him to go to LSU?

Reaction Score
We would have had another Vance Jackson/Daddy situation. The kid can ball, and LSU seems like a good fit for him to lead their program.

Reaction Score
Huh? You said $$$ and playing time are the reason he didn't come here. How on earth do you know that $$ exchanged hands for him to go to LSU?

You said "always" about every recruit. I don't ALWAYS john so don't go there. And I don't know but follow the process john. How do you know about anything you say, you don't you're guessing like everyone else. Get off the all high and mighty crap will ya.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Do we need another thread... best of luck and let's move on. Recruiting has to be viewed like speed dating. If they move on o well.....
New poster. Reasonable concerned question.

At a later date we’ll inform him about wings and “Rocks”, 20 minutes, Hilton Units, testiculoes, dot, dot, dot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, we need to stop claiming that every recruit ‘wants to be the man’ and is afraid of our roster which includes a couple of players we never heard of three days before they committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom