Tremont Waters doesn't want to go to Georgetown | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters doesn't want to go to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like our guards too. I just think we have shown total incompetence in recruiting complete offensive players with a jump shot. Tremont Waters may be another Shabazz, who I identified as a solution to our problems before we were even recruiting him (Not so humble brag). I like small, highly skilled guards at the college level. They have a refinement to their game missing in more physically gifted players.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I like our guards too. I just think we have shown total incompetence in recruiting complete offensive players with a jump shot. Tremont Waters may be another Shabazz, who I identified as a solution to our problems before we were even recruiting him (Not so humble brag). I like small, highly skilled guards at the college level. They have a refinement to their game missing in more physically gifted players.

The phrase "total incompetence" in regards to the staff's decision to prioritize MAL over Waters is a touch strong...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Mostly valid points being thrown around ... I'd always love a kid with his particular game and skills ...

But at this point it seems a bit much to think there's much mutual interest ...

And our guards are the ones I'm the most excited about, so I guess we should chalk it up to bad timing/circumstances.

Reaction Score
The phrase "total incompetence" in regards to the staff's decision to prioritize MAL over Waters is a touch strong...

It has nothing to do with MAL. It is more about the staff's total incompetence in recruiting complete offensive players----which is rather obvious. I don't mean to be a jerk, just saying, we don't have complete offensive players. We really don't, and it is killing us game after game. We are always hoping for someone to step up and catch fire. We need a couple of guys that always score a handful of points no matter what.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with MAL. It is more about the staff's total incompetence in recruiting complete offensive players----which is rather obvious. I don't mean to be a jerk, just saying, we don't have complete offensive players. We really don't, and it is killing us game after game. We are always hoping for someone to step up and catch fire. We need a couple of guys that always score a handful of points no matter what.

How many recruits in the current 2017 class would you qualify as "complete offensive players" besides Waters?

I'll add that we did have players like that on this year's roster, but they were either a) hampered by nagging injuries, or b) injured long-term.

Reaction Score
How many recruits in the current 2017 class would you qualify as "complete offensive players" besides Waters?

I'll add that we did have players like that on this year's roster, but they were either a) hampered by nagging injuries, or b) injured long-term.

First, I'm not being specific. I'm looking at the product on the floor. Nobody has to play dumb and act like we have great scorers. We don't. Jalen is our most complete player and he's an ok shooter. Otherwise, we are so so in this department. We don't have reliable scorers to this point.

Tremont Waters is a scorer. He may be limited physically or defensively, I don't know, but he is a scorer off the dribble and from deep.

The best player in terms of overall talent that was out with injury was Durham. Beyond that, Larrier was a decent offensive player but his jumper is inconsistent. Gilbert couldn't shoot. Lots of work to do this summer for those guys.

Don't get caught up in the negative of what I'm saying. MAL looks good, I like him. He is a vital recruit for the program. However, we need efficient and refined scorers. There is simply no sane way to deny that. It's been going on for a long time. Without Bazz and Boat, we were really struggling for points.

Reaction Score
First, I'm not being specific. I'm looking at the product on the floor. Nobody has to play dumb and act like we have great scorers. We don't. Jalen is our most complete player and he's an ok shooter. Otherwise, we are so so in this department. We don't have reliable scorers to this point.

Tremont Waters is a scorer. He may be limited physically or defensively, I don't know, but he is a scorer off the dribble and from deep.

The best player in terms of overall talent that was out with injury was Durham. Beyond that, Larrier was a decent offensive player but his jumper is inconsistent. Gilbert couldn't shoot. Lots of work to do this summer for those guys.

Don't get caught up in the negative of what I'm saying. MAL looks good, I like him. He is a vital recruit for the program. However, we need efficient and refined scorers. There is simply no sane way to deny that. It's been going on for a long time. Without Bazz and Boat, we were really struggling for points.
How do you suggest we do this?

Reaction Score

So you think Waters would come here(he's not so I don't even know why this debate is even raging on) and step on the court as an efficient scorer from day 1? Bazz was one of the best players in program history, he was an inefficient scorer for 2 seasons, same with Kemba. Jalen is tracking along just fine, he should be a monster next season and he'll have better offensive talent next to him. We've got a very good group of guards and we should have a nice set of wings in Larrier and Jackson, finding 1.5 bigs who can function with that group is really the only issue of concern with me and Waters isn't addressing that.

Reaction Score
Heard cuse is his safety but his father is trying for a possible blue blood school

Reaction Score
Heard IU and uk for the blue blood. Long shot might be duke
I'd think whoever misses out on Duval will be in on him, plus IU. Could see Kansas even getting back into it. Anywhere is better than the fruit

Reaction Score
And here are the stats to back that up

Here is how they compare under the relevant Kenpom Stats

ORtg eFG% ARate TORate Stl % FTRate

Shabazz 107.4 47.3 56 20.7 2.9 42.3
Kemba 105.3 45.4 29.1 20.0 3.4 56.4
Boat 103.3 49.0 27 19 2.5 42.3
Adams 101.1 45.1 39.3 27 1.9 23.8

Edit: I cannot figure how to make this look pretty but in summary outside of Assist Rate he had a worse sophmore than all of them.

Reaction Score

Edit: I cannot figure how to make this look pretty but in summary outside of Assist Rate he had a worse sophmore than all of them.
Its important to remember that boat and bazz had each other along with a better team. It was more difficult for Jalen with the entire teams deffensive game plan focused on him

Reaction Score

Attachments

• UConn PG Sophs.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members