OT: - Travelers Championship | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Championship

Reaction Score
FIGJAM .....hitting BOMBS in The Well.

Amazing field this year when many thought getting top players would be a challenge because the us open is at pebble. These guys must all be planning on making a quick pit stop before heading across the pond.

Whoever is responsible for attracting players at the travelers is doing an incredible job!!!

Reaction Score
Spieth isn't coming back? I thought after his win last year he said "I cant wait till next year" Same with Rory I thought he said he was coming back since Saturday and Sunday he played awesome.

Reaction Score
Rory said it’d be tough for him to commit this year since the U.S. Open is on the west coast.

Reaction Score
This is the worst week they could have picked. As usual the PGA Tour does Hartford no favors.

And what's with Tiger? - Hartford had the second African American winner in tour history, first in the north and for years Hartford had the only African American title sponsor on the tour -The Sammy Davis Junior - Greater Hartford Open. Yet Tiger has conscious skipped the place with probably the deepest African American history for his entire career.

Reaction Score
Spieth isn't coming back? I thought after his win last year he said "I cant wait till next year" Same with Rory I thought he said he was coming back since Saturday and Sunday he played awesome.
Spieth won 2 years ago. Bubba won last year

Reaction Score
This is the worst week they could have picked. As usual the PGA Tour does Hartford no favors.

And what's with Tiger? - Hartford had the second African American winner in tour history, first in the north and for years Hartford had the only African American title sponsor on the tour -The Sammy Davis Junior - Greater Hartford Open. Yet Tiger has conscious skipped the place with probably the deepest African American history for his entire career.

$$$$$. He wants a large sum of money donated to his foundation to get a commitment out of him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There isn't much of a reason to watch Spieth anymore.

Tourney has a good track record for past five years or so of getting most of Top 20 in the world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bubba won last year.

Bubba is getting a bunch of press with his new sponsorship and spokesman role with a CBD manufacturer/distributor.

PGA says the CBD is legal but since industry is mostly unregulated players are on their own if the fail a test due to poor quality control of the drug.

Reaction Score

Not sure why you say the PGA Tour did Hartford no favors. The Travelers has been played the week after the US Open since 2007. Some would say that the tournament was saved when Travelers stepped in as lead sponsor and the tournament week was set in stone as the week after the US Open. It is so much easier to plan and run a golf tournament when your time slot is set in stone. Before 2007, the Travelers (and previous names) were a nomad tournament playing at random times each year which was negatively impacting the tournament:

2006: July 2
2005: August 28
2004: August 29
2003: July 27
2002: June 23
2001: July 1
2002: July 2
1999: August 1
1998: July 5
1997: July 27
1996: June 30
1995: June 25

Reaction Score
FIGJAM .....hitting BOMBS in The Well.

Amazing field this year when many thought getting top players would be a challenge because the us open is at pebble. These guys must all be planning on making a quick pit stop before heading across the pond.

Whoever is responsible for attracting players at the travelers is doing an incredible job!!!
That would be tournament director Nathan Grube.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

More specifically, today I heard that Tiger named his kid after Charlie Sifford, the first African-American to win a PGA event. And that tournament was the GHO.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My friend who has been to tons of golf tournaments including US Open, Masters, PGA Championships, etc. thinks very highly of the GHO (dating myself!). He said the golfers love all the attention they get and feel that the crowds are the most involved and most importantly very well behaved. He wears his GHO/SDJr/Travelers shirts and hats on his countrywide golf watching tour and a lot of pros remark about the tournament.
I agree that the dates sometimes suck but even if they do, the tournament attracts a real nice field

Reaction Score

Not sure all of that is the furthest thing from Tiger’s mind when setting his schedule but it’s probably close.

Reaction Score
The week after the U.S. Open is not a terrible date. You can't play it before as you can't count on decent weather, and you don't want to play it later as the best players start prepping for the Open Championship. The late July and August dates all suck, and will even moreso now that the PGA has been moved. The season is effectively over the Claret Jug is awarded . . .

Reaction Score
This is a fantastic field considering the US Open is in California, part of the reason we had such a great field last year was because of the US Open being in NY. Even if Tiger, DJ, Spieth and Rory don't come this year the tournament still has an incredibly respectable field.

Part of the reason this tournament has seen so much success is that the easier course is a great change of pace for players just coming off arguably the toughest tournament of the year. Also the purse has steadily increased each year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Part of the reason this tournament has seen so much success is that the easier course is a great change of pace for players just coming off arguably the toughest tournament of the year. Also the purse has steadily increased each year.
But it's not that easy. You don't usually see big scores for four days running, it seems to toughen up as they go.

Reaction Score
But it's not that easy. You don't usually see big scores for four days running, it seems to toughen up as they go.
No doubt, but the travelers is without question a tournament where golfers need to score to win, whereas the US Open typically is more about grinding out each hole and avoiding big numbers.

Reaction Score
I love the 15th hole. I sat there for two hours once just taking in everyone's strategy. I think I only caught one eagle. I saw many just missing getting on the green and ending up with really tough lies, lucky making par.
hitting it into the water/ right woods must be so deflating. Golfers who lay up should have a relatively good chance at birdie, so I disagree that it's a tough par, but completely agree that taking in everyone's strategy is fun

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom