OT: - Travel abroad anyone? | The Boneyard

OT: Travel abroad anyone?

Reaction Score
Has anyone travelled abroad since Covid outbreak in March? Where did you go, for how long, what was your experience like?
I'd like to go back to Europe and hope next year it will be possible for me & wife

Reaction Score
You can go to the UK and quarantine for 14 days. That’s about it. I’ve heard they don’t take too kindly to American tourists at pubs at the moment. Given how things are going with colleges starting up, I’m guessing we can expect to be banned from the rest of the world until a vaccine is well distributed.

Reaction Score
Already told the in-laws in Arizona it's a no-go for Christmas this year, so instead we'll spend two weeknights at Getaway in the Catskills and hopefully get some snowboarding in.

We also have a sizable credit from Icelandair after our five year anniversary plans got canned. Hopefully we can use it next summer.

We'll see: no rush, but I do enjoy refocusing my travel attention to short drive trips. It's also nice to know that the next trip we take won't cost much money, if at all, out of pocket due to our travel credits.

Reaction Score
I love traveling. I had two trips to Connecticut and a trip to Ireland cancelled this year due to COVID. I had tentative plans to visit the Yucatan, also. Was lucky to get most of my money back for prepaid arrangements. Others I know weren't so lucky. Cannot wait for the borders to reopen to American visitors. I'm ready to go!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You really need a strong reason to be travelling for business to get in to almost any foreign country, have a verified corona negative test and still quarantine.

I know a few who have travelled internationally. I had a trip scheduled for Jul/Aug to England. Was going through the wickets of getting everything done when trip was cancelled for non-covid reasons.

I still have a chance of travelling in November/December.

Reaction Score
Americans are not welcome and I don't know if people from other countries are traveling and flying freer than us. Anybody?

Reaction Score
Americans are not welcome and I don't know if people from other countries are traveling and flying freer than us. Anybody?

The irony is that people traveling within the EU is what's spreading it further there.

Reaction Score
I believe Brazil and Mexico borders are open. Two more covid hot spots. So much fun!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The irony is that people traveling within the EU is what's spreading it further there.

Well, since Americans can't travel there, it does start to limit external spreading.

Reaction Score
There will be a time for world travel again. For now take this opportunity to see the US. We have so much to offer for travel destinations. Spend the money here, our country could use it.
Unfortunately, even in some U.S. states you have to quarantine for 14 days before you can go out. Connecticut fined people $1,000 for not complying. I guess I could do more exploring in Florida, but I've already seen much of it.

Reaction Score
The US passport is useless at this point for leisure travel. There are less than 20 countries that will grant entry. Brazil will allow you in for less than 3 weeks for business or humanitarian reasons. Some Central American and Caribbean countries are free to enter. I believe Turkey is allowing Americans. The US Passport, once the strongest, has become one of the weakest to have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a wedding anniversary coming up and we were planning to go to the Greek Islands. But that's obviously out. Want to go somewhere warm so we're thinking maybe the Caribbean. Maybe Aruba. Anyone been down to the Caribbean during the pandemic? I'm not scared about the flying experience. I just won't talk to anyone and you have to wear masks on the flight. Looks like Aruba will allow U.S. citizens as long as you get a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of arrival. According to their tourist website everyone has to wear masks. Similar rules to Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The US passport is useless at this point for leisure travel. There are less than 20 countries that will grant entry. Brazil will allow you in for less than 3 weeks for business or humanitarian reasons. Some Central American and Caribbean countries are free to enter. I believe Turkey is allowing Americans. The US Passport, once the strongest, has become one of the weakest to have.

Truthfully, international leisure travel should be discouraged until there is a vaccine. World is much more connected than ever.

Reaction Score
The US passport is useless at this point for leisure travel. There are less than 20 countries that will grant entry. Brazil will you in for less than 3 weeks for business or humanitarian reasons. Some Central American and Caribbean countries are free to enter. I believe Turkey is allowing Americans. The US Passport, once the strongest, has become one of the weakest to have.

The following two articles don't support your contentions. Travel is restricted in Europe and elsewhere and there are 39 countries allowing Americans to enter, some with pretty basic requirements and others more demanding if you test positive on entry:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There will be a time for world travel again. For now take this opportunity to see the US. We have so much to offer for travel destinations. Spend the money here, our country could use it.

And what, eat fast food takeout everywhere?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, even in some U.S. states you have to quarantine for 14 days before you can go out. Connecticut fined people $1,000 for not complying. I guess I could do more exploring in Florida, but I've already seen much of it.
Head west, young man

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Take the yeti cooler and the Coleman stove

We have very different concepts of destination travel and vacation. I do enjoy camping as a weekend getaway within a few hours of home, but my hiking/riverrunning days are over, and if I'm taking a vacation these days, one of the first things I'm looking at is where the good chefs are and who's got the comfiest mattresses.

Reaction Score
We have very different concepts of destination travel and vacation. I do enjoy camping as a weekend getaway within a few hours of home, but my hiking/riverrunning days are over, and if I'm taking a vacation these days, one of the first things I'm looking at is where the good chefs are and who's got the comfiest mattresses.
Sounds like 2022

Reaction Score
Was in Cabo for 3 weeks. Probably going to go back soon. No issues at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom