Trap games before . . . | The Boneyard

Trap games before . . .

Reaction Score
The current NET #1 vs #2 game of SCar at UConn? Could that luster get tarnished?

SCar has Vandy., Arkansas, Bama and Kentucky. Kentucky did “trap” us last year before the NCAAs but this ain’t the same Wildcat team. Arky and Bama ain’t bad. Better than Mizzou was last year when they ambushed us.

UConn has Butler, DePaul, Tennessee, Villanova and Providence . Thoughts???

Reaction Score
Can’t see South Carolina dropping any games prior to the Uconn matchup. The SEC seems to be having an off year, and with LSU and Tennessee posing as the biggest challengers, I don’t see any of the other teams listed beating them.

For Uconn, a lot depends on how healthy the roster is. In years past DePaul was always a threat given their offensive prowess. Not as much this year. Tennessee has the potential, and Villanova has been the only big east squad to snag a win from Uconn. Given how condensed the upcoming schedule is, I could see Uconn dropping one of those two games if the roster remains at 7.

But if I was a betting man, neither team loses before the matchup.

Reaction Score
The current NET #1 vs #2 game of SCar at UConn? Could that luster get tarnished?

SCar has Vandy., Arkansas, Bama and Kentucky. Kentucky did “trap” us last year before the NCAAs but this ain’t the same Wildcat team. Arky and Bama ain’t bad. Better than Mizzou was last year when they ambushed us.

More likely thay CT sees a defeat against the teams they are scheduled to play vs. SC's upcoming opponents. Just sayin'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, right now the South Carolina game isn’t on the radar. When you were navigating the shoals, your eyes aren’t on the horizon.

In any event, given how depleted our team is, I’m just hoping we survive being on the same court with the nigh invincible Gamecocks.

Reaction Score
Who knows if the South Carolina game will even happen and if it does who will even be playing for Uconn, let alone if we will fall into a "trap" game before hand. There are no trap games for Uconn right now with the severe injury and health issues on team, every game is expected to be a battle.

Reaction Score
Lol, right now the South Carolina game isn’t on the radar. When you were navigating the shoals, your eyes aren’t on the horizon.

In any event, given how depleted our team is, I’m just hoping we survive being on the same court with the nigh invincible Gamecocks.
Now, now.

Let’s not talk about the game / yet. Let’s be like the players and focus on the more immediate games.

Are you talking about “ nigh invincible Gamecocks” who have never won in Storrs?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now, now.

Let’s not talk about the game / yet. Let’s be like the players and focus on the more immediate games.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
If we are not more healthy, plenty of teams could be trap games. Even if we are pretty healthy, we still should not consider the outcome against Tennessee a given, so I think after Tennessee is the time to start assessing the South Carolina game.

I like our chances against Tennessee, but after a terrible start, they have been coming on lately, and we don't know if Azzi, Caroline or Ayanna will be available for that game or not. All three could be ready to go, or none of them could be. Both extremes are possible at this point, and even if they are back for that game, they might not have had a couple of games before that to get back into the groove before the big game.

As long as we have only 7 players available, 2 of which we would not use in a competitive game if everyone was available, We cannot look ahead. It is day by day, game by game, until more of the roster is available IMO.

Reaction Score
Still to early?

SCar has . . . , Bama and Kentucky. (Kentucky did “trap” us last year before the NCAAs but this ain’t the same Wildcat team. Bama ain’t bad. Better than Mizzou was last year when they ambushed us.

UConn has . . . , Villanova and Providence .

Thoughts???

Reaction Score
I see Villanova as a potential trap game for us. The team had to get "up" for the Tennessee game, and it's mentally hard to get that intensity back 3 days later for Villanova (to say nothing of the physical recovery). So without the proper mindset and rest, there's definitely potential for a Villanova upset. That said, I think our players and staff will be on guard against that.

Assuming we get past Villanova (which I think we will), I wouldn't be surprised to see a slow start against Providence, but I don't think Providence has the horses to pull off the upset, even if we only bring our B game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m glad the ‘Nova game is in Connecticut. Maddie Siegrist is an All American and a more mature and experienced player than the BEast’s other AA, Aneesah Morrow. They have a fine PG in Lucy Olsen - it will be fun to see the matchup against Nika. Villanova hasn’t played since Jan 20th; they’ll be well-rested. This game is no gimme

Reaction Score
Agree. Villanova has trap written all over it. Huskies have to be ready.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. UConn and still=distant LSU are dominating the minds of our gals.

Kentucky upset us last year, but I think they don't have a chance this year. Lost too much talent and we had an easy win over them earlier this season.

Bama is a middle of the road sec team. We've beaten them the last straight 20 games - which means we will probably overlook them and could get "trapped." Unlikely but not impossible.

Reaction Score
...if the roster remains at 7

As long as we have only 7 players available
I count 8. Geno didn't put Ines into the TN game, but she traveled, dressed and warmed up with the team. She may not see time in the toughest games ahead, but I'm sure she'll some in conference games (as she has in recent weeks).

Reaction Score
Let's face it. UConn and still=distant LSU are dominating the minds of our gals.

Kentucky upset us last year, but I think they don't have a chance this year. Lost too much talent and we had an easy win over them earlier this season.

Bama is a middle of the road sec team. We've beaten them the last straight 20 games - which means we will probably overlook them and could get "trapped." Unlikely but not impossible.
Can't see SC losing a game (until UConn ;):p) unless they have a major letdown and the opposing team plays lights out. LSU might end up being a tough match but not that tough.

I have only watched the Gamecocks sporadically this season, but they remind of the way UConn has some truly dreadful games where they still manage to keep the MOV big at the end by pulling it together at some point. The only real wildcard is a possible injury (I hope not). In that case I think it would be a mental/emotional letdown rather than lack of talent or Dawn being out coached.

Reaction Score

No trap games are needed. No other theories are needed. There is no chance in hell that we can beat South Carolina with our five starters. South Carolina has a bench that would start for most teams. We have a bench equal to the bench players of many of the Big East also rans. Be honest; coach played Patterson for 10 minutes, and she mostly just took up space. Amari turned the ball over the moment she got in the game, and was immediately removed never to reappear. Ines was given no opportunity. And Azzi and Caroline wont be ready. The game against SC is dangerous because injuries can happen to exhausted players. We have only five.

Reaction Score
No trap games are needed. No other theories are needed. There is no chance in hell that we can beat South Carolina with our five starters. South Carolina has a bench that would start for most teams. We have a bench equal to the bench players of many of the Big East also rans. Be honest; coach played Patterson for 10 minutes, and she mostly just took up space. Amari turned the ball over the moment she got in the game, and was immediately removed never to reappear. Ines was given no opportunity. And Azzi and Caroline wont be ready. The game against SC is dangerous because injuries can happen to exhausted players. We have only five.
But you ARE at home. It matters.

Reaction Score
With only 5 real players I'd be fine if they just took the L on this one and just rotated in the bench a much possible to rest the starters for Marquette. Maybe if we had Azzi or CD I'd be interested in this game but without them it's as significant as playing Northeastern, an outcome that is already decided and doesn't make a difference. The goal is to come out without anymore injuries.

There is no real rivalry or animosity with South Carolina like there is with Tennessee and Notre Dame and its not a conference game which means when nothing is on the line its just not that interesting of a match up.

Reaction Score
We lost to Villanova last year (ending our 1,023 game conference winning streak), so yeah, one game at a time.
I believe the winning streak was 169 games. I have posted before that from the Amerian Athletic Assn to the current BIG East Uconn's record is 191 wins and 1 loss. correct me if I'm wrong. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
With only 5 real players I'd be fine if they just took the L on this one and just rotated in the bench a much possible to rest the starters for Marquette. Maybe if we had Azzi or CD I'd be interested in this game but without them it's as significant as playing Northeastern, an outcome that is already decided and doesn't make a difference. The goal is to come out without anymore injuries.

There is no real rivalry or animosity with South Carolina like there is with Tennessee and Notre Dame and its not a conference game which means when nothing is on the line its just not that interesting of a match up.
So you would be fine if UConn rolled over, played dead, and took the "L"??? UConn don't need no steekin "L".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom