Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he was also a bit of a project out of high school which a lot of offensive linemen are. If there is one position group who would benefit from an FCS like freshman team it would be lineman. He clearly had the athletic tools and size, but there is a lot of footwork and strength stuff both in the weight room, but also growing into your body. Typically that group pays big dividends in years 3 to 5.
In hindsight though, looks like what he did, is working out for him pretty well. He's having success.. Our staff wasn't stable when he was here either.

Reaction Score
In hindsight though, looks like what he did, is working out for him pretty well. He's having success.. Our staff wasn't stable when he was here either.
Agree, plus he's playing on a team/stage that is likely going to get a lot of exposure out of the gate next year. Just saw on news that the qb and the stud def. end are both back, and they also have several seniors coming back to use Covid year. Cincy has Nd and Indiana in OOC so they will get a lot of media. Much like the guy they brought in from UM Hudson who is leaving, he is in a similar position.

Reaction Score
Kent State commit>Cincinnati commit>UConn commit>Transfer Portal:

Geesh.. Wonder what happened there. Thought this young man was finally grounded here and would be ready to compete... best of luck to him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Kids reported back to Campus this past weekend. If anyone has decided to move on from UConn football would should be hearing about it this week.

This also means the few 2020 kids that decided to skip being on campus last fall are arriving for the first time. I don't have an accurate list of said kids, but its a handful.

Reaction Score
Not sure if already noted but looked up NCAA rules:

"Once a student-athlete informs a school of the intent to transfer, the school can cancel the student’s athletics scholarship at the conclusion of that term. The NCAA requires member schools to have a clearly communicated transfer policy that describes how exploring transfer options impacts access to services and benefits."

Seems to mean if want to transfer after Spring of 2021 don't tell anyone 'till 1st day of class for Spring semester so scholarship is kept through Spring. Schools must advise students by July 1 if not renewing scholarship for following year so if in transfer portal at that date (haven't been picked up yet) even if scholarship cancelled I guess school and student could "re-up" if both think it makes sense.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

"Once a student-athlete informs a school of the intent to transfer, the school can cancel the student’s athletics scholarship at the conclusion of that term. The NCAA requires member schools to have a clearly communicated transfer policy that describes how exploring transfer options impacts access to services and benefits."

Seems to mean if want to transfer after Spring of 2021 don't tell anyone 'till 1st day of class for Spring semester so scholarship is kept through Spring. Schools must advise students by July 1 if not renewing scholarship for following year so if in transfer portal at that date (haven't been picked up yet) even if scholarship cancelled I guess school and student could "re-up" if both think it makes sense.
Still have to adhere to the 25 man limit though which can be manipulated by backdating, blue shirts, and grey shirts

Reaction Score
Not much of a surprise that TJ Gardner has enter the transfer portal. We had high hopes for him but he couldn't get on to the field for any meaningful amount of plays.

Reaction Score

I think it's always interesting to see portal players go back to their school. Always have to wonder how entering the portal impacts their relationship with the coaching staff.

Not to long ago Kentucky QB Nik Scalzo entered the portal then opted to return to school. Shortly after he did though, starting Kentucky QB Terry Wilson entered the portal.

I think the portal is a fascinating part of college football to watch. Crazy to me how many kids have transfered multiple times, not just up from Juco.

Reaction Score
Not much of a surprise that TJ Gardner has enter the transfer portal. We had high hopes for him but he couldn't get on to the field for any meaningful amount of plays.
We are very weak at linebacker and he couldn’t get on the field.

Reaction Score
They have tried so many people for that DE spot. Converting LBs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW it seems like we're bulking up kids to fit the bill at LB... They just weren't ready physically first year (save Jackson Mitchell, who, by all accounts was extremely undersized, but still played)... There should be zero excuses at that spot with an extra year to prepare (size, film work, drills).. only excuse is no live game action...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The kids are doing a two week quarantine after arriving on campus Sunday Jan 17th. They will be limited to circulating within their position groups during this time. They will use February to get back into shape after the long holiday break and plan to start the spring practice program on 3/1.

Again, if there are any more departures we should hear about it this week. So far the great upheaval just hasn't happened as some predicted and that is fine with me. What we have seen so far is a rather standard level of churn for any program. If anything, its a little light in churn.

C

Chief00

Agree, plus he's playing on a team/stage that is likely going to get a lot of exposure out of the gate next year. Just saw on news that the qb and the stud def. end are both back, and they also have several seniors coming back to use Covid year. Cincy has Nd and Indiana in OOC so they will get a lot of media. Much like the guy they brought in from UM Hudson who is leaving, he is in a similar position.
It’s a good move for him, if he gets the playing time he expects.

Reaction Score
I know.. shoulda woulda, maybe coulda.... Messiah DeWeaver didn't last long at ODU... Me thinks he shoulda probably chose us...

Reaction Score
I was looking at the transfer portal today and it's clear that losing 10 to 12 players through the portal in a year seems to be the norm with outliers on both sides. It is really hard to find find a team with less than 4 players in the portal. I didn't go through all the teams, but here are some samples:

Tennessee - 22
North Carolina - 18
Mississippi St. - 17
Washington St. - 16
Georgia Tech - 16
South Florida - 15
UMass - 15
Temple - 15
Florida St. - 13
Rutgers - 12
Michigan - 12
Texas - 12
UNLV - 12
Arizona St. - 12
South Carolina - 11
Nebraska - 11
Notre Dame - 11
Akron - 11
Arizona - 10
LSU - 10
Syracuse - 10
Louisville - 10
Duke - 9
Illinois - 9
BC - 8
Penn St. - 8
Virginia Tech - 8
Houston - 8
ECU - 8

The outliers that I found:

Ohio St. - 1
Pitt - 2
Alabama - 4
Clemson - 4

Reaction Score
I was looking at the transfer portal today and it's clear that losing 10 to 12 players through the portal in a year seems to be the norm with outliers on both sides. It is really hard to find find a team with less than 4 players in the portal. I didn't go through all the teams, but here are some samples:

Tennessee - 22
North Carolina - 18
Mississippi St. - 17
Washington St. - 16
Georgia Tech - 16
South Florida - 15
UMass - 15
Temple - 15
Florida St. - 13
Rutgers - 12
Michigan - 12
Texas - 12
UNLV - 12
Arizona St. - 12
South Carolina - 11
Nebraska - 11
Notre Dame - 11
Akron - 11
Arizona - 10
LSU - 10
Syracuse - 10
Louisville - 10
Duke - 9
Illinois - 9
BC - 8
Penn St. - 8
Virginia Tech - 8
Houston - 8
ECU - 8

The outliers that I found:

Ohio St. - 1
Pitt - 2
Alabama - 4
Clemson - 4
Hmmmm. 3 of the 4 outliers look familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom