Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t really care about measurements all that much. Probably not going to out size too many teams on their schedule. Just hope they got stronger tougher and better.

Reaction Score
I'm more optimistic. First, the defense was young in 2019 and the players will be more developed in 2020. Unfortunately, UConn has not updated any of the defensive size and weights since 2019 so we are probably going to be positively surprised about how some players have developed.

On the DL, 7 players started in 2019. Yes, Thomas did start 11 games, but T Jones started 11, K Jones started 10, Harris started 7 (at DL), Uguak started 5, DeVaughn started 3, and Watts started 1. They were very young in 2019 as the starters were 1 Junior, 1 R-So, 3 So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr.

As for DL tackles and tackles for loss in 2019:

K Jones 40 tackels, 4.5 tackles for loss
T Jones 40 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss
Watts 30 tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss
Harris 26 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss
Thomas 23 tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss
Uguak 19 tackles, 4.0 tackles for loss
DeVaughn 15 tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss

And, you have to remember, there will be 2 DL that redshirted in 2019 who will be in their 3rd year with the team and 5 DL that will be in their 2nd year with the team as well as 2 true freshmen.
Who are the 2 DL that redshirted and the 5 DL that will be in the second year?

Reaction Score
Roster compression from extra year of eligibility for current rosters and the large number of committed kids not being able to visit campus/meet staff in person is going to cause increased activity in both the transfer portal and in decommits across the board. I think I counted 5 FBS QB transfers yesterday alone.

Do you think a lot of these kids are going to find no scholarships available?
Are the newer linemen so good Thomas might have felt he wouldn't get much playing time?

Reaction Score
Do you think a lot of these kids are going to find no scholarships available?
Are the newer linemen so good Thomas might have felt he wouldn't get much playing time?
Position on a depth chart can be fluid. Tough to determine where players stand with so little real information coming out. Is the staff looking for more production out of that position? Do they feel they need more push up the middle? Or if the guy graduates and is looking for a new experience or school to attend graduate school on scholarship.

Reaction Score
Someone (can't remember who) once told me that guys who are in the transfer portal have issues, wonder if that it true?
Thomas' issue is that he is graduating early(great accomplishment) and is going to graduate school someplace else on scholarship. Not the type of issues like poor academics or legal issues that you know Edsall was referring to.

Reaction Score
Thomas' issue is that he is graduating early(great accomplishment) and is going to graduate school someplace else on scholarship. Not the type of issues like poor academics or legal issues that you know Edsall was referring to.
Hearing he wants to play closer to home.. I’ll bet he commits to a school in Texas so he’s close to family and friends..

Reaction Score
Better q for him to ask is how many schools can afford to pay for more than 85 schollies and related costs?

Reaction Score
Whats our scholarship situation like? I was under the impression that we were quite close to the 85 scholarship limit, which would inhibit us from bringing many transfers.

Reaction Score
Seniors will be permitted to return next year and not count against a sport's roster or scholarship limits. Underclassmen will get access to a waiver they can use to extend their careers, but beyond the 2021-22 academic year, those athletes will count against scholarship and roster limits.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Whats our scholarship situation like? I was under the impression that we were quite close to the 85 scholarship limit, which would inhibit us from bringing many transfers.
We are 11 under 85 going into December. I think we have 9 or so kids that effectively get the extra year of eligibility thanks to the COVid rules. How many of the bonus year kids return remains to be seen, but hopefully all of them (Mensah, Rose, Van Demark, D. Harris, Morgan, Fortt, K. Williams, Harrell, Keating).

74 existing (including the 9 mentioned above)
+15 planned Dec 20 signing
89 total which is 4 over the limit

I would expect perhaps 2 to 4 under grad scholarship kids to depart before the second Feb signing deadline (normal churn for academics, playing time, etc). If we have a few more departures I could see Randy taking 1 or 2 more HS kids in Feb and 1 or 2 transfers and have a roster with 87 to 92 scholarship kids which will be a good 5 to 8 more than we usually have going into fall ball. I know this state is on a budget crisis mode, but my hope is that they wont bat an eye about being a few scholarships over for once. Heck by mid 2021 the usual attrition will probably get us back below 85 again rather quickly.

We'll see what Randy says on the December signing day. Maybe he will share some specifics on what they would like to accomplish with the Feb signing date.

Judging by the GAs on twitter who seem to be tasked with finding transfers, the program is on the hunt for a grad safety as a top priority with some interest in WRs, OL and CBs as well. If we have surprise QB departure we will definitely work to quickly fill that space as well.

Reaction Score
Very true. UCONN has an opportunity to significantly increase talent level with transfers this go round. Hope they take advantage.
I thought Edsall said that he wouldn't take anyone from the portal.

Reaction Score
I thought Edsall said that he wouldn't take anyone from the portal.
Don't think that was it, more like kids in portal have issues (didn't mention if that included his kids transferring out also as that could be a knock on his own kids) and that unlikely to look at anyone he didn't already have relationship/knowledge of (like had offered previously or one of assistant knew).
UConn could be a good place for transfers as the team is getting much better (at least that's what I think the party line is) due to practicing without the distraction of playing games for the entire 2020 season.

C

Chief00

Don't think that was it, more like kids in portal have issues (didn't mention if that included his kids transferring out also as that could be a knock on his own kids) and that unlikely to look at anyone he didn't already have relationship/knowledge of (like had offered previously or one of assistant knew).
UConn could be a good place for transfers as the team is getting much better (at least that's what I think the party line is) due to practicing without the distraction of playing games for the entire 2020 season.
I think if we view playing actual games as a “distraction”, we miss what football is all about. Chief is the first one to talk about “The Grind” as most here know, but “The Grind” is all about preparation for “ The Game”.

Reaction Score
I think if we view playing actual games as a “distraction”, we miss what football is all about. Chief is the first one to talk about “The Grind” as most here know, but “The Grind” is all about preparation for “ The Game”.
Guess Chief's sarcasm meter is running low.

Reaction Score

Chief, just to be clear, are you suggesting we should have played this season? I just want to make sure.

C

Chief00

Chief, just to be clear, are you suggesting we should have played this season? I just want to make sure.
Absolutely. Can you provide an example of contact tracing, identifying virus spread from an actual game?

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Can you provide an example of contact tracing, identifying virus spread from an actual game?

ahhhhh........Chief.........that was sarcasm. After you posted on the issue for the 4 millionth time I thought that would be obvious......but I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom