Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, basically, it's CLEAR we can produce NFL talent... BUT we just don't have a staff good enough to win games???? That's what it sounds like to me more so than the players at this point... I get it takes a few years to get acclimated to a new coaching staff/system and all, but only a few.. NOT 5 years... (I think I just called out Edsall 2.0 for the first time... oh well, if the shoe fits)..
Same story over in hockey. I question whether our athletic department cares to actually win in every sport.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In football- it is about all 11 guys executing at the same time. You can have 3 or 4 really good players but they can't cover every crack and paper every hole. The overall roster needed the upgrade.
Case and point- Matt Peart did everything he could at RT - but we could never get a 3rd and 1 or a 4th and 1 when he was here. Why? You can blame the coaches or lack of talent or a little of both. I think a well short coaching budget has something to do with it combined with lack of talent for the level we are playing at.

Reaction Score
In football- it is about all 11 guys executing at the same time. You can have 3 or 4 really good players but they can't cover every crack and paper every hole. The overall roster needed the upgrade.
Case and point- Matt Peart did everything he could at RT - but we could never get a 3rd and 1 or a 4th and 1 when he was here. Why? You can blame the coaches or lack of talent or a little of both. I think a well short coaching budget has something to do with it combined with lack of talent for the level we are playing at.
I think most of the problem is talent. Look at NFL draft picks from UConn from 2009 to 2020.

From 2009 to 2014, UConn had 18 NFL draft picks an average of 3 per year and every year had at least 1 NFL pick.

From 2015 to 2020, UConn had 5 NFL draft picks and average of 0.833 per year. Two years, 2016 and 2019, UConn had no NFL draft picks.

So during the late Edsall years and PP years (mostly Edsall recruits), the UConn roster typically had 10 to 15 NFL draft picks. During the last 6 years, the roster has had 3 to 4 NFL draft picks. It has shown on the field.

I think Edsall has improved the talent on the roster since he has arrived through both recruiting and development.

Reaction Score
We can't be loyal to mediocrity at the LOS....Gotta win battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball in big spots... OL is paramount... We used to drive opposing defenses off the ball for those short yardage plays....

Reaction Score
We can't be loyal to mediocrity at the LOS....Gotta win battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball in big spots... OL is paramount... We used to drive opposing defenses off the ball for those short yardage plays....
I believe the staff was not happy with the play of the interior OLine. Noticed they moved on with eligibility remaining. Ie. DeGeorge was moved down the depth chart until his replacement got injured.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yep - I took a moment to run an update on the "where are they now?" file.

Transfers from the past year current at new programs:
OL Jeff Woods - Norfolk State (FCS)<--season moved to spring
OL Robert Holmes -Austin Peay (FCS) <--appeared in 2 out of 3 games. fall season is now over after losing 24-17 to central ark, 55-0 to pitt and 55-20 to cincy. set to play seven game conf schedule in spring.
OL Stanley Hubbard - James Madison (FCS) <--season moved to spring
RB Dante Black - Richmond (FCS) <--season moved to spring
QB Michael Beaudry - Idaho (FCS) <--season moved to spring
DB Tahj Herring-Wilson - ArkState (FBS) <--played in 3 of 7 games thus far (9/5 vs Memphis, 9/3 vs Coastal Carolina and 10/31 vs Troy), recorded seven tackles and one assist
TE Donovan Williams - Elon (FCS) <--season moved to spring
LB Eddie Hahn - Monmouth (FCS) <--season moved to spring
WR/K Mason Donaldson - Campbell (FCS) <--has completed a four games fall season; had zero catches/ one tackle in first three games, then exploded for 2 receptions/17 yards, and one 26 yard 1td threw in a 66-14 loss to WakeForest
P Brett Graham - Tennessee (FBS) <--has not not appear in any of the first five games as a backup punter.
OL Cam DeGeorge - Louisville (FBS) <--getting a ton of playing time as the first OL off the bench (played in all seven games to date -congrats to him)
DB Tyler Coyle - Purdue (FBS) <--has not appeared in the first two games. game this weekend vs wisc was canceled.
LB Ryan Gilmartin -EKU>Decommit>Jacksonville St. (FCS) <--had a tackle on 10/3 game vs Fl St., did not play in remaining 3 fall games. school is set to play seven game spring 2021 conf schedule.
ATH Zavier Scott - Maine (FCS) <--season moved to spring
WR Garrison Burnett - Maine (FCS) <--season moved to spring
DB Ryan Carroll - Garden City Community College (JUCO) <--season moved to spring
QB Jonathan Senecal (2020 commit) - Univ. of Montreal. <--I haven't checked, but I believe no fall season is planned.

Transfers from the past year not currently in football:

OL Nino Leone - Coastal Carolina (FBS) <--not listed on 2020 roster
DE - AJ Garson - new school TBD
OT - Noel Brouse - new school TBD
WR - Quayvon Skanes - new school TBD
S - Oneil Robinson - new school TBD
CB - Keyshawn Paul - new school TBD
S - Rob King - new school TBD

2018 and 2019 transfers:
TE - Tyler Davis - Georgia Tech (FBS) - named captain / had 17 rec/ 148 yard / 1td season. Drafted by Jaguars in 6th round / #206 overall.
QB - Marvin Washington - appears to be out of football
OT - James Tunstall - Stony Brook (FCS) - starter at LT in 9 of 12 games in 2019, will have a six game spring 2021 season.
QB - Jordan McAfee - Assumption College (DII) - threw for 1100 yards in 2019, 2020 season canceled.
WR - Keyion Dixon - Eastern Kentucky (FCS) 6 games/ 27 rec / 494 yds / 5 tds in 2018. To date in 2020: 12 games / 34 rec /497 yards / 1 td.
S - Marshe Terry - Northern Illinois (FBS) - played 2019 at Northern Illinois - recorded 39 tackles as a starter in 7 games. Has since graduated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is going to be a very interesting year for transfers in college football. Why? With COVID, essentially all players could be redshirting this year and with the incoming recruiting classes, some schools could have well over 85 scholarships for next year. Some schools will elect to support over 85 scholarships but some schools may not due to financial constraints. I just don't think there will be many scholarship spots available for kids to transfer this year. Obviously, the top players will have opportunities, but kids will have to think twice this year about transferring.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A 2-6 EKU played an 0-1 Western Carolina in the inaugural Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers Opportunity Bowl this Saturday. This is a new annual FCS bowl which EKU plans to host going forward (how does that work??).

EKU won 49-17 concluding EKU's season. Meanwhile WCU had only played Liberty this fall (losing 58-14) and is now set to play UNC on 12/5 before shutting it down only to restart with an eight game schedule in spring 2020.

I guess this is akin to EKU deciding it wasnt going to wait around for someone else to host a party, they'll just do it themselves and invite whomever and hand out a trophy.

Dixon finished with 37 receptions/ 607 yards and 6 TDs this year in 9 games which outperforms his 34 receptions/ 497 yards and 1 TD 2019 season which had 12 games.

C

Chief00

A 2-6 EKU played an 0-1 Western Carolina in the inaugural Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers Opportunity Bowl this Saturday. This is a new annual FCS bowl which EKU plans to host going forward (how does that work??).

EKU won 49-17 concluding EKU's season. Meanwhile WCU had only played Liberty this fall (losing 58-14) and is now set to play UNC on 12/5 before shutting it down only to restart with an eight game schedule in spring 2020.

I guess this is akin to EKU deciding it wasnt going to wait around for someone else to host a party, they'll just do it themselves and invite whomever and hand out a trophy.

Dixon finished with 37 receptions/ 607 yards and 6 TDs this year in 9 games which outperforms his 34 receptions/ 497 yards and 1 TD 2019 season which had 12 games.

From his perspective, he got out just in time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
LOL - Tim Boyle did ok with that degree at $1.7 million over 3 years.
Boyle is a good point, but can we really assume Dixon will achieve the same success at this hour? I wont cheer against him, but its a tall task.

But if we going down this path, should we talk about Matt Peart who will make $1 million this year and $4 million over his 4 year third round rookie contract if he is able to see it through.

Reaction Score
I think Dixon would have struggled for playing time last year at UConn with Ross, Drayton, and Ardell Brown. He got an opportunity to play at another school and he probably made the right decision to transfer. He had a solid season at EKU although his last 4 games he was a non-factor, but I don't think he has stood out enough against FCS football competition to get drafted. That said, I hope somebody give him an opportunity.

C

Chief00

I think Dixon would have struggled for playing time last year at UConn with Ross, Drayton, and Ardell Brown. He got an opportunity to play at another school and he probably made the right decision to transfer. He had a solid season at EKU although his last 4 games he was a non-factor, but I don't think he has stood out enough against FCS football competition to get drafted. That said, I hope somebody give him an opportunity.
I don’t see him getting drafted either but perhaps get a chance as a free agent? All I was saying is this sanctimonious stuff about UConn vs ECU degree Is not a big deal for a football player. Sure academically UConn is a better school but these are football driven decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Can’t you just be happy for a kid. Why does every move come with a yes, but. He did well. He found a place where he had success. Who knows where he will get a degree from. I wish him well no matter which path he chooses.

No, he can't, because he's devolved into a bot that craps on every thread on this board, usually with total nonsense. So tiresome.

Reaction Score
The program is 6-30 under RE2 with 1W in 2018, 2Ws last season, and a cancelled season in 2020. Perhaps RE is rebuilding is rebuild? Whatever the case, I don’t blame any player for leaving and I have huge respect for those committed to seeing it through. All we can do is stick with it as fans and hope things change for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom