Transfers and sitting out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfers and sitting out

Reaction Score
Also happened with AEH at MS St and a number of other programs. The rules governing transfers are changing rapidly. There is no reason to believe that UConn could not also benefit from more liberal NCAA transfer rules should the right player transfer to Storrs.
Concurrence seems to by my theme today. Actually, I'm not an anti-ND, just Pro-UConn over everyone else. The sentence beginning: "There is no reason to believe"--That gets a triple A plus from me.
Maybe others on the BY know the intimate details concerning the Shephard "interesting" transfer, I don't. I'm stuck with a legalistic/ fundamentally fairness mind. That which is done to these the least of my children should be done to all. While all shoes don't fit all, those things controllable , with College sports, should be fair and even handed.

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA is getting closer to that old model. BTW this is only a WCBB, MCBB and football issue.
On the face of it this sounds great for the kids. I have another view: The transfer rule of sitting out may seem punitive and to some that may be true. Kids react, only a rare kid thinks it through; this current method makes them think before they jump. That is good for the Player, good for the coach and usually good for the team--time to build chemistry. I truly would hate to see the Semester transfer/eligible to play scenario enacted. What a can of worms that would create--there could be coaches buying kids (with perks) knowing that kid would give him an NC. That would be putting the wolves in the hen houses.

Reaction Score
Actually Gray played two seasons at Carolina, one season at South Carolina :cool: Davis never played for Carolina :D

It's too bad they finally got colonization halfway right in Northern Carolina. Things would have turned out better if you'd kept getting disappeared.

Reaction Score
Transferring without sitting out a year only happens to Notre Dame with Shepard. Other than that, they must sit, Like Stevens and Camara with us. Different schools have different rules.
Shepard did sit out a year; she did not play her sophomore year because of injury. To ask her to not play for two years was ridiculous, plus she lost a year of eligibility in the process. It is really time to stop kicking this dead horse. Any objective observer would agree with the decision.

Reaction Score
Shepard did sit out a year; she did not play her sophomore year because of injury. To ask her to not play for two years was ridiculous, plus she lost a year of eligibility in the process. It is really time to stop kicking this dead horse. Any objective observer would agree with the decision.
No she didn't. She was on the court her soph year 16-17 season when UConn played them at Nebraska. She never sat during her time at Nebraska.

Reaction Score
No she didn't. She was on the court her soph year 16-17 season when UConn played them at Nebraska. She never sat during her time at Nebraska.

Shepard missed her senior year of high school with an ACL; she missed no years in college

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Grad transfers are definitely the new big thing in women's basketball. Chloe Jackson and Anriel Howard both made very good basketball decisions to switch programs and compete at the highest level. Jackson ends up being a MOP and championship hero for Baylor, Howard improves immensely at Mississippi State and takes on a larger role offensively. I bet we'll see 1-2 end up at UCONN in the offseason.

UConn Nation would be elated to see two quality graduate transfers (BIGS) come to UConn next year. BIGS are our most critical area of need. ONO can't do it alone next year. Right now, she's the Lone Ranger. She needs a Tonto. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Here are the career stats for Shepard through her junior year. After you click on the link, see the team stats for her senior year numbers.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Te'a Cooper was injured her final (sophomore) year at Tennessee and then transferred at the end of the season and had to sit out her first year at South Carolina. So, seems it's not that ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Wasn't so ridiculous for T. Cooper to sit out two seasons at least according to the NCAA the same year.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that an immediate transfer made a game-changing (and championship-winning) difference for the second year in a row. (Shepard, now Jackson) This may be the new wave in WCBB, like the pro baseball hired guns (Think David Cone and Curt Schilling) stopping by to win a championship or the MCBB one-and dones. As one who is opposed to change of any kind (I have hated Baseball's Designated Hitter for 40 years, and the NHL's expansion beyond six teams for 50 years)I like that many sports have controls in place to minimize this (NFL, NBA)
Designated Hitters, clip-on ties, automatic transmissions and light beer! Learn how to really play the game d'mmit!

I am another long disgruntled geezer!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wasn't so ridiculous for T. Cooper to sit out two seasons at least according to the NCAA the same year.
Cooper’s situation was radically different than Shepard’s. Copper had an injury for a year and during that year caused such a disruption that she was kicked off the team by the Athletic Department (Holly was in on the decision but it was an AD edict) so she collectively shot herself in the foot by her own doing, not an external force of a coach being fired and removed due to abuse like Shepard encountered at Nebraska when Yori was let go.
Apples to Oranges.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shepherd played a year after the firing didn’t she?

And then got a waiver?
A mystery that will never be cleared up I’m afraid. I take comfort in the fact that ND and their five brand new starters will visit UConn early next season. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Shepherd played a year after the firing didn’t she? And then got a waiver?
Yes she played a full year after Connie Yori was fired for Amy Williams. I remember because She played for Nebraska against UCONN both as a freshman and a sophomore.

Reaction Score
A mystery that will never be cleared up I’m afraid. I take comfort in the fact that ND and their five brand new starters will visit UConn early next season. :)
ND has had the last laugh the last two seasons though. We could beat them by a million points in Hartford come December, and we'd still lose to them by 8 points in the national semis.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ND has had the last laugh the last two seasons though. We could beat them by a million points in Hartford come December, and we'd still lose to them by 8 points in the national semis.
Not next year. ND's run at the top is over for the next several years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper was injured her final (sophomore) year at Tennessee and then transferred at the end of the season and had to sit out her first year at South Carolina. So, seems it's not that ridiculous.

Cooper’s situation was radically different than Shepard’s.

Shepherd played a year after the firing didn’t she? And then got a waiver?

I'm not sure why people are still tripping over this after all this time but I'll try one last time. The most important difference in the situations that must be understood is this: A significant consideration for the NCAA in the approval of the waiver is that the school from which the player is departing must support the application for a waiver. That was a major consideration under the old process and remains a major consideration under the amended process that were put in place in April of 2018. This is just an educated guess on my part but Nebraska likely supported Shepard's waiver application. There was no way in hell that TN was going to support Cooper's application so she can go play for SC. That's the difference to focus on.
The other major criteria under the new guidelines is "due to circumstances beyond the control of the player" is an intentionally vague but extremely low bar to get a waiver approved. The NCAA approved 30 of 39 (77%) of requested waivers this past WCBB season. Message to player that intend to transfer. LEAVE ON GOOD TERM!

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The transfer market is about to get real. If we thought it was crazy before, we haven't seen anything yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The transfer market is about to get real. If we thought it was crazy before, we haven't seen anything yet.
Tell us something we don’t know? ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score

...............and now she's transferring yet a 3rd time. :eek:
Guard Te’a Cooper, the leading scorer for South Carolina women’s basketball this past season, has entered her name in the transfer portal and intends to leave the Gamecocks, a team spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anything you can share? From the left coast I'm assuming?

Reaction Score
Im sorry... with all these South Carolina players randomly transferring out, this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with talent coming in next year. This is waayyy more personal and deeper than anyone involved is showing (not that they have to show or prove anything to anyone). Im a former basketball player and i would of been asking mad questions by now if i were an incoming class. HALF of the roster is gone. Like that. Nah man, something is up. Ill be thinking about my future at this point.

The Tea Cooper transfer: How i see things is like this.... if you go to an interview, and the interviewer (Possibly your boss if hired) notices you've had three jobs in under a year. Its all about the image you build dor yourself and college is pretty much the auditions before the big show. Tea's lack of real commitment might or might not go against her when she decides to enter the pro realms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom