Transfers and sitting out | The Boneyard

Transfers and sitting out

Reaction Score
How is it that Jackson played for LSU last year and Baylor this year—without sitting out a year. Why is sitting out required in some situations and not others?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She was a GRADUATE transfer from LSU. Graduate transfers do not have to sit out when they transfer.....as I'm sure you know. ;) That's why Geno will possibly be looking at a graduate transfer or two this spring. He needs someone that can come in and help right away.

Chloe Jackson - career
One of three Lady Tigers to start all 32 games in 2016-17 ... Was second on the team in scoring with 13.1 points per game, and fourth in rebounding with an average of 5.1 boards per contest ... Scored in double figures in 23 games and logged six games of 20 or more points.

Transferred to LSU after playing her freshman season at NC State ... Missed majority of 2014-15 season at NC State with a foot injury. Only played in 4 games. Then transferred to LSU. Redshirted during the 2015-16 season because of NCAA transfer rules. :D Jackson has really only played 3 full years of college basketball. 5 years to finish your 4 years of eligibility. She sat out a year when she transferred from NC St to LSU.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Grad transfers are definitely the new big thing in women's basketball. Chloe Jackson and Anriel Howard both made very good basketball decisions to switch programs and compete at the highest level. Jackson ends up being a MOP and championship hero for Baylor, Howard improves immensely at Mississippi State and takes on a larger role offensively. I bet we'll see 1-2 end up at UCONN in the offseason.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Grad transfers are definitely the new big thing in women's basketball. Chloe Jackson and Anriel Howard both made very good basketball decisions to switch programs and compete at the highest level. Jackson ends up being a MOP and championship hero for Baylor, Howard improves immensely at Mississippi State and takes on a larger role offensively. I bet we'll see 1-2 end up at UCONN in the offseason.
Mmmmmm, you may be right but I have a feeling that grad transfer will be Geno's last option. I think we're much more likely to see an international player added to the 2019 class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. We really do need a few good posts PF options so MW can play her more natural position of wing 3 and sometimes 4 position

Reaction Score
I agree. It’s like getting a no cost free agent on a one year deal that fills a need and doesn’t negatively impact your ability to get recruits the following year by clogging the roster. Win- Win for both sides.

Reaction Score
so two questions...
first, can a player stay for a fifth year at same school or does it HAVE to be a transfer/?
two, i know this would never happen (nor do i want it to) but can collier or samuelson be able to not enter the draft and transfer?

Reaction Score
No because they have played 4 years they have to miss a year of playing because of injury or red shirting

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
It is interesting that an immediate transfer made a game-changing (and championship-winning) difference for the second year in a row. (Shepard, now Jackson) This may be the new wave in WCBB, like the pro baseball hired guns (Think David Cone and Curt Schilling) stopping by to win a championship or the MCBB one-and dones. As one who is opposed to change of any kind (I have hated Baseball's Designated Hitter for 40 years, and the NHL's expansion beyond six teams for 50 years)I like that many sports have controls in place to minimize this (NFL, NBA)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
so two questions...
first, can a player stay for a fifth year at same school or does it HAVE to be a transfer/?
two, i know this would never happen (nor do i want it to) but can collier or samuelson be able to not enter the draft and transfer?
Yes and no.
Under NCAA general rules you have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. Collier and Samuelson have used all 4 years of eligibility at UCONN they cannot transfer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After Baylor’s Elite 8 victory, Kim was asked about integrating Chloe Jackson into the Baylor lineup. She made an astute observation that, “Unfortunately, we are in the transfer business.”

In each of the last 3 WBB championships, transfers have played a significant role. While UConn has had some transfers through the years, outside of the 1 year we got from Z, I can’t think of any others that made significant contributions during the tournament.

When it comes to recruiting, Geno has mostly taken the conventional route going after US HS players. He has stated, “We don’t have a Plan B” if we lose out on top recruits like this past year. While that is not entirely true as the transfers of Nat, Z & Batouly demonstrate, Geno probably needs to broaden his pursuit of transfers along with international players.

Just looking at next year, UConn appears to have 4 very talented players who will start. If Geno can add in one experienced front court player (transfer or international) and maybe one other skilled g/w, the Huskies once again look like a FF team.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that an immediate transfer made a game-changing (and championship-winning) difference for the second year in a row. (Shepard, now Jackson) This may be the new wave in WCBB, like the pro baseball hired guns (Think David Cone and Curt Schilling) stopping by to win a championship or the MCBB one-and dones. As one who is opposed to change of any kind (I have hated Baseball's Designated Hitter for 40 years, and the NHL's expansion beyond six teams for 50 years)I like that many sports have controls in place to minimize this (NFL, NBA)
Even though it was a little different, South Carolina don't win the national championship without their two transfers Gray and Davis. They played the year before for South Carolina but they were very important transfers. I see the same thing possible for Westbrook eventually.

Reaction Score

Howard might have ended up at roughly the same place if she had just stayed put at TAMU, but I guess there were concerns other than competition.

Reaction Score
Even though it was a little different, South Carolina don't win the national championship without their two transfers Gray and Davis. They played the year before for South Carolina but they were very important transfers. I see the same thing possible for Westbrook eventually.

Davis and Gray only played one season for Carolina. If they had come back for second season, we'd have given it a go, I think. Even it was just Gray.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Transferring without sitting out a year only happens to Notre Dame with Shepard. Other than that, they must sit, Like Stevens and Camara with us. Different schools have different rules.
Also happened with AEH at MS St and a number of other programs. The rules governing transfers are changing rapidly. There is no reason to believe that UConn could not also benefit from more liberal NCAA transfer rules should the right player transfer to Storrs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Howard might have ended up at roughly the same place if she had just stayed put at TAMU, but I guess there were concerns other than competition.

Potentially, but I'm not sure Blair would've moved her to the perimeter like she wanted. She also had a very different experience playing with a pass first PG in Holmes compared to playing with Carter.

Reaction Score
How is it that Jackson played for LSU last year and Baylor this year—without sitting out a year. Why is sitting out required in some situations and not others?
Grad transfer. No waiver required. Automatic immediate eligibility.

Similar to when Butler transferred to George Mason.
Thanks!! Did not know this.

Reaction Score
There was an article in this a.m.'s Courant that the NCAA is considering tightening up the grad transfers substantially. If a grad transfer plays for you and does not earn an advanced degree within "X" period of time, you'll be penalized a scholarship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was an article in this a.m.'s Courant that the NCAA is considering tightening up the grad transfers substantially. If a grad transfer plays for you and does not earn an advanced degree within "X" period of time, you'll be penalized a scholarship.
I saw that, but I wonder just how much of a penalty losing a scholarship for women’s basketball is. D1 teams get 15 scholarships. Very few teams use all 15 scholarships and even those that do probably don’t go much beyond 7-8 players in big games.

So if I’m a coach and I’ve got a chance to upgrade my team by bringing in a grad transfer, I’m not going to spend a lot of time worrying about losing one scholarship if that person doesn’t complete their degree.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Transferring without sitting out a year only happens to Notre Dame with Shepard. Other than that, they must sit, Like Stevens and Camara with us. Different schools have different rules.
That's not true. Chatrice White transferred from Illinois to Florida State and did not sit out a year. The schools have little to do with this, you need to blame the skitzophrenic NCAA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The NCAA is reconsidering all transfer rules including a model that would eliminate all reshirting (including medical) and sitting out a year in the case of a transfer. New rules to be in place by the start of classes in August.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is reconsidering all transfer rules including a model that would eliminate all reshirting (including medical) and sitting out a year in the case of a transfer. New rules to be in place by the start of classes in August.

In the old AIAW days, you could transfer at the end of a semester and be eligible immediately.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the old AIAW days, you could transfer at the end of a semester and be eligible immediately.
I think the NCAA is getting closer to that old model. BTW this is only a WCBB, MCBB and football issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom