Transfer treatment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer treatment

Reaction Score
Compare Z to either ND’s Shepard or UConn’s Tuck, both shorter players who had tremendous footwork and understood how to use their bodies to defend and score against bigger opponents.

I don't think it's possible to overstate just how magnificent Tuck was at defending the post against bigger players in the biggest games of all, such as her performances against South Carolina and Maryland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The point being she could have been so much more valuable had her assets been developed and not spend part of one year trying to make her into Stewie. And then yanking her out of the game every time she made a misstep. Playing her in the fourth quarter of a blow out game with the subs did not help her development.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think it's possible to overstate just how magnificent Tuck was at defending the post against bigger players in the biggest games of all, such as her performances against South Carolina and Maryland.
Agree completely. Then of course, there is the incomparable Gabby Williams, who’s defensive skills in the post were the best I’ve ever seen. It’s not just about size, particularly in WBB.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As to your last sentence, evidently she thought that too.
I can't speak to what Z was thinking and won't speculate that is the reason( low minutes) she left UCONN with remaining eligibility. Some kids just don't enjoy being in college and want to get on with the next chapter in their lives.

Reaction Score
Thanx everyone for an interesting discourse. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thought that Azura was under developed and underplayed. I am puzzled by the question , why accept her transfer if you are not going to train her and play her. When given the opportunity she did show how valuable she could be.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I find it interesting to read this discussion, because it mirrors past discussions about Rutgers players on the RU board, specifically -

- the quick hook given players who "mess up", although, as someone implied in this thread, it isn't really for a player missing a shot, it would be for taking a shot that wasn't a good play. Even more likely for Vivian, messing up a defensive assignment.
- issues with playing time - in general, many fans are not able to assess the plus and minus aspects of individual players, at least how they affect a given game situation. I'm sure the coach can err, but I'm equally sure they have a reason for how they play a given player. And choose a zone or man-to-man defense, etc.

As to your subject that devolved into the last game of last year (which I have never commented on, and certainly don't remember in detail) I will say that it has often seemed to us that Geno's coaching isn't at its best when UConn is feeling heat - as in struggling. Which is very seldom, of course. The same argument has been made about CVS, and much more frequently - basically, when it goes off the rails, she doesn't do a good job of "righting the ship" (mixed metaphor, huh!). But that's my comment, for whatever its worth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom