Transfer treatment | The Boneyard

Transfer treatment

Reaction Score
Anyone have any comments on the coaching of the transfers. Personally I believe the coaching staff dropped the ball with Azura. Potentially one of the best 5 players in the country and they make her into a bench player. The slightest mistake on the floor and they pull her. It was a mystery to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anyone have any comments on the coaching of the transfers. Personally I believe the coaching staff dropped the ball with Azura. Potentially one of the best 5 players in the country and they make her into a bench player. The slightest mistake on the floor and they pull her. It was a mystery to me.

When I first read this, my brain did not connect and I thought you were talking about Azure this year with the Dallas Wings which is a story in itself. But after reading your comment more carefully, I guess you mean Azure and Batouly and the UConn staff.

My opinion of Azure and how the coaching staff integrated (or tried to integrate her) into the team is as follows

1) In the UConn system, movement, passing, positioning and attention to defense are critical and Azure was not at the level of the 5 starters in any of these disciplines. You may wonder why she was not more advanced with the sit out year but apparently the transfer players are just not given the attention that the active players are given.

2) Her love of the 3pt shot is well documented and I am sure caused difficulties with the coaching staff especially when she could not make them in the game. However, assuming she did make them at her more realistic level (say 35% which is what she is doing in the WNBA), a player of her size should not make the 3pt shot her favorite shot. In the WNBA, she is shooting as many 3pt shots as 2 pt shots which is nuts for a 6' 6" player. A good example for comparison is Breanna who actually is not much better a 3pt shooter (statistically at ~ 35%) but she has a much better idea when to take the shot and how to use that shot to mainly complement other players as well as set up the rest of her game.

3) I don't think she was pulled after every little mistake but if she made mental mistakes (bad positioning etc), Geno would pull her out just like he would do to any player.

4) More to the point, she was a work in progress and I am sure Geno never expected her to leave early. He undoubtedly felt she was on track to reach her potential (i.e diversify her game offensively while urging her to be more physical and active on the defensive end) as a starter and mentor to ONO and openly said how much he loved coaching her and the challenge of getting her to reach her potential.

As far as Batouly, her injury totally messed up her development and practice and in the UConn system, you cant have individuals who are not
as locked in on the system (very difficult read - react system) as the others. I am hoping as well as every BY'r that she comes in this year fully healed and
ready to play like a force of nature since there is plenty of time and opportunity for her on this team.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, Z's improvement was quite remarkable from the beginning of the season to the end. With that said, she was never going to be a truly effective post player, which is really what UConn needed her to be. I think the same thing is true in the pros. Z is much more comfortable playing as a big wing than a center. As for Touly, I agree that her injury set her back substantially. Hopefully, she'll be a contributor this season.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I hope nothing but the best for Z but I thought she was a liability defensively in the ND game. I was at the game and I focused on what ND was doing offensively. The Irish made sure that whoever Z was guarding, got the ball. Geno tried zone. Tried changing matchups. Nothing worked. I think that is why she sat so much down the stretch. Great kid, great offensive player. Going to struggle with whoever she guards in the WNBA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I hope nothing but the best for Z but I thought she was a liability defensively in the ND game. I was at the game and I focused on what ND was doing offensively. The Irish made sure that whoever Z was guarding, got the ball. Geno tried zone. Tried changing matchups. Nothing worked. I think that is why she sat so much down the stretch. Great kid, great offensive player. Going to struggle with whoever she guards in the WNBA.
That explanation does not hold water. Z was scoring when she was in there. KLS not only was not scoring but because of foul trouble, her defense was sorely lacking. Also, it seemed to me whenever ND got the ball they drove right at KLS. If there are two players who are playing poor defense and one is producing offensively, why not take out the one who is not scoring? Why do I mention KLS? Because the other players had no one on the bench to replace them who Geno trusted besides Walker. Z was a capable sub for KLS. Too many people are blaming Z for poor performance, some of the same ones who criticized Collier for poor performance in the semi-final two season's ago but said nothing about how well she played this past season in the semi-final game. I know Geno knows what he is doing but I truly believe that if Z had played more in the second half of this season's semi-final, Uconn would have won in regulation and people would be praising Z's performance.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) In the UConn system, movement, passing, positioning and attention to defense are critical and Azure was not at the level of the 5 starters in any of these disciplines. You may wonder why she was not more advanced with the sit out year but apparently the transfer players are just not given the attention that the active players are given.

That's my only question with regard to this thread. As Old Dude said, her progress from beginning to end of the season was significant. That leaves me to wonder whether she was really given any coaching during her off year.

Does anyone know anything specific about this? They were quite short-handed in 16-17; I would think that there would have been plenty of time during practices for the coaches to pay attention to the transfers. Azure from everything I've read is quite bright, so it would seem that she didn't develop any muscle memory during her transfer season.

Reaction Score
Actually, Z's improvement was quite remarkable from the beginning of the season to the end. With that said, she was never going to be a truly effective post player, which is really what UConn needed her to be. I think the same thing is true in the pros. Z is much more comfortable playing as a big wing than a center. As for Touly, I agree that her injury set her back substantially. Hopefully, she'll be a contributor this season.

Fully agree with both of these assessments. Late in the forth quarter of the national semi-final, if Notre Dame wasn't driving hard to the rim straight past a Husky who was in foul trouble, they were scoring off a back door cut on Z. That's basically why Geno couldn't get Katie-Lou off the court, despite wanting to do so, given that she had four fouls for much of the final frame. When he subbed Crystal back in for the final minutes, it was Z who came out, because Z had just missed a short jumper and a defensive assignment on consecutive plays.

But I don't think the coaches really should have or would have done anything differently with Z. There would have been a huge payoff for everyone concerned had she stayed the additional year, and I too believe that her decision not to came as a total surprise to Geno.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we sometimes miss the ebb and flow that characterized the National Semifinal vs ND. During the 2nd qtr when UConn stormed back to take a 7 pt lead at the half, the Huskies pushed the tempo, forced TO’s and spread the floor. Z was one of the keys as she ran the floor and had lots of room to operate and score.

But you have to give MM some credit. In the 2nd half, ND took better care of the ball and they collapsed on Z whenever UConn tried to get the ball to her, forcing her to take tough shots. At the same time, Shepard made Z work hard on the defensive end.

Z was simply not as effective in the 2nd half and UConn was never able to reestablish the dominance they showed during the 2nd qtr. I don’t blame Z. I give credit to ND for making a couple halftime adjustments that made a big difference in the game.

Reaction Score
I believe if Geno hadn’t given “z” the quick hook all season every time she missed a chippy or a defensive assignment , she would have been an even better player. She was never going to be a strong post player yet the coaches insisted on trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
It was not her fault that they did not recruit a center. They could have adjusted their offense to take advantage of her skills.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Gino handled Stevens wrong the whole year! Should have played her more minutes from day1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Natalie Butler gone and our starting center only 5’11”, Geno thought that Z, at 6’6”, should be a post player to fully utilize her height. He pushed her and pushed her on that point. Recall that Maya and Stewie preferred to drift around the perimeter and had to get accustomed to the physical play inside. I think Z made progress and would have continued that if she had stayed another year, as most people expected. For her to achieve her potential, she needs to play inside and outside.

Reaction Score
I think we sometimes miss the ebb and flow that characterized the National Semifinal vs ND. During the 2nd qtr when UConn stormed back to take a 7 pt lead at the half, the Huskies pushed the tempo, forced TO’s and spread the floor. Z was one of the keys as she ran the floor and had lots of room to operate and score.

But you have to give MM some credit. In the 2nd half, ND took better care of the ball and they collapsed on Z whenever UConn tried to get the ball to her, forcing her to take tough shots. At the same time, Shepard made Z work hard on the defensive end.

Z was simply not as effective in the 2nd half and UConn was never able to reestablish the dominance they showed during the 2nd qtr. I don’t blame Z. I give credit to ND for making a couple halftime adjustments that made a big difference in the game.
Once we got into foul trouble, Notre Dame exploited the situation relentlessly on both ends of the floor. Both their coach and their players do indeed deserve a lot of credit.

Some here felt that Geno should have started Z at the beginning of the second half. I never felt that way, and we were up comfortably early in the forth. I personally think the only mistake the head coach really made was not taking Lou out the moment she got her forth foul (and that conclusion still requires some degree of hindsight). Instead, ND drove on her twice for easy layups, after which Geno immediately called a time out (and kept her in the game). Unfortunately, by then the die was cast.

It sure will be interesting to see what adjustments Geno makes for this year in response to this loss, as I thought he did an excellent job of inoculating the team to the (different set of) conditions that led to the loss the year prior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once we got into foul trouble, Notre Dame exploited the situation relentlessly on both ends of the floor. Both their coach and their players do indeed deserve a lot of credit.

Some here felt that Geno should have started Z at the beginning of the second half. I never felt that way, and we were up comfortably early in the forth. I personally think the only mistake the head coach really made was not taking Lou out the moment she got her forth foul (and that conclusion still requires some degree of hindsight). Instead, ND drove on her twice for easy layups, after which Geno immediately called a time out (and kept her in the game). Unfortunately, by then the die was cast.

It sure will be interesting to see what adjustments Geno makes for this year in response to this loss, as I thought he did an excellent job of inoculating the team to the (different set of) conditions that led to the loss the year prior.

I was at the game. We lost for four reasons and I know this has been discussed at great length.

1. ND had TWO excellent players who could create their own shot at will(Ogunbowale & Young)
2. We couldn't stop dribble penetration(which was a huge problem because of #1).
3. We didn't have a guard that could create their own shot.
4. We've had trouble throughout our history of breaking down that ND zone because we don't run that kind of offense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I was at the game. We lost for four reasons and I know this has been discussed at great length.

1. ND had TWO excellent players who could create their own shot at will(Ogunbowale & Young)
2. We couldn't stop dribble penetration(which was a huge problem because of #1).
3. We didn't have a guard that could create their own shot.
4. We've had trouble throughout our history of breaking down that ND zone because we don't run that kind of offense.

ND was scoring in the first when they hit open shots or were able to behind UCONN’s defense.

When UCONN ran zone in the 2nd with Stevens anchoring inside, ND couldn’t score. Neither Arike or Young were getting good looks or penetrating. The dish to the open player for the layup wasn’t there either with Stevens anchoring the back of the 1-3-1. I have no idea why Geno opted to:
1. Go back to man to man in the third when they made their big run playing exclusively zone
2. Keep Stevens on the bench for all of the third, and then stick with man to man in the 4th.

Stevens was extremely effective in the 2nd, and she should’ve been put on the court early in the 3rd once ND started crawling back into it. By the time she re-entered the game (late in the third), ND was back in it and UCONN lost their mojo.

Considering how well Stevens was playing and how performed in the first matchup, leaving her on the bench and not switching back to that 1-3-1 was a major mistake by Geno IMO.

Reaction Score
Should have given her time from Lou, gabby, and pheesa. The team faded in the second half in many games .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Which AA’s minutes would you have reduced so that Z could play more, Gabby or Pheesa?
Both.
From Whom, should Geno have taken those minutes that you wanted Stevens to have?
Gabby, Pheesa, Crystal, Kia, KLS & Megan, hell even Kyla. It's really not that complicated, Azura led the team in both rebounding and FG% she was UCONN's most efficient player by a wide margin. Yet she averaged 20.9 minutes per game-not enough IMO. Even as the 6th man freshmen Crystal Dangerfield averaged 24 minutes per game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Should have given her time from Lou, gabby, and pheesa. The team faded in the second half in many games .
The team faded in the 2nd half of many games only because Geno sat Lou, Gabby, Pheesa and the other starters while clearing his bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Both.

Gabby, Pheesa, Crystal, Kia, KLS & Megan, hell even Kyla. It's really not that complicated, Azura led the team in both rebounding and FG% she was UCONN's most efficient player by a wide margin. Yet she averaged 20.9 minutes per game-not enough IMO. Even as the 6th man freshmen Crystal Dangerfield averaged 24 minutes per game.
A significant percentage of Z’s numbers were racked up against AAC teams who lacked the size to defend her. She was often the last regular rotation player left in the game during blowouts, against other teams subs. Z’s performance against the better teams on UConn’s schedule was mixed. Good games vs ND & TX. Not so good vs UCLA and SC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A significant percentage of Z’s numbers were racked up against AAC teams who lacked the size to defend her. She was often the last regular rotation player left in the game during blowouts, against other teams subs. Z’s performance against the better teams on UConn’s schedule was mixed. Good games vs ND & TX. Not so good vs UCLA and SC.
So you mean to tell me Z played well in the two games that just happened to be UCONN's closest margin of victory ( ND & TX)? Good catch, I forgot to add that to my supporting arguments for more playing time for Z. BTW those first two statement are not correct. Azura actually played FEWER minutes on Average in conference play than she did in Non-conference games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So you mean to tell me Z played well in the two games that just happened to be UCONN's closest margin of victory ( ND & TX)? Good catch, I forgot to add that to my supporting arguments for more playing time for Z. BTW those first two statement are not correct. Azura actually played FEWER minutes on Average in conference play than she did in Non-conference games.
The minutes Z played in conference games are not the issue. All the starters also played fewer minutes in conference games as well. My two points were 1) conference opponents typically could not match Z’s size
and 2) Z was often the last regular rotation player left in the game during blowouts. In fact, there were several games when UConn’s reserves struggled to score, when Z would clean up on the boards, collecting many of their missed shots for easy put backs.

Don’t get me wrong. Z was a key part of this year’s team, but she had some limitations. She worked hard to get better in the low post, but she was never as a effective as the top posts in the country, specifically Wilson, McGowan or Brown.

On defense in particular, she never quite got the concept of how to use her footwork and body to properly position herself to defend the paint. Z had a bad habit of swinging down at shots, often earning silly fouls in the process.

Compare Z to either ND’s Shepard or UConn’s Tuck, both shorter players who had tremendous footwork and understood how to use their bodies to defend and score against bigger opponents.

It would have been fascinating to see what Z could have become had she opted to return to UConn for one more year, but we will never know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The minutes Z played in conference games are not the issue. All the starters also played fewer minutes in conference games as well. My two points were 1) conference opponents typically could not match Z’s size
and 2) Z was often the last regular rotation player left in the game during blowouts. In fact, there were several games when UConn’s reserves struggled to score, when Z would clean up on the boards, collecting many of their missed shots for easy put backs.
Don’t get me wrong. Z was a key part of this year’s team, but she had some limitations. She worked hard to get better in the low post, but she was never as a effective as the top posts in the country, specifically Wilson, McGowan or Brown.
On defense in particular, she never quite got the concept of how to use her footwork and body to properly position herself to defend the paint. Z had a bad habit of swinging down at shots, often earning silly fouls in the process.
Compare Z to either ND’s Shepard or UConn’s Tuck, both shorter players who had tremendous footwork and understood how to use their bodies to defend and score against bigger opponents.
It would have been fascinating to see what Z could have become had she opted to return to UConn for one more year, but we will never know.
Despite her "limitations" (all players have them) Z was UCONN's most efficient player as measured by these tangible stats: (FG%, PER, Rebounding Rate, Total Rebounds, Offensive Rebounds, Blocks, Blocks/Minute). The most efficient player in all those categories should not have been 6th in minutes played.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Despite her "limitations" (all players have them) Z was UCONN's most efficient player as measured by these tangible stats: (FG%, PER, Rebounding Rate, Total Rebounds, Offensive Rebounds, Blocks, Blocks/Minute). The most efficient player in all those categories should not have been 6th in minutes played.
As to your last sentence, evidently she thought that too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Z had a nice year, but she also lead the team in fouls and probably defensive breakdowns if someone was keeping track. I think it’s important to understand when during a game and against which teams she piled up her stats.

The other issue for me is that, with some exceptions, UConn as a team was never quite as fluid with Z on the floor. Clearly, Pheesa did not have as good a season as her sophomore year, and much of that fall off had to do with Pheesa trying to find her role on offense while accommodating Z. I also think Z’s presence limited Gabby’s production.

Z was a valuable option off the bench and as a starter when a teammate was banged up. While it’s a close call, I just don’t see UConn as a significantly better team had Z gotten more PT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom