Transfer Rule Changing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Rule Changing?

Reaction Score
I really don't like this argument.

Regardless of what is generally regarded as actually being the reason, student athletes are given scholarships on the basis of being a student first. Transferring holds up their athletic eligibility but not their academics

For coaches that is their job. They can move around just like any of us are free to move around in our jobs.

If you want to get rid of the sitting out a year then take athletics out of college and just make it a independent minor league system. This gets rid of the facade that most of these high level kids are there to get an education
Student athletes generate all the revenue, don’t believe me go back and look at the Missouri football boycott

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If the coach bails, the kid should be able to as well without sitting out.

Now that's something I totally agree on. This should be the one caveat (outside of case by case unusual circumstances)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Let's bring on the chaos. Force these million dollar coaches be better, I side with the labor on this one.

Ha, until UCONN can't even field a team one year. There's only 5 to 6 coaches who are good enough to operate in this scenario, and they'd be the ones to benefit the most.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
imagine that, I suppose a lot more kids may start failing classes now :)

If you stay, we inflate your grade to help our APR. But if you think you're leaving, we're going to flunk you so you have to sit a year

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Ha, until UCONN can't even field a team one year. There's only 5 to 6 coaches who are good enough to operate in this scenario, and they'd be the ones to benefit the most.
There are more than 60 good players every year. UConn will be fine, or the coach will get better. Teams have to adapt or die this really isn't a big deal.

Reaction Score
I do like the academic standard requirements.

Overall, I like changing things up so I'm all for it, but where did we end up with stipends? Can some conferences give larger stipends to their student athletes? Would the teams that provide larger stipends end up out-bidding the other teams and cherry picking their talent.

Reaction Score
I'm not. You spend 5 years recruiting guys and then they can all bail at the end of a year, so you don't even have a program anymore. It's stupid.

A smart coach wouldn't recruit at all. Much more cost efficient, better evaluation, and overall better (due to age and experience) players earned by poaching. And if there's a one-time exception only, you then don't have to worry as much about them leaving after you've poached them once.

You could easily put together a super team of senior studs just by having 1 or 2 to start, then filling out the rest of the roster with guys chasing titles. Similar to how the top coaches get the one-and-done snowball going or NBA super teams.

You think Jalen Adams would be on UConn right now if he didn't have to sit out for transferring? 0% chance.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I really don't like this argument.

Regardless of what is generally regarded as actually being the reason, student athletes are given scholarships on the basis of being a student first. Transferring holds up their athletic eligibility but not their academics

For coaches that is their job. They can move around just like any of us are free to move around in our jobs.

If you want to get rid of the sitting out a year then take athletics out of college and just make it a independent minor league system. This gets rid of the facade that most of these high level kids are there to get an education

I'm not sure I follow your points.

They are by definition, not given a scholarship on the basis of being a student first. It's an athletic scholarship, not an academic scholarship.

A minor league system isn't a practical solution for anyone. There wouldn't be any interest and for the vast majority of the kids that want to earn degrees, there's no reason to forego college to play in it.

If a coach leaves or there are extenuating circumstances, then kids should be able to leave and play. But having kids actively recruited on their own campus to leave for a different school? Sounds like a massive can of worms.

Reaction Score
Student athletes generate all the revenue, don’t believe me go back and look at the Missouri football boycott
I'm aware of that, and never said otherwise. What does that have to do with what I said?

Reaction Score
Maybe a small upside for us, someone we almost land realizes they made a mistake.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If they are student athletes let them be students first not just when it's convenient for the NCAA.

Exactly.

Other students aren't barred from non academic activities after transferring schools .

Students who get academic money aren't barred from their classes for a year either.

Just need more consistency.

the Q

Reaction Score
Classic choice of Order vs Justice.
Always interesting to mark down who takes which side.

As with almost everything else, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

the Q

Reaction Score
Interesting theory.

Schools start putting players in harder classes that will just barely keep them eligible but so they can't transfer freely?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I love college basketball but it is hard to justify removing some of another human beings choices because I don't want my entertainment ruined.
The most absurd to me allowing paid coaches to leave but penalizing an unpaid kid.

Reaction Score
NCAA coaches loudly speaking out on potential transfer rule

Archie Miller, Indiana: “It would turn into one of the dirtiest recruiting periods that you've ever seen. You'll have guys talking to your players when they are in your gym. Coaches will recruit players right after games and now you can go directly to the source, it would cripple teams and programs.”

Chris Mack, Xavier: "I think it's ridiculous. There's a constant narrative on social media about the mass exodus of kids and how it's appalling so many kids opt to transfer. So now we want to make it easier to transfer? I don't see any logic in that line of thinking. Doesn't surprise me, but it's a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I transferred years ago and I sat out a year. Did me a world of good. It's not the negative people make it out to be."

Kermit Davis, Middle Tennessee State: “The power 5 will be doing most of their recruiting off the other teams. Recruiting on each other's campus, ridiculous. Will bring in college coaches Wrestle Mania. Will be the worst rule in the history of college hoops"

Jamion Christian, Mount St. Mary's: “It makes it impossible to build a program. These kids are going to choose your school, looking for an opportunity to move up every year. It’s going to impact everyone. You won’t be able to have depth. I don’t know if high majors think that, but I think it’ll impact every single program because if guys don’t play they’ll leave. Everyone becomes a JUCO. It’s going to impact everyone. College should always be about graduating. But the NCAA isn’t making this about graduating, they’re making it about year to year eligibility.”

polycom

Reaction Score
NCAA coaches loudly speaking out on potential transfer rule

Archie Miller, Indiana: “It would turn into one of the dirtiest recruiting periods that you've ever seen. You'll have guys talking to your players when they are in your gym. Coaches will recruit players right after games and now you can go directly to the source, it would cripple teams and programs.”

Chris Mack, Xavier: "I think it's ridiculous. There's a constant narrative on social media about the mass exodus of kids and how it's appalling so many kids opt to transfer. So now we want to make it easier to transfer? I don't see any logic in that line of thinking. Doesn't surprise me, but it's a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I transferred years ago and I sat out a year. Did me a world of good. It's not the negative people make it out to be."

Kermit Davis, Middle Tennessee State: “The power 5 will be doing most of their recruiting off the other teams. Recruiting on each other's campus, ridiculous. Will bring in college coaches Wrestle Mania. Will be the worst rule in the history of college hoops"

Jamion Christian, Mount St. Mary's: “It makes it impossible to build a program. These kids are going to choose your school, looking for an opportunity to move up every year. It’s going to impact everyone. You won’t be able to have depth. I don’t know if high majors think that, but I think it’ll impact every single program because if guys don’t play they’ll leave. Everyone becomes a JUCO. It’s going to impact everyone. College should always be about graduating. But the NCAA isn’t making this about graduating, they’re making it about year to year eligibility.”

Of course these coaches don't want students to leave. People say these students aren't special compared to other students and shouldn't be paid since other students aren't paid, therefore they should be able to transfer to new schools just like any other student.

Reaction Score
Of course these coaches don't want students to leave. People say these students aren't special compared to other students and shouldn't be paid since other students aren't paid, therefore they should be able to transfer to new schools just like any other student.

They can transfer to new schools just like any other student without any restrictions.

They just can't then play basketball for a year.

polycom

Reaction Score
They can transfer to new schools just like any other student without any restrictions.

They just can't then play basketball for a year.

Why not? They are student athletes. Student researchers have no problem transferring schools to do research. Why are there different rules for athletics I thought all students are equal since they aren't employees.

the Q

Reaction Score
Bilas's article is on point today.

NCAA hoisted on its own petard with their claims that these kids are students and basketball is essentially a hobby to the kids, but big business to the universities.

the Q

Reaction Score
Why not? They are student athletes. Student researchers have no problem transferring schools to do research. Why are there different rules for athletics I thought all students are equal since they aren't employees.

This is a good point bilas makes too.

Apparently, the NCAA doesn't even require sitting out for all sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom