Transfer Rule Changing? | The Boneyard

Transfer Rule Changing?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
No thanks. Players can just bail whenever there's a down year. They already do that to some extent, but they have to wait a year, which means that there's a reason to stick around and make the best of it. That leads to more team cohesion and guys that can really commit to a program. This change basically just has everybody looking out for themselves and I'm sure people would move around a lot more. A lot of breakthrough players at midmajors would probably jump at the chance to be called up to the power conferences if they get an offer. Basically, schools would be recruiting against each other, even after players commit. Not a fan.

I do agree though that it would be seismic.

Reaction Score
this plus one-and-dones just continues to create a culture of mercenaries. I'm ok with a one-time transfer without sitting out but if they don't put limits in it will be chaos.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The count this year for kids willing to sit out year was huge. This would quadruple it. It would be the Wild West.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think signing kids to a four year guaranteed paid contract would solve a lot of the issues presented here

I've always felt a school should guarantee a degree. Kids shouldn't be discarded once their eligibility is up. As long as they're going to class and making the grades, the free ride should continue without taking a scholarship from the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've always felt a school should guarantee a degree. The kid shouldn't be discarded once their eligibility is up. As long as they're going to class and making the grades, the free ride should continue without taking a scholarship from the team.

Agreed.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What's the rule now if a kid plays, but is not in scholarship? Can s/he transfer without sitting a year?

Reaction Score
I know the human rights activists have been wanting to put this one in the W column for a while now, no matter the cost, but this could legitimately ruin college athletics and by association college athletes.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting and extrapolating my own feelings onto other people, but I don't think you have to be the old man chasing the geese of his lawn to see the danger here. Mid-major programs will become farm systems for P5 schools, and even if UConn is on the right side of the ledger, that'd be curtains for me.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Post game team handshake conversations if this passes:
" Dude I know you guys lost but we couldn't stop you so why did your coach take you out". "You see what we got coming back next year and your best guys are graduating so you should come play with us next year". Teams will lose kids based on things as simple as that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
According to the article this would give players a ONE time exemption.

Any future transfer would require sitting out.

I guess this would put an end to the graduate transfers unless this would be their first transfer.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
this plus one-and-dones just continues to create a culture of mercenaries. I'm ok with a one-time transfer without sitting out but if they don't put limits in it will be chaos.

I'm not. You spend 5 years recruiting guys and then they can all bail at the end of a year, so you don't even have a program anymore. It's stupid.

Also man, you think recruiting is dirty now, wait til you enact this monstrosity. Poaching players would become an art form. I'm guessing Calipari would shine.

This would further advantage the Top Tier programs. Anyone who was under-recruited, and kills it, would jump to Duke/UK/UNC after freshman year in a heartbeat. They'd be fielding super teams every single year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yikes. The NCAA has a lot of horrible rules, but this was not one of them.

Maybe I'm alone, but I just find myself less interested in college hoops every year.

Reaction Score
I don't support this, think it would lead to insanity and some scummy recruiting of other teams' players. That being said, I'm curious how this would actually turn out. On one hand you'd almost certainly see the big time mid major players jump to the big stage quickly but it also would allow guys at places like Kentucky that get recruited over to drop down and take bigger roles. My initial assumption is that this would disproportionately help the blue bloods and P5 but some mid majors would be reaping serious rewards the other way too.

Reaction Score
If the coach bails, the kid should be able to as well without sitting out.

I think this would cause the NCAA to become a bigger joke than it already is.

Can you imagine free agency essentially every single summer?
I really don't like this argument.

Regardless of what is generally regarded as actually being the reason, student athletes are given scholarships on the basis of being a student first. Transferring holds up their athletic eligibility but not their academics

For coaches that is their job. They can move around just like any of us are free to move around in our jobs.

If you want to get rid of the sitting out a year then take athletics out of college and just make it a independent minor league system. This gets rid of the facade that most of these high level kids are there to get an education

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Let's bring on the chaos. Force these million dollar coaches be better, I side with the labor on this one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom