Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Behind the scenes work starts in January, not April.

Pre-portal work is becoming prevalent with third parties. Oftentimes agents, advisors or family friends are lining up potential destinations for their players long before their name ever appears in the transfer portal.

"You'll call a kid and it's like, 'Hey, how's it going?'" Colorado College coach Kris Mayotte said. "Then, the next day, they're committed somewhere. It's like, 'You went in... yesterday.' It's pretty obvious what's going on."

The most common method of operation is this: A player will inform his agent he's unhappy with his current situation. The agent, in turn, calls a bunch of programs and asks if they'd be interested in this particular player if he hit the portal. The agent then reports back to the player what his options will look like. Then, the player decides whether or not to jump in the portal.

It's so prevalent that one coach told the Herald: "If you see a top player go in the portal and you haven't gotten a call on him yet, you're out."

"They're the puppeteers," Miami coach Chris Bergeron said. "They're doing everything. Unfortunately, I think the portal is starting in January. It's happening. That's through the agent and not the kid. I don't think people are going to the kid in January. I think people are going through the agent, or the agent is going to other schools and saying, 'Johnny's not happy at A.'

"It's happening in January, not April. I think (agents) are playing a huge role and I'll leave it at that."

"Almost everyone goes in (to the portal) knowing that they have something waiting — at least the kids that are choosing to go in," Mayotte said. "If a team puts someone in, that's a completely different story. That's where it might be open and there might actually be a recruiting process. But when the kid decides to go in, he's not walking away from a scholarship just to see what's out there."

"There are several categories of transfers," Western Michigan coach Pat Ferschweiler said. "There's the guy who goes in who already has his place through his agent. We weren't in on any of those guys. Our transfers were guys who went into the portal with somewhat openness. I don't think they're open to 64 teams. But they're open to a category of teams. Then, we had to win a recruiting battle. That's where we got into the portal.

"Yes, the agents are involved. 'Would you be interested in him?' Those kinds of things. And they're able to be involved. It's beneficial to us and beneficial to the kid to see what opportunities are out there. I would say the top players already have a destination before they go in. I won't bring up names, but yes, the second the name hit the portal, I contact the players and they said they already had a place to play."

Pioneers coach David Carle said he did receive calls from third parties floating players who could go into the portal.

"Our phone rings a lot, asking, 'Hey, would you be interested in so-and-so? Would you be interested in this type of player?'" Carle said. "We chose not to recruit anybody out of the portal. We didn't get involved with anyone and attempt to recruit them, but every year is different."

"You're almost a GM now as much as you're a coach," Omaha coach Mike Gabinet said. "It doubles the workload. I don't know if it's what we all signed up for, but it's the reality of the current environment. Nowadays, you're not just watching available guys, you have to have a good understanding of everybody, because you don't know who is going to be in the portal at any given time. It definitely has expanded your scope of knowledge."

The last team to win an NCAA national title without a transfer on the roster was 2016 North Dakota. The last team to win a national title without a transfer playing a central role was 2017 Denver.

Reaction Score
Breakdown on the 2023 transfer portal by therinklive.com

287 players entered the portal

42 more than last year

41% were seniors

9% were NHL picks

7% transferred previously

54% scored 5 points or less in ‘22-‘23

93.7% found teams, 75% at another D1 school

10 schools did not get anyone out of the portal

2 schools had no one enter the portal

BU, Northeastern, Providence, UMass, and Wisconsin had the most enter (9)

Hockey East had the highest average of players entering the portal (6.3)

Hockey East players tended to transfer to Atlantic Hockey or another Hockey East school

Reaction Score
Northeastern’s Gunnarwolfe Fontaine is in the portal

Nashville pick is going somewhere to play his 5th year instead of turning pro

Must have got a nice deal from a school (Big Ten? Arizona State?)

Reaction Score
During his podcast last week, Mike McMahon stated coaches have been asking other schools for permission to speak with players only to find out some players already have deals set up with other schools.

Reaction Score
Jake Black is in the transfer portal
Didn't get even ice time which sucks because I thought he was good when he was out there. Will probably be able to go to an Atlantic Hockey school and be a contributor right away

Reaction Score
Jake Black is in the transfer portal

"Black is the fourth confirmed departure for UConn this season, joining Jake Flynn, Andrew Lucas and Harrison Rees, who exhausted their eligibility. Hudson Schandor and John Spetz are still deciding whether to return for a fifth season while Matthew Wood, Chase Bradley, Ethan Haider and Arsenii Sergeev could be potential NHL signees.

On the flip side, the Huskies have already made an addition through the transfer portal: Defensemen Nick Carabin out of Princeton."

Reaction Score
You said that the underclassmen portal doesn't open until next week, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but how are underclassmen entering right now? - John

Players can enter immediately if there is a coaching change or if their financial aid is pulled. I am not speaking to anyone's case specifically. Still, generally, if an underclassman enters before the window opens (and their coach wasn't fired), it probably means the program pulled the players' scholarship and made cuts.

Reaction Score

“UConn men’s hockey has a second player in the transfer portal: Sophomore forward Mark D’Agostino.

The North Branford, Connecticut native has not appeared in a game during his two seasons with the Huskies. He arrived in Storrs in 2022 after spending one season in the BCHL with the Powell River Kings, where he put up 13 goals and 12 assists in 54 games.’

Reaction Score
(D) Nick Carabin to Connecticut (1 YOE)

Carabin has the potential to be UConn's top defenseman next season, replacing Andrew Lucas, who is graduating. He also has good offensive instincts.

Jack Ricketts, Sr., C, Holy Cross (3.33 GS/60)

Like Risk, Ricketts is one of the top-rated forwards in the portal. He had 35 points (19g-16a) in 39 games for the Crusaders. He led all portal players with 127 shots on goal and was good on faceoffs. Ricketts is in the portal with a "do not contact" designation, and word is Quinnipiac is the favorite to land him.

Reaction Score

Sergeev they could have won games with

Really improved after the 2 month break with Stalletti

Samu never developed to the player he could have been but that has become the m.o. of this program

Not a good look for the program to lose your 3 most high profile NHL draft picks.

It’s really a terrible look nationally and to recruits for a middling program like UConn to have this happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a good look for the program to lose your 3 most high profile NHL draft picks.
Yup… but realistically I dont see a leadership change unless someone outside the Athletic Department ponies up $2.5m +/-to buy out Cav’s contract. In my mind the best one can hope for is a AD Dave/Coach Cav come to Jesus convo and possible staff changes/additions?

I just don’t see UConn eating that $$ amount for hockey.

Reaction Score
Yup… but realistically I dont see a leadership change unless someone ponies up $2.5m +/-to buy out Cav’s contract. In my mind the best one can hope for is a AD Dave/Coach Cav come to Jesus convo and possible staff changes/additions?
I have questions on the younger Pereira. I don’t know if Cav was doing a favor to Joe by hiring him. I thought Cav should have gone with a more experienced assistant like Albie O’Connell but now he’s out at Arizona State.

Reaction Score
Lots of good college players in the portal. Would rather see us have three more lines like 8,9 &10 then continue to wait for one or two players to carry a team.

UConn still has a lot of hard workers who may shine with more playing time. Would be great if #22 comes back.

Reaction Score
Yeah I look at the staff and I wonder if any of them can get into Teds. Obviously joking but you wonder if it's time to add a grizzled vet who would be interested in joining the staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom