Transfer Portal | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This staff is locked down on the recruiting front. Very little news gets out unless someone has a connection to the family or their AAU team. Literally... nothing.
Not an insider, but I am assuming UConn wants it quiet. There is no reason to be publicly linked to a transfer. When you hear UConn's involvement, it should be if said player is on a visit.
What is the benefit of keeping it quiet? Seems like all these $EC teams or whoever want their names out there because they're connected to literally everyone lol

Reaction Score
Little surprised ppl aren't more intrigued by the St. Peter's kids. That's a tourney proven pg with Banks and a shooter with Edert. Both a little undersized but held up defensively against the Kentucky's of the world. We are loaded with jersey city connections with the Hurleys. Think they are both just destined for seton hall?
Saint Peter's was a heck of a story and it was a blast rooting for them, but when you boil it down, it's three players from the MAAC who averaged 6.8, 9.5 and 11.3 ppg.

Maybe Daryl Banks III would be a helpful two-way shooter who could also pester the team's PG? I can see him replacing Jamir Harris in Seton Hall as an undersized shooting guard.

Saint Peter's is a team where the sum is greater than its parts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No overlap, Dawes was a freshman in college the one year Sanogo was there/Johnson's 1st year there
makes sense! i don't know if i realized that sanogo was only there for one year.

i did not watch a second of clemson basketball, but i don't mind the idea of a shooting combo guard to play the role of sterling gibbs to andre jackson's daniel hamilton.

Reaction Score
Little surprised ppl aren't more intrigued by the St. Peter's kids. That's a tourney proven pg with Banks and a shooter with Edert. Both a little undersized but held up defensively against the Kentucky's of the world. We are loaded with jersey city connections with the Hurleys. Think they are both just destined for seton hall?
I know my kid is like just take all 3 - you get two guys that can get shots themselves (our biggest issue to me) & Doug E Fresh to bomb threes.

If it's two birds with one stone what's the expression for 3 lol! Love Banksie & Dougie! (I know Hurley wants size, I want UConn shot creators). I know they prob can't fit b/c of size or maybe they played over their head, but it's fun to think about lineups with multiple guys that can ball at the guard position!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i did not watch a second of clemson basketball, but i don't mind the idea of a shooting combo guard to play the role of sterling gibbs to andre jackson's daniel hamilton.
My nephew is a big Clemson fan (a 11 year old bandwagoner who started liking them just because of Trevor Lawrence), so we've watched a few Clemson games over the last two years.

Clemson is a physical, grinding, high-compete team and Dawes provided them a refreshing burst of athleticism and quickness while Honor was a tough, physical guard. Honor would fit nicely on VIllanova's squad of post-up guards.

If we get Dawes, I'd also like another veteran PG to pair with him. That could be a mid-major guy who plays ~15 mpg. Just spitballin', but UIC's Maurice Commander (10.3p, 43.2 3p%) would be a nice fit for that spot, but that's shooting low, IMO. Personally, I'd love Tyreke Key, a physical and decent shooting combo guard from Indiana State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dawes is a solid player. Wouldn't say he's a MAJOR difference maker, but he's certainly good enough to start in the Big East. If we went that route, I'd really want to make sure we got another PG as well though. Don't see him taking up Cole type minutes.

Reaction Score
What is the benefit of keeping it quiet? Seems like all these $EC teams or whoever want their names out there because they're connected to literally everyone lol

SEC is a different world. One of our coaches has said it's about respecting the kids. If that family wants to let info leak to reporters, so be it. It isn't the place of our staff to leak info on the most important decision of some kid's life. It's disrespectful.

Reaction Score
Speaking of which..

Richards ranks among transfers (out of 1000+ entrants)...
  • 17th in RAPM. On/off numbers reflect more impactful on offense than defense.
  • 13th in Evan Miya BPR. 5*. 16th O, 40th D.
  • 38th in PORPAGTU! Fairly low usage among the top transfers, but scaling this by class shows him as the 4th best ranked among freshmen transfers.
Statistical profile:
  • Good rebounder, especially for a freshman.
  • Great finisher in the paint. 68% at the rim is elite, elite stuff for a wing, especially for a freshman. You usually have to do a lot of dunking to get that high. Smaller sample size, but his finishing nose-dived against A+B tier teams (49% in 10 games).
  • Takes half his shots from 3. 32% overall, 80% FT% bodes well for improvement. Only shot 24% from 3 in conference play, so must have had a major slump, 44% in non-conf.
  • Reasonable assist rate for a spot up shooter type (94% assisted on 3s). Standard low turnover rate for the role.
  • Draws fouls at about the same rate as Tyrese did. Which is to say some, but not as many as you'd expect.
Seems like Florida and Clemson are the current frontrunners.

Reaction Score
If we get Dawes, I'd also like another veteran PG to pair with him. That could be a mid-major guy who plays ~15 mpg
this seems very reasonable and realistic, especially based on the past mutual interest with dawes.

since he seems like a shoot first PG (2.2 apg for his career) i'd be happy with him and a backup ball handler, like you said.

third spot to the best wing we can get. i'd love nolley but sounds like locke had the most mutual interest the last time around.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This staff is locked down on the recruiting front. Very little news gets out unless someone has a connection to the family or their AAU team. Literally... nothing.
This is correct. Almost everything I used to get has dried up in the past four or five months.

Personally frustrating, but overall it's clearly for the best.

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie at The Athletic put together his top 35 transfers in the portal. Will Richard came in at #6 for college players (undecided high school and international players were also listed). Super encouraging write-up and someone who we should be really excited the staff is after.

10. Will Richard | 6-5 wing | freshman | Belmont

Richard has become the most sought-after mid-major underclassman in the portal following his terrific season at Belmont. The 6-foot-5 guard was named to the OVC All-Newcomer team this year after averaging 12 points, six rebounds, two assists and over a steal per game. He’s a genuine long-term NBA draft prospect who somehow slipped through the cracks and fell to Belmont, at 6-foot-5 with something in the range of a plus-six wingspan that is really evident on the court. You can feel his length out there. He moves like an NBA player moves, with terrific footwork and polish as well as strong slashing and finishing ability. He plays well off the ball, and is used to running high-level actions from playing in Belmont’s offense. He can shoot off the catch, direct off of dribble-hand-offs, or whatever you need. He also has high-level defensive ability. Basically, as soon as the shot comes around — and it will given his touch; he just needs to work on some slight tweaks such as finishing higher as opposed to farther out in front of his face — he’s going to be a high-level scorer for whatever team he ends up on.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I love how 2.5 years ago we’d all prefer Gaffney over Dawes and now it’s like “OH YES GIVE ME DAWES”

Reaction Score
Darrion Trammell to San Diego State. 17.3 ppg at Seattle. With Gomez two years ago, they have experience with undersized scorers.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Please just let us get Ramey(Texas) & Newton(ECU)…add another ball handler and call it even.

Reaction Score
Please just let us get Ramey(Texas) & Newton(ECU)…add another ball handler and call it even.
If we get ramey and newton and another ball handler then we probably don't have enough minutes for everyone. I would really prefer one guy who can play big minutes and one veteran who can run the point for a few minutes who we have no intention of relying on

Reaction Score
If we get ramey and newton and another ball handler then we probably don't have enough minutes for everyone. I would really prefer one guy who can play big minutes and one veteran who can run the point for a few minutes who we have no intention of relying on

Get as many good players as possible and let them battle it out in practice. Playing time is earned.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We don't need more than 2 guards - but they both need to be able to run the point.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
SHOOTING COMBO GUARD ALERT

Clemson's Al-Amir Dawes, 6'2 182 with two years of eligibility remaining. From Newark.

11.3p, 2.8r, 2.3a, 1.6 to, 0.9s. 42.2 2p%, 39.8 3p% (70% shot attempts are from three) and 84.7 ft%.

Not a true PG, per se, but with his shooting abilities, he would stretch the floor perfectly for Jackson, Hawkins, etc to attack the rim and Sanogo to do his thing in the post. Lots of kick out potential with Dawes.

I'd be very happy if we get him.
That’s the winner. Exactly what we need. UConn/Jersey toughness fits our style to a T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom