Transfer Portal | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
9.6p last year. Career 38.7 3p% with about 2/3rds of his shots coming from deep.

He's a good three-point shooter, but not much else: Career 40.8 2p% is low, only 1 fta/game, 2.3r, 1 assist, 0.5 steals.

I'm lukewarm.
Can he run the point or is he just a small version of Polley?

Reaction Score
With an older Hawkins and Floyd in the fold, we're a less good destination this year. Shooting is always nice, though.
Small Polley. Probably worse than just a small Polley. Polley didn't shoot inside the arc at all, but this guy does and usually misses. And he has one of the lowest free throw rates I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Just to get an idea of his rep as a three point shooter...

His 285 career made 3s in 124 games would be the best all-time at UConn (Rashad is currently #1 with 276 made in 130 games). He is also at 2.30 3-Point FG Made Per Game, which would put him behind Ben Gordon (2.32), Ray Allen (2.31) and tied with Rip.

want indeed.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as reality slowly sets in that the overwhelming and vast majority of choices available in the portal are just so much flotsam and jetsum rolling down the toxic infused creek next to the sewer plant, let's just get my expected comment out of the way now.
substitute 'he' for 'it.'
The-Critic-cartoon-it-stinks.jpg

Reaction Score
I think a Polley replacement is accurate. Insiders said last year there was a transfer ready to come until Polley returned and he seemed like the most likely guy to fit that

Reaction Score
Locke is fine as third guard to me since he’s so limited off the bounce. But we’re UConn recruit some quick guards that can dribble/create - seems like Hurley doesn’t really like prefer our type guards. Wants taller, slower or can’t put it on floor and create like Locke. Am i seeing this wrong?

He’d have loved the Harrison twins lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With an older Hawkins and Floyd in the fold, we're a less good destination this year. Shooting is always nice, though.

Small Polley. Probably worse than just a small Polley. Polley didn't shoot inside the arc at all, but this guy does and usually misses. And he has one of the lowest free throw rates I've ever seen.

With an older Hawkins and Floyd no Div 1 with any skill is worried about PT at UConn next year.

Hawkins showed flashes but was inconsistent. Floyd will be a RS FR with zero minutes of CBB under his belt. And that's it on the roster. There are minutes and opportunities galore for any player with skill and confidence.

Reaction Score
With an older Hawkins and Floyd no Div 1 with any skill is worried about PT at UConn next year.

Hawkins showed flashes but was inconsistent. Floyd will be a RS FR with zero minutes of CBB under his belt. And that's it on the roster. There are minutes and opportunities galore for any player with skill and confidence.
Put it this way...

Locke is a complementary piece. We currently don't have enough scoring elsewhere (very little at PF and SF, PG ???) to start a complementary piece at SG. So we pretty much have to empower Hawkins. Hawkins has a much higher ceiling on both sides of the ball.

If Locke wants to come here and be a backup 2/3, great. Floyd will also eat into his minutes and has been in the system longer.

That seems unlikely, though. But maybe he regrets not picking us last year and still really likes Hurley and will do it just on the promise of a competition. The other possibility is that Hurley will start Andre at the 4 this upcoming year. In that case, there's a lot more minutes on the wing for Locke.

I do think we need to value shooting, but Locke's RAPM has been remarkably consistent between his years at Florida and his year at Lousiville, and it's clear he's just a role player. 4th starter on a bad team, 6th or 7th man on a decent one. He's already 22, has gotten starter minutes for a few years now, and not very system dependent, so I wouldn't expect a huge improvement.

Reaction Score
Biggest issue was that last year, when the ball went down low, teams collapsed cause there was no one to keep them honest beyond 3. If we can add Locke, have Hawk, Floyd can shoot it decent (per posters at least) and Karaban is knock down, it should help the team out immensely

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Give me Nolley as a shooter.

Watched Locke last year to see what we were missing out on. For our team he has to come in and do more than just function as an OK shooter from three. Would not mind him in Gaffney's role as a 3rd guard off the bench. Locke must improve as a driver and as a player who affects the game whether as a defensive disruptor, steals, etc, or an aggressive drive and kick guy offensively. He has to give more than just the three.

Reaction Score
The other possibility is that Hurley will start Andre at the 4 this upcoming year. In that case, there's a lot more minutes on the wing for Locke.
to be fair locke was a starter on three 20+ win florida squads, those weren't bad teams. if locke is the third best transfer we land i'll be gobmacked. our offense would have been much better with him starting instead of whaley.

i think hurley takes the 3 best transfers he can get so long as one is a starting PG and another is a backup ball handler and he'll adjust our lineups based on personnel. if we get locke i could see:

Transfer PG / Locke / Hawk / AJ / Sanogo with Transfer CG / Floyd / Karaban / Akok / Samson off the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far Cross or Nolley intrigue me to replace Martin. I'm hoping Murray has a relationship with Cross and is working that possibility. I watched Cross a bunch when he played at Brewster. We didn't seem associated with the Princeton guard I liked. Otherwise, the PG prospects just don't seem good enough to give us the boost we need to be a second weekend team. I haven't seen several, so would love to read a post advocating a target as good enough to move the needle.

Reaction Score
So far Cross or Nolley intrigue me to replace Martin. I'm hoping Murray has a relationship with Cross and is working that possibility. I watched Cross a bunch when he played at Brewster. We didn't seem associated with the Princeton guard I liked. Otherwise, the PG prospects just don't seem good enough to give us the boost we need to be a second weekend team. I haven't seen several, so would love to read a post advocating a target as good enough to move the needle.
iirc didnt cross get kicked off miami as a frosh? and now he's looking for his third school in 3 years? the louisville departure is unsurprising and while i dont remember what the deal was at miami, larranaga seems like a really nice grandpa so that could be a concern.

Reaction Score
I can understand another person's doubts. I've seen Cross enough in the past to believe in him. At Brewster he was a big 2G that had to play center and battled much bigger players with adequate success on defense. His shot was deep and dependable on a significant number of attempts. My vague recollection regarding Miami was that he left them team when he just burned out and questioned continuing with basketball. Maybe there was more to it. At Miami as a frosh, he shot 40% from 3 on 3.6 attempts per game, and 87% FT. That is the player I knew and what I think he can be. I have no opinions as to why his stats were worse across the board at Louisville against the same teams. I only watched Louisville once. 6'7 225lbs. I bet he can return to Miami stats. (Also 3.5RPG there)

Reaction Score
He went from starting mid-year to scoring zero points in 5 of the last 6 games of the season. I remember him being a decent shooter at Miami but I don't see why we'd take a risk on this kid.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Nolley. He’s a big guard who can play the 2-3. If you want to play 4 out I think it’s nice to have big guards. Hence KU.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I agree there is something to vet. I'm just willing to see the demonstrated upside. I'd like to see a Martin sized player with an outside shot to match up on similar sized players. Cross and Nolley are 2 in the portal that I believe meet that 'need'. Anybody else we are considering ever have a season shooting 40% from 3 and 87% from the line? With the bonus of having northeast connections and some interaction with our staff. I don't view the risk as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom