Transfer portal thread, part II | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn’t Charlie Collier back out the year before as well. Definitely a down couple years recruiting.
I also think on that decision from her side. What did she get except 4 years at an also ran. It was a good platform for the draft for her. Did she get what she wanted from Texas? I suspect not.

Reaction Score
The wild card is DeBerry. If she improves and Geno has confidence in her, doubt any bigs will be added from transfer portal. In high school, our tallest player was very passive. The coach challenged him and gave him a milkshake every time he had a physical game. By year end, he had gained 15 lbs. Let's hope DeBerry has lots of "milkshakes" in her.
Deberry isn't a twig. I'm just not certain if she'll return to being a center like she was in hs or a 3pt shooter like we saw in her mop up minutes. I got the impression that she knew she wasn't going to be playing a lot...so when she did get in she dabbled...and they didn't mind her taking those shots. No way can I believe that they recruited her to be a 3 point center. I think she is way better than what we saw this year and why they don't seem overly pressed to grab a center out of the portal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lot of bad luck for several successive years. It wasn't just one year but the accumulation. SO you can point at 1 year and say "so what" but it's "each successive year" there was an issue.

1-- In 2015 had the commit from De'Janae Boykin. ; left UCONN Dec 2015 her frosh year. Never played. Held a scholarship for that long in which she had some size and athleticism which later we know affects UCONN long-term.

2--- In 2016 only got 1 top recruit; Dangerfield (and Kyla Irwin and Molly Bent). And while she was good, she was never an All-American.

3--- In 2017 only Megan Walker stays (for 3 years) while the others (3 other recruits) leave without ever coming and 2 others play 1-2 years before leaving. So between 2016 and 2017 UCONN only has two top recruits, as a result during Dangerfield's last year, there were only two top recruit upperclassmen and no other decent upperclassmen.

4--- After the 2018, UCONN's Azura Stevens surprises and leaves. Another big that was a transfer expected to help; Batouly Camara is hurt all season, and then incoming number 2 overall recruit Charli Collier (a bit of a banging center) de-commits from UCONN on 9/22 after UCONN held the commit for 9-10 months. SO UCONN gets more of the finesse center in Liv. And what happens in 2018-2019 season in NCAA Tourney? Notre Dame crushes UCONN on the glass.

5--- Through the end of 2020, only one All-American was produced (CWill, Liv and Evina never were A/A as a result vs the good teams UCONN wasn't "dominant" like the past.). And that one year the team was woefully small.

How do you expect "to dominate" under these circumstances? Considering that the 2016 class didn't have much and losing 3 players from the 2017 class, the 2018 class never produced an All-American, and the 2019 class were not top recruits and have been hurt for significant time/ and or left UCONN and/or were role players.

Lats two years has bene different. Getting players. Don';t need as much from the Portal either. A very good big who can play fast pace would help but necessary.
UConn assistant coach Marisa Moseley‘s departure for Boston University as its new head coach during this time didn’t help things either. She had formed on-going relationships with a lot of players in those classes.

UConn had to get back up to speed with her replacement (Jasmine Lister) who was there less than 2 years. Lister left on Jan 9, 2020 right after the Baylor game. That’s when Jamelle Elliott came back temporarily to fill the unexpected void left by Lister. We lost quite a few potential recruits during this time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I also think on that decision from her side. What did she get except 4 years at an also ran. It was a good platform for the draft for her. Did she get what she wanted from Texas? I suspect not.
Well for starters Charli got to be the number 1 pick in the WNBA draft and stayed close to home where her remaining family ( father passed away) could easier watch her games. BTW she only spent 3 years in college. I suspect she got exactly what she wanted and much more.

Reaction Score
Well for starters Charli got to be the number 1 pick in the WNBA draft and stayed close to home where her remaining family ( father passed away) could easier watch her games. BTW she only spent 3 years in college. I suspect she got exactly what she wanted and much more.
But this means you agree with me. The family connection was a factor that was never going to be overcome by anything UConn could offer. This means it was not really a missed opportunity for us despite what some have suggested. However, in terms of a pure bball stage, Texas got her to the top of the draft in a thin draft year as I said, but nothing else.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But this means you agree with me. The family connection was a factor that was never going to be overcome by anything UConn could offer. This means it was not really a missed opportunity for us despite what some have suggested. However, in terms of a pure bball stage, Texas got her to the top of the draft in a thin draft year as I said, but nothing else.
No I do not agree with you. Your question was: Did she get what she wanted from Texas? You answered your own question by saying : I suspect not. I suspect that she did get everything she wanted out of Texas including the ability to be closer to home so that her family could watch her play. Did you think Charli signed with Texas expecting to win a National Championship or something like that?

Reaction Score
No I do not agree with you. Your question was: Did she get what she wanted from Texas? You answered your own question by saying : I suspect not. I suspect that she did get everything she wanted out of Texas including the ability to be closer to home so that her family could watch her play. Did you think Charli signed with Texas expecting to win a National Championship or something like that?
Sure. I did say that. But it was in the larger context of folks suggesting we’d missed out on a number of golden recruiting opportunities. Understood in the context of the thread, it’s clear that your points are simply consonant with mine.

To repeat, if her choice was guided by family considerations, then there was no basketball way to interest her in UConn, and there’s no point in grousing about it. This seems to have been your point and I agree. We can only recruit kids from across the nation by offering basketball opportunities. In choosing Texas, she gave those up. At UConn, she might have helped win a NC. What she retained was a platform for the draft, as I pointed out. But this was all.

Reaction Score
Does anyone not see that had Collier honored her commitment to UConn, it is highly probable that Olivia would have gone elsewhere. I fail to see how having Collier instead of ONO would have made the chance to win an NC that much greater. Her impact in the WNBA has so far been minuscule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure. I did say that. But it was in the larger context of folks suggesting we’d missed out on a number of golden recruiting opportunities. Understood in the context of the thread, it’s clear that your points are simply consonant with mine.

To repeat, if her choice was guided by family considerations, then there was no basketball way to interest her in UConn, and there’s no point in grousing about it. This seems to have been your point and I agree. We can only recruit kids from across the nation by offering basketball opportunities. In choosing Texas, she gave those up. At UConn, she might have helped win a NC. What she retained was a platform for the draft, as I pointed out. But this was all.
That's not my point. Charli Collier played basketball at Texas or do you think she went to Texas because of the good chemistry program? Any basketball scholarship is about basketball opportunities regardless if it is a BB scholarship to UCONN or Memphis State. People are absolutely correct in suggesting that UCONN missed out on a number of golden opportunities and Charli Collier was among them. Do you actually know what happened with her recruitment or do you need a refresher? For example, do you realize that she was committed to Texas prior to committing to UCONN before changing her mind and returning to her original commitment of Texas? Do you know the impact the death of her father and Tropical Storm Harvey had on her decision to go to play basketball at Texas? When she committed to UCONN is was not to be a part of the rowing team and I don't know of any recruit for which "family considerations" are not a part of the college decision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Hurricane was the reason she decided to stay close to her family. Otherwise she was committed to coming. It was until after the shock of how bad the hurricane was, that she decided to stay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sadly for some ppl success is only winning a title, crazy thought for some ppl but there are people that go to a school to have fun, get an education. I know mindblowing.

Reaction Score
That's not my point. Charli Collier played basketball at Texas or do you think she went to Texas because of the good chemistry program? Any basketball scholarship is about basketball opportunities regardless if it is a BB scholarship to UCONN or Memphis State. People are absolutely correct in suggesting that UCONN missed out on a number of golden opportunities and Charli Collier was among them. Do you actually know what happened with her recruitment or do you need a refresher? For example, do you realize that she was committed to Texas prior to committing to UCONN before changing her mind and returning to her original commitment of Texas? Do you know the impact the death of her father and Tropical Storm Harvey had on her decision to go to play basketball at Texas?
I stand corrected. I didn’t remember all those details about her recruitment. You give a lot more nuance to the picture. My shorthand presentation didn’t capture the whole story. Still it isn’t a picture of failed effort.

Yes, we “missed out” on a good player. But this is not a case of a bungled opportunity, which is what I heard in the last few threads. Or haven’t you noticed the recurring criticisms of Geno’s efforts in this vein?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I didn’t remember all those details about her recruitment. You give a lot more nuance to the picture. My shorthand presentation didn’t capture the whole story. Still it isn’t a picture of failed effort.

Yes, we “missed out” on a good player. But this is not a case of a bungled opportunity, which is what I heard in the last few threads. Or haven’t you noticed the recurring criticisms of Geno’s efforts in this vein?
Of course there are two sides to everything. Charli Collier originally committed to Texas in 8th grade. She subsequently committed to UConn in November of 2016 after her father’s death in April of 2016. In September of 2017, following Hurricane Harvey, she recommitted to Texas.

Collier listed the hurricane and her father’s death as reasons to recommit to TX. Considering that she only committed to UConn after her father passed away, it’s difficult to rationalize that comment. In the end, I think her decision was much the same as A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox & Haley Jones. She simply decided that she wanted to be closer to friends, family and home.

Getting top recruits to travel thousands of miles from home to attend a school in Storrs, CT is an extremely challenging endeavor. The fact that Geno succeeds with so many such top recruits never ceases to amaze me.

Reaction Score
So... who else entered the transfer portal??‍♂️
Last thoughts on the transfer portal (until the next time I look at it):
  • Less than half of the 1240 players have found new homes
  • I’m guessing that some of this has to do with coaching matters, but wow, what is up with all the players leaving Arizona, BC, FSU, Kentucky, Maryland, OK St, Oregon?
  • Some very interesting/solid pick-ups by: Baylor (tho’, is Edwards eligible next year?), Duke (got some bigs!), Georgia (UCF tough, plus another in Audrey Warren), Indiana (3 nice additions), Kentucky (4 interesting transfers), LSU (Angel Reese(!) plus . . . .), Maryland (filling the departures nicely), NC St (couple of nice new bigs), Notre Dame (lost a few, picked up a few), Tennessee (4 solid additions (plus Horston and Key back); watch out!), Texas (lost a few, but a solid pick-up in Taylor Jones), Va Tech (adding Owusu, Soule, plus . . . .)
  • To replace Piath on the roster, or not to replace Piath on the roster: that is the question. (And Piath was on the roster when Ayanna and Ice committed, so a different big on the roster isn’t another big on the roster from their perspective.) If “No,” then we’re done here. If “Yes,” perhaps one of the following (assuming hypothetical UConn interest is mutual) could provide at least what Piath was expected to provide: Jennifer Ezeh (6’3” Missouri St), Khadijah Faye (6’4” Texas Tech), Abigayle Jackson (6’3” Missouri St), Emily Kiser (6’3” Michigan), Latasha Lattimore (6’4” Texas), Destiny Thomas (6’2” UCF), Salina Walker (6’5” Rutgers)

Reaction Score
Collier listed the hurricane and her father’s death as reasons to recommit to TX. Considering that she only committed to UConn after her father passed away, it’s difficult to rationalize that comment. In the end, I think her decision was much the same as A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox & Haley Jones. She simply decided that she wanted to be closer to friends, family and home.
Because of THE BRUTAL Hurricane - she decided she needed to stay close to her family. These type of disasters close to home will force these young players to change their minds. The Hurricane was BRUTAL.

Reaction Score
Totally agree that Collier felt she made the right decision going to Texas. Until recently, lived near Dallas and traveled frequently to Austin. Collier received great press and in the interviews I saw appeared very happy.

Reaction Score
Going #1 in the draft would certainly be high on most player's lists. Even in a state with strong Baylor and A&M women's basketball programs, Texas is a "Big Dog" and its top players get significant publicity. There are many different basketball goals - I suspect Collier feels just fine about her decision.

Reaction Score
I was for getting a big earlier but only if it were a top big. At this point, I go into next year with what we have now.

Reaction Score
Going #1 in the draft would certainly be high on most player's lists. Even in a state with strong Baylor and A&M women's basketball programs, Texas is a "Big Dog" and its top players get significant publicity. There are many different basketball goals - I suspect Collier feels just fine about her decision.
You make a good point. Still, I think it’s an open question which is more important to HS kids, a shot at a NC or a high draft pick. Once you finish college, professional opportunities are obviously the main thing. But we see lots of examples of kids staying an extra year in college just for another shot at the title.

The original question concerned whether Geno is blowing recruitment opportunities and Collier was cited more than once as one he failed on. Subsequent comments have made it clear that she had other concerns which the benefits of UConn could not compete with. So much for that line of thinking then, if Collier’s considerations weren’t simply about what school provided the best opportunity.

I don’t know her personally, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that she harbored some regrets about choosing a school that would never have a shot at the title. Other reasons dictated this choice, so Geno is clearly not to blame. Try a thought experiment and ask if Boston would have happily gone to a non-contender like VA Tech or UCF or Georgia. I think the answer is no. She had offers and one of the factors was likely to have been which school has the best chance at an NC. I’m sure Collier’s thought process must have been similar.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The same thing is happening to this thread as happened to the first May recruiting thread -- it has strayed far away from the announced subject (activity in the transfer portal) to a completely unrelated discussion. In my opinion, besides being off-topic, the new subject matter is distasteful and has been discussed previously on other threads.

@HuskyNan , is it time to lock this thread for the same reasons, and start a new one?

Reaction Score
Interesting that you started following UCONN only two years ago and you have come to know so much about South Carolina’s Culture and Boston’s recruitment who is about to enter her senior season. Every recruitment is in part about cultural fit. UCONN is among the most selective programs in WCBB. If you had only stop there you would probably have universal agreement. But you didn’t. Your compulsion led you straight to the eye lash thing and clean cut and cultural issues and now you are tripling down. Boston is New England prep school educated big time baller who chose to play her basketball at South Carolina. Boston would have been a great cultural fit at UCONN, Stanford or on Mars.
Exactly it seems as though that poster is making big accusations with little history or actual knowledge on what they speak on. It seems as though a case of judging a book by its cover. As a Gamecock fan I can honestly say in the past 10+ years I don't recall there ever being any major discipline problems and the players both current and older all generally close till this day.

If anything Geno and Dawn are more similar as to how they approach their respective programs than they are different. They are both no nonsense coaches on the court and they recruit players who are team oriented and respectful. Sure they have different personalities that may come across different to the casual fan, but trust that Dawn isn't as laid back as some believe.

The true difference between the two programs as it relates to the players are the types of players from a physical/skill standpoint moreso than for a character standpoint. Dawn often recruits the more physically gifted and athletic players whereas Geno recruits the more skilled and polished players but they both have a general standard and often recruit some of the same players that fall under both.

The other big difference is where they recruit players from, UConn has shown the ability to recruit top players from basically anywhere, whereas South Carolina is still somewhat limited, they've found their success mostly in the South, the East Coast and the Midwest at times.

As for Boston she could have came down to South Carolina for multiple reasons. For one both she and Dawn are quite open about their faith. Or perhaps she didn't want to remain in the cold climate of New England at the time. Or maybe she thought she was going to have to come off the bench behind ONO for 3 years and saw a perfect opportunity to start here at South Carolina. Or maybe she wanted to play for someone who actually did all the things she wants to do in her career.

At the end of the day I believe it's best that we don't try to diminish others for their differences. In a sport that's often ridicules women for not looking feminine enough, I can see where many coaches, especially female coaches are not taking issues with their players expressing their beauty in their own way as long as it doesn't effect their play.

The cultural aspect that matters as it relates to any program is the character of those who are a part of it. I can say with ease that both programs have produced amazing women who have been role models both on and off the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom