Transfer portal - outbound | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are in trouble on the OL. If my counts are correct, we are losing 7 OL this year: 2 RSo, 3 RJr, and 2 RSr. That leaves us with 7 scholarship OL and 1 walk-on. We are going to need 3 Grad transfers or JUCOs.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t one of the arguments about canning Edsall that players would leave? This is a completely normal thing now for all FBS teams - players enter the portal.
I am extremely concerned about the Oline next year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are in trouble on the OL. If my counts are correct, we are losing 7 OL this year: 2 RSo, 3 RJr, and 2 RSr. That leaves us with 7 scholarship OL and 1 walk-on. We are going to need 3 Grad transfers or JUCOs.

This is my biggest worry. If your OL is screwed, your team is screwed. And I'm tired of being screwed...

Reaction Score
It would be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, but Travis Jones would make a heck of an offensive lineman. HCRE originally recruited him for OL.

Reaction Score
This is my biggest worry. If your OL is screwed, your team is screwed. And I'm tired of being screwed...

just saying in the QB thread.. only ones with game experience coming back as starters are Van Demark and Haynes.. hope they stay healthy or the defense will be our strong group next year.
Who’s going to be the center now with Leone and Hubbard gone? Rooney?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We have 8 lineman and 1 walk on - Niedrowski, Rooney, Ofori-Nyadu, Haynes, Brown, Van Demark, Lundt, Torres Silva and Wardlaw as the walk on. We need some JUCO's here.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Need to relax academic requirements moving into Independent status for football players. Best way to get better talent in quickly.

to be honest losing players is never great but I can’t tell you that anyone of these guys are game changers for us.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t one of the arguments about canning Edsall that players would leave? This is a completely normal thing now for all FBS teams - players enter the portal.
I am extremely concerned about the Oline next year.

Actually one of the arguments was to preserve continuity and not disrupt the foundation being built. Letting RE develop his guys. But for the most part, OL guys aren't plug-n-play. Hope they end up in a good spot.

Reaction Score
It would be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, but Travis Jones would make a heck of an offensive lineman. HCRE originally recruited him for OL.

I have been thinking that also. He doesn’t seem to have the burst off the line you like to see on defense.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking that also. He doesn’t seem to have the burst off the line you like to see on defense.
Nah. I keep him there. Would like to see him trim down another 10lbs or so. He is a load and the only guy on that DL that draws the occasional double team.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
need a couple of portal transfers and JUCO'S on the offensive line and a class with 4-5 OL

Reaction Score
So far, Leone, Garson, Hahn, and Graham were all known departures that participated in senior day.

Hubbard played in three games backing up Leone and getting the start in the finale. Wondering if Edsall knew about the departure when he decided to give him the start on Saturday.

Holmes played in all 12 games as a backup on the line.

Reaction Score
OL guys aren't stupid, in fact they are usually the tightest and smartest group on a team. They see it is impossible to effectively block when the defense can read the offensive play/set so often. You know you can't make 3rd and 1 from a shotgun hand off to Mensah 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage, your head coach's "IT" QB is a freshman and can't pass, can't run and fumbles a lot; that is what you have to look forward to next year and beyond.
No speculating on specific transfers, I'm speculating there are more unspecific transfers to come.

C

Chief00

Hubbard is an Edsall kid and has played sparingly through his career here. He started vs Temple last saturday. Stinks to see him go, I liked the way he played and he would have filled the void in a now very depleted offensive line.
And who doubles as the OC and OL Coach? I don’t see any of the players thanking him?

Reaction Score
Keep Jones at DT. Just get he and Caleb some additional rotational help at DT as well as a legit edge rusher, not another project. Can't afford another one

Reaction Score
So you want to take a kid with “no burst” and make him an OL? Jones plays DL because he commands a double team. His job in most cases is not to rush upfield. He’s a space eater who has A-gap responsibility against the run game. The problem with Jones (and this goes back to his high school days) he plays too high. Until he learns that low man wins, he’ll continue to underperform. He could be great if he had coaches that could teach him to play lower. It’s impossible to beat a double team if you stand up. Show him tape of Foley and tell him that’s what he could be.

Reaction Score
So you want to take a kid with “no burst” and make him an OL? Jones plays DL because he commands a double team. His job in most cases is not to rush upfield. He’s a space eater who has A-gap responsibility against the run game. The problem with Jones (and this goes back to his high school days) he plays too high. Until he learns that low man wins, he’ll continue to underperform. He could be great if he had coaches that could teach him to play lower. It’s impossible to beat a double team if you stand up. Show him tape of Foley and tell him that’s what he could be.

"No burst" is a little dramatic.
You probably know more about Football than me but it would seem more important to have more bust off the line of defense than offense.
Let me ask you would it be better for a guy who has problems getting low to be on defense or offensive line or would it depend if he is run blocking or in pass protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom